Bitwig Studio 1.2 BETA-5

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ThomasHelzle wrote:
Hez wrote:Keep getting some perma-audio engine crashes. I can work for a while (30-60 mins) then something will crash the audio engine (haven't tracked it down to anything in particular yet, although clicking through multiple things in the browser while audio is playing seems to cause it quite a lot). I then can't enable the audio engine again on the project until I restart my computer (even restarting Bitwig doesn't help). Seems to be primarily related to third party plugins, if I start a new project then add stuff gradually it will work, but opening any old project with third party plugins immediately crashes the engine once this glitch has occurred.

I'm also getting a few errors with the saving of plugin states, which I haven't seen for a while. I wonder whether the two are related. Seem to have a few error messages relating to plugin states in temp directories, presumably this is where they are held whilst a project is actively being worked on?

After a fresh PC reboot these projects open fine until the crash happens again half an hour or so into a session.

Also had a few memory leak issues where my PC had BSOD'd a few seconds after getting a windows error message asking me to close BitwigPluginHost as it is using 15GB of memory.

Have submitted crash reports on these, just wondering whether anybody else is having similar issues?
Sounds like a plugin problem. Maybe you can track down the plugin with the memory leak by having a look at the task manager and only loading one plugin at a time (of those you use in the affected projects). If the plugin memory consumption is growing steadily, that should be your target.
What OS and what audio interface are you using? How much RAM do you have?

Cheers,

Tom
Hm I know specifically which project causes the memory leak and have kept a very close eye on task manager whilst working on that project. The memory usage seems pretty stable for the first 20 mins or so so I keep forgetting to check it after a while then suddenly get the error message.

Unfortunately don't have the time at the moment to spend an hour at a time playing around with one plugin until the memory usage starts to ramp up :P there are about 30 different plugins on that track so I think it'd take a while. Off the top of my head the only one I haven't used for a while is FerricTDS though so might look further into that.

Win8.1, Audient id22, 16GB RAM.

Ogopogo wrote:"Steal Release Time" on the sampler - so as far as I can tell this adds a fade out to a voice that gets cut off by another voice. For example if you have the sampler in mono mode, you are playing a note, and then you hit another note before you let go, the second note starts immediately and the first note fades out according to the steal release time instead of just cutting off like it did before? Right? So this is for getting rid of pops that you would normally get when a voice cuts off abruptly?
Can anyone tell me if this is right? I think I've found a bug if so.

Found a bug when extending all clips in arrange view but it only happens if there is a group track in the selection.

Recreate:

open new instance BWS in arrange view.
add some clips
duplicate the tracks.
group a few
use the cmd-a command to select all the clips

now try to drag them so they are longer.

I cant see the tracks until I release the mouse.

Anyone else seeing this?

osx 10.9.5

Hez wrote: Hm I know specifically which project causes the memory leak and have kept a very close eye on task manager whilst working on that project. The memory usage seems pretty stable for the first 20 mins or so so I keep forgetting to check it after a while then suddenly get the error message.

Unfortunately don't have the time at the moment to spend an hour at a time playing around with one plugin until the memory usage starts to ramp up :P there are about 30 different plugins on that track so I think it'd take a while. Off the top of my head the only one I haven't used for a while is FerricTDS though so might look further into that.

Win8.1, Audient id22, 16GB RAM.
If you switch in preferences to having each plugin in it's own process ("Each plug-in"), all of them will show up separately in the Task Manager as BitwigPluginHost... and you can check if one of them has constantly growing memory demand (enable the extended view) - which usually defines a memory leak. From there you can start to track it down to a single plugin by removing one at a time from the offending project. When the one with growing memory consumption goes away, that is your candidate.
Also make sure you use the latest version of all those plugins, maybe it's fixed already.

But if that is not the problem - having problems after a certain time can also be heat related, so make sure to un-dust the insides, the fans and coolers and monitor your temperatures.
Maybe a RAM-check would also make sense.

Latest audio interface drivers is also worth a try. I didn't know the audient - looks nice.

Blue screens usually are hardware or driver related. Can also be bad memory, a component that breaks under heat, a bad or broken driver...

Bitwig itself can't really create a bluescreen AFAIK, but it may trigger one through a faulty component that is getting more stress than usual.

Good luck in hunting the bug down!

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

"Depressed" white keys are easier to see but the blacks are still unclear.

svervs wrote:
psydave wrote:The (re)naming of tracks shouldn't be that annoying. I always have to flip-in the "i"-frame for renaming a track - would work much better just by doubleclicking at the tracks name.
You can Ctrl-Shift click (Mac) on a name to edit it.

I'd like to see double-click on groups to unfold them.
+100

I just spent 2 minutes trying to figure out how to fold the tracks. random clicking until I hit the folder icon. It feels natural to double click to fold and unfold.

When you start the engine with a misconfigured "device" in the Mac Audio/Midi panel, you get a "debug" error box instead of a "misconfigured interface" kind of message. Not actually a bug but not easy for the end user to figure out the issue.
Thanks!

I can't get my DENON 300USB device to work with Bitwig 1.2 beta5 and I get this error:

It works fine with 1.1.

All those errors should go to the beta support mail address you got in your invitation mail.
Some such errors are to be expected since Port Audio was replaced by a custom solution for talking to audio devices.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

Ogopogo wrote:Image

"Depressed" white keys are easier to see but the blacks are still unclear.
This is honestly one of the most exciting updates (for me), and it's about 25% of the way there. If they can highlight depressed black keys better, and also highlight the entire row in the piano roll, that would be a huge win (when writing music with other people).

mail sent, and tech support request sent too.

It is just me or anybody else is getting a strange sound when you play a synth (some kind of "patterned noise") using a midi keyboard :?:

I am getting a pretty strange sounding synth when I play them with both Novation SLMk2 or launchpad, but they sound fine when the notes are painted in the piano roll.

Is anybody else getting some trouble with template locations not showing up? I used the "add new location button" in the "choose a template" screen and selected my Bitwig project folder, but no templates are showing up. The folder I added is not showing up in the template locations column either.

Ogopogo wrote:Is anybody else getting some trouble with template locations not showing up
Yep. I have a custom library path set, but templates are saved at default location, and don't show up. For me it works, to copy the templates over to the custom folder.
Reported and they've reproduced it.

Ah good, thanks.

Return to “Bitwig”