Best vst for Supersaw?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JP-4c

Mutant wrote:And as i always say in supersaw threads: you can build your own supersaw even on a synth that doesn't have one, like some Minimoog or any other vintage mono synth emulation.
Just spawn as many instances of the synth as you need or as your CPU can carry (i like an uneven number to have 1 center perfect pitch).
Detune them by few cents to maybe about 30 cents and pan them.
For example -30,-20,-10,-5,0,+5,+10,+20,+30
You can even make them move around if the synth has a random LFO with smooth ramps between values.
With Korg Wavestation you could use up to 32 detuned waveforms. I had used a sample from my hardware Wavestation for my commercial PPG Wave 3.V soundset (not sure how many detuned Saws i used there).

With the Wavestation plugin using 32 oscillators could be played polyphonic while in the hardware it is monophonic then.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:With Korg Wavestation you could use up to 32 detuned waveforms. I had used a sample from my hardware Wavestation for my commercial PPG Wave 3.V soundset (not sure how many detuned Saws i used there).

With the Wavestation plugin using 32 oscillators could be played polyphonic while in the hardware it is monophonic then.
I am not sure if 32 saws per note is even necessary. :)
Btw the 1024 in my example clip i posted on 1st page, is the number of saws in the clip.
It was an overkill, but i did it just for fun and because i could. :)
If i remember correctly it was 8x polyphony * 16 saws per oscillator * 2 oscillators * 4x unison.
The unison kinda made it like 64 saws per note, but i remember that it made a very little difference compared to no unison.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Well, it is not Super 7

Revisited it yesterday, and it sounds far too thin

Anything above 2 x 8 saws (or waveforms in general) sounds unpleasant to me, and i'm not sure about the musical use... i mean, basically it's simply a replacement for a chorus effect, isn't it? Or vice versa. Layering sounds is another thing, because then you can bring different timbres or frequencies into play.

Xenos wrote: BTW, did anyone mention Synthmaster? That would be another good one to check out.
Thanks Brian for mentioning SM. I don't know if you've checked out v2.7, but the osc unison has improved a LOT: We added detune curve & voices mix, the curve especially helps a lot in getting smooth supersaws:
OscVoices.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

Anything above 2 x 8 saws (or waveforms in general) sounds unpleasant to me, and i'm not sure about the musical use
Maybe not for the lead, but for pad and ambience - why not? You don't always need to hear sharp pitch, it can be blurred among multiple voices.

Also, with more voices you can get away with more detune without hearing them individually.
We added detune curve & voices mix
Both Serum and Dune 2 have that feature, I believe it should be standard now for polyphonic virtual synths.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:
Anything above 2 x 8 saws (or waveforms in general) sounds unpleasant to me, and i'm not sure about the musical use
Maybe not for the lead, but for pad and ambience - why not? You don't always need to hear sharp pitch, it can be blurred among multiple voices.

Also, with more voices you can get away with more detune without hearing them individually.
Now that you say it, i must admit that i sometimes use 3 x 8 voices, with one of the 3 tuned down an octave, and it sounds nice too. :) Well, bottom line i guess is, do whatever floats your boat. But when i fiddle with Dune CM, where you can add unison on the oscillator level, and add a lot of unison voices then, it becomes messy and noisy at some point.

JP6K is the best plugin I've used designed specifically to emulate the JP8000 supersaw.

I know i'm a fanboy, but the the JP-8K supersaw waveform in Electra2 sounds pretty damn good too, both for pads, and for typical "supersaw" sounds.

kv331 wrote:
Xenos wrote: BTW, did anyone mention Synthmaster? That would be another good one to check out.
Thanks Brian for mentioning SM. I don't know if you've checked out v2.7, but the osc unison has improved a LOT: We added detune curve & voices mix, the curve especially helps a lot in getting smooth supersaws:
OscVoices.png
Damn right. Synthmaster rules :tu:

http://www.hypernewbie.com/software.php
Hyperstack has like 64 saw oscillators.

kv331 wrote:
OscVoices.png
Greatest synth! Supersaw-sound are now undisputed!
Thank you guys, for your remarkable work! I'd like to ask, why almost all presets are so quiet?
I need to enable BOOST button to make it to usual for me level (as in another synths).
Maybe i lost something?

dioxine wrote:
Greatest synth! Supersaw-sound are now undisputed!
Thank you guys, for your remarkable work! I'd like to ask, why almost all presets are so quiet?
I need to enable BOOST button to make it to usual for me level (as in another synths).
Maybe i lost something?
I guess it varies from DAW to DAW ?

We normalize our presets with Reaper all the time, and try to keep the level at -3 dB.
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

kv331 wrote:We normalize our presets with Reaper all the time, and try to keep the level at -3 dB.
Which I appreciate. A lot of synths these days try to get as close as possible to 0dB making several of them clip if chords are played. It's nice not having to immediately reach for the master volume every time I open some synths.
Feel free to call me Brian.

I find that, in general, it's not the software that counts so much as the... oil. Yep, that's my secret sauce for really super saws:

Return to “Instruments”