VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fluffy_little_something wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Numanoid wrote:What this forum missed, an ADM vs Intel handbag fight :lol:
Yep. :)

Personally, i'm done with AMD. Had AMD for years on 2 different computers, both had graphics drivers issues (one card didn't even accept the factory drivers, so i had to use 3rd party ones, LOL), and the performance wasn't really sensational (the Athlon XP 2000+ was rock solid though). Intel/NVidia is always better in benchmarks, and not much more expensive these days, so my opinion is, why bother?
No idea what you did there with your cards. Did you contact support or take it back to where you bought it?
The one in my older PC was a Radeon 9500 Pro from Hercules, which only worked with the drivers from Hercules, but those were stone old. So i tried the ones from ATI, they didn't work with the card... on installing, it showed me an error window where it said the GPU is incompatible with the driver. So i used 3rd party ones, don't even remember from where. But the guy stopped doing those drivers, because his wife got ill unfortunately. And on my last PC before the one i have now, i had a Radeon HD 3870, which is a pretty standard model. I always had flickering in games, textures, shadows, you name it. I even thought it was normal in games these days, because some "smart" people on the net said so. Surprised i was when i had no flickering at all on my recent PC with a NVidia card. :) And it runs everything, i didn't have a single game or application yet which didn't run, or had issues on this thing. I won't claim it's a general thing that Intel/NVidia is better than AMD, but my experience is that it is. Also running a laptop with Intel, and it works nicely too.

Hercules, I vaguely remember that brand, can't say anything about it...

I don't even have a graphics card, only the built-in graphic, but it seems to work well. Occasionally there is odd behavior, but I am not sure it has to do with AMD. For instance U-he synth user interfaces seem to slightly paralyze graphics, the bigger the GUI size, the worse it gets.

If you don't have to deal much with graphics stuff, you won't have a problem i guess. And it will be different from GPU to GPU too. But i'm not the only one who thinks that AMD drivers are often bad, there's a lot of posts on forums about it. Of course, if you search enough, you will find problems with anything on the net. :) I just realized that it overlaps in my cases.

What I find mindboggling seeing that there seems to be Intel and AMD fanbois, is that Intel and ADM main HQ's are located only 5 miles from each other :o

It's like Tottenham Arsenal, or Celtic Rangers rivalry

What does that have to do with anything? In the Silicon Valley there are also lots of companies close to each other and yet fiercely competing with each other.

fluffy_little_something wrote:What does that have to do with anything? In the Silicon Valley there are also lots of companies close to each other and yet fiercely competing with each other.
Somebody like yourself that seems to be passionate about which chip manufacturer that you chose.

Don't you find it disturbing that the one you love is located so close to the "enemy"

Shouldn't you rather back an European micro-chip manufacturer than somebody based in California.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Not really, many people, including me, buy AMD for ideological reasons, it is like MS vs Apple.
It's not. AMD just can't keep up with Intel's tech and that's why all of the professional applications are tested (almost) exclusively on Intel chips. I'm not a Intel fanboy or anything - prior to my current processor (i7-5820k) I had a Phenom 955 BE which served me well. However, Intel processors are in another league.
Last edited by Cimbasso on Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

No fanboyism from my side. I couldn't care less whether i use Intel or AMD, just tending to the Intel side more lately, just because it works for me. :)

As ED already pointed out Intel is the way to go unless you don't have the money then AMD is a great alternative. What have this to do with fanboy? Nothing.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

I'm waiting for the next Cyrix CPU. :D

Numanoid wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:What does that have to do with anything? In the Silicon Valley there are also lots of companies close to each other and yet fiercely competing with each other.
Somebody like yourself that seems to be passionate about which chip manufacturer that you chose.

Don't you find it disturbing that the one you love is located so close to the "enemy"

Shouldn't you rather back an European micro-chip manufacturer than somebody based in California.
Huh? I don't love AMD. It simply is the lesser evil to me. And if there were a European alternative I might support it, I suppose. But there is none afaik. Maybe there will be Asian ones in the future, Huawei, Samsung, etc. But I guess they are not really interested in that old-skool chip market. Sooner or later their mobile chips might outperform Intel and AMD anyway.

murnau wrote:What have this to do with fanboy? Nothing.
I guess you never heard of sarcasm .:hihi:
~Pyrotek45

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sooner or later their mobile chips might outperform Intel and AMD anyway.

Yyyyyyeeeeeaaaahhhh right. LOL. It'll never happen because mobile phone CPUs have to be extremely low TDP. Not to mention mobile CPUs don't have the same instruction set that desktop CPUs have. It's a completely different league.

Mobile is not just cell phones, but also tablets and similar devices.
Sooner or later there will be a new platform with new instruction set and everything. Nothing lasts forever...

Probably later than sooner, x86 is still what the majority of software is using, so that's what's it going to be for quite some time to come.

Return to “Instruments”