Helm: new cross platform synth beta release

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some more questions:
- Any plans for having categories/a preset browser? Maybe even sharing presets online like synthmaster and curve 2?
- Any roadmap?
- Are you serious about making this the best freeware synth? It's on its way already :)

Chris-S wrote: - What does the switch Unison-H do?
The 'H' stands for harmonize.
When not active, all the voices are slightly detuned off the fundamental frequency (root).
When active, one is detuned off of the root, the next is the the second harmonic (2 x fundamental frequency), the next is the third harmonic (3 x fundamental), etc..
It turns the unison into a kind of basic additive synth. I might add some more harmonic shaping here in the future maybe..
Chris-S wrote: - Is Osc-Crossmod ring-modulation or FM or what?
It's a type of phase modulation. Each oscillator has a hidden sine wave with the same phase as the oscillator. This sin wave modulates the phase of the other oscillator. This might change in the future (maybe way down the line in version 2) because I'm not *that* happy with how it sounds.
Chris-S wrote: - Is the Lowpass Filter 12 or 24db?
Filters are 2 pole, so the low-pass is 12db/octave
Chris-S wrote: - How to set the Osc level to zero (if I want only the noise for example)?
Heh. I'm going to add a mixer in a version or two. Till then you can 0 the Transpose and Tune knobs and make one oscillator the saw 'up' wave and the other oscillator a saw 'down' wave. Definitely a hack, my bad on that design.

Matt

urlwolf wrote: - Any plans for having categories/a preset browser? Maybe even sharing presets online like synthmaster and curve 2?
Man, I would *love* to. But I really don't want pay for the server time (I'm running low on cash as it is), and I think I would need an active server to do this. We'll see, I'll put this on my 'would like to haves'
urlwolf wrote: - Any roadmap?
Not a public one, no. Maybe I should though.. Or maybe I'll just write to my blog more often..
urlwolf wrote: - Are you serious about making this the best freeware synth? It's on its way already :)
Well when it gets there, you let me know and I'll quote you ;) I could never say that myself.

Any cubase 64bit users get this to show up in their vst scan i put it in my vst folder with the rest of my other vst (which all show up)but helm.dll does not show up at all its as if its not there ,i already checked the vst3 folder as suggested but helm wasn't there is this a bug.

xenophobic wrote:Any cubase 64bit users get this to show up in their vst scan i put it in my vst folder with the rest of my other vst (which all show up)but helm.dll does not show up at all its as if its not there ,i already checked the vst3 folder as suggested but helm wasn't there is this a bug.
( as I already wrote in a post higher up ;) )..
me wrote:Because this also installs as a VST3 version, it will hide the VST2.4 version. You should find it in the VST3 folder "Synth".
(Disclaimer: I'm using the full version of Cubase 8, but there's no reason why Cubase 7 Artist should be any different in this respect ;) )
Helm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I did get a life,once...but it was faulty, so I sent it back.

Sorry Still not there must be a bug in my cubase

xenophobic wrote:Sorry Still not there must be a bug in my cubase
So it didn't install either the VST3 nor the VST2 version?
I've just tried here in Cubase 7.0.7 (Mac of course), and it is still fine here. Try removing (temporarily) your Cubase Artist 7 folder from the Roaming folder (so that it builds a new one from scratch).
I did get a life,once...but it was faulty, so I sent it back.

Awesome synth Matt, thank you so much. Great GUI and the logo is kewel.
I'll get about making some patches for you, and donate when I can. Thanks again :)

thanks for this! :tu:

Heads up: there are a bunch of new presets on the git repo.
Here:
https://github.com/mtytel/helm_patches

This is shaping out to be a great plugin! Love the harmonize feature.

Noticed a bug though.
Helm v0.4.1, Windows 32-bit VST2.4, Reaper 5.
When you first engage the delay or change the delay frequency, the delayed signal changes in pitch on the first note. It also seems to matter which direction you change it.
Go from a low value to high value, the pitch rises.
Go from a high value to low value, the pitch drops.

This only happens on the first note you play after changing the delay frequency. After that it's fine.
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

Also, feature question:
Maybe I'm just missing it, but is there any way to change oscillator phase? Or more specifically, to make the unison free-running. Can't get those juicy supersaws without it! :ud:
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

Kriminal wrote:apparently MSVCP110.dll is missing from my computer
Same here, w7 x64 with FL 11 and 12 here, got that error from both x86 and x64 versions. MS VCredists in all shapes and colors are already on the PC, did not help.

I'd only need the 32bit-version tbh since this isn't a MultiGigabyteRomplermonster. I'd also welcome a zipped archive, installers seem a bit clumsy.

The GUI looks quite promising - i'm still on the fence about the next steps. Thank you for sharing!

New version of Helm is out - v0.5.0 and it's got a new patch browser!
You'll have to download it to see what it looks like though :P

You can grab the latest here: http://tytel.org/helm
Let me know what you think :D

List of changes:
- New patch browser!
- Added a bunch of patches submitted by Cris Owl Alvarez
- Finally fixed AAX plugin on OSX ( Windows AAX still broken :( )
- Fixed latency when playing monophonically with legato off
- Portamento now always uses the last note pressed to slide from
- Saving dialog shows up over synth now
- Saving now allows to specify author
- Fixed freeze when quickly loading patches
- Fixed audio breaking bug when first note is played with formant filter on
- JACK inputs are now labeled "Helm"
- Tooltip shows better names for controls
- Fixed setting new parameters with old patches
- Added configuration file where users can customize the keyboard layout
- Added --version [-v] flag for GNU/Linux
- Fixed clipped text on GNU/Linux

Is it a .dll yet or do you need to jump thru hoops to then find it doesnt work.

Return to “Instruments”