Recommend good saturation plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

arkmabat wrote:In all fairness to the quoted user, it depends on what sounds you are applying the effect to, no? At least with compression it can really make a different what sound you're applying it to. I really know next to nothing about tape saturation though.
No, you are right.

It's those who are attacking or laughing at those who don't hear what they claim to hear who are wrong.

KVR is for an open exchange of ideas, and for us to help each other. It's not here for people to be laughed at or dismissed by pretentious jerks who probably couldn't tell the difference between tape saturation and tape hiss.

"Tape saturation" can range from extremely subtle to extremely distorted. And there are poseurs who will pretend to be able to hear the difference in all the variations, or tell you which plug-in will do exactly what you need--even when you haven't specifically stated what you need. :roll:

This is the second time in two forums (and in two days) I've seen people laughing at--or openly mocking--others simply because the others didn't agree with them. These are opinions, folks; they're not laws. If someone doesn't agree with your opinion, there's no need to belittle that person. It doesn't make you look any better, that's for damn sure.

Arkmabat (and others), don't question your own knowledge or ability if a "peer" is laughing at you. If he's laughing at you, he isn't your goddamned "peer" anyway.

[/rant:off]

Steve

EDIT: And "thank you" to the others who posted useful advice and information here, and stayed above the fray.
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote:
Arkmabat (and others), don't question your own knowledge or ability if a "peer" is laughing at you. If he's laughing at you, he isn't your goddamned "peer" anyway.
+1
This is very true.

It's good to see people actually stand up and call some of the bullshit out. I appreciate that.

I've let myself get dragged down by some of the negative attitudes at kvr. I guess i was hoping for a supportive community with enthusiastic people who just want to learn together but many times i find myself surround by elitests. Some people seem to have nothing better to do with their time than belittle others versus attempting to help them. After a while you stop caring about the community and forget it's real people behind every post. I've been guilty in the past for posting stuff that wasn't very helpful or nice when i honestly should have not posted at all.
I guess the take away from this, is that if you plan on replying please keep it positive and helpful or dont post at all. I'm certainly going to be doing this from now on :tu:
:borg:

In all fairness to the quoted user, it depends on what sounds you are applying the effect to, no? At least with compression it can really make a different what sound you're applying it to.
Well yes. I have nice compression already set up and don't need any more plugins to do that for me. I want saturation plugin that saturates the signal and nothing else. Also I tried new plugins on already finished mixes and see if it can do any better than that.

I don't like when plugins try to outsmart me and apply some advanced algorithms under the hood that developers claims to "sound better". The plugin is useful only if I know and hear what it does and can control it to my liking.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:
Ferric TDS
I just tried it. Another one VoS' plugins which has almost inaudible effect.
How are you using it? Put an instance on one track - set the saturation to about 30% then back off the output by about 3 notches (that output knob is notched in very small increments). This should get the perceptive loudness equal when bypassing the plugin. Now copy and paste the plugin in its current state across to every track in your project. Hopefully you will have a host that allows you to bypass them all at once (Reaper does this) - toggle between states - you should hear what it does.

Admittedly I'm not a fan of what it does but it does have a 'sound'. If you engage the compression it will be more audible.

I'm not going to be much help with recommendations as I don't really like any of them :neutral: The only one I've heard that sounds very natural and pleasing is the algorithm in Harrison Mixbus.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

DJ Warmonger wrote:Hello KVers!

I'm recently exploring saturation techniques. I would be interested especially in a simple tape saturation plugin. Preferably free, but I would like to har your opinion on what is the best in market overall.
Steve Slate's VTM and CDSoundMaster's VTMM2 are the only two I recommend.
For more extensive controls but less realism, try SKnote's Roundtone.

planetearth wrote:
arkmabat wrote: Arkmabat (and others), don't question your own knowledge or ability if a "peer" is laughing at you. If he's laughing at you, he isn't your goddamned "peer" anyway.
What made you think I'm laughing at arkmabat ? I said I agree with him. Sorry for the grotesque humour in my postings, if anybody offended.

In short ; subtleties support any art form on their way from good to great. I believe in this way. And I believe it can not be underestimated.

Return to “Effects”