Hard Mode: Rough house FM Chord - I can't even get close!

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello!

So this one could be hard, and I don't expect to fully get the sound, but closer would be great.

Here is the track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DIwOZyE4rc

The sound in question is the main phrase/chord at 1:03 onwards and throughout the track.

What I know already:

It's a sampled chord being transposed up and down the scale.
It's 99% FM in source.

What I've tried so far:

Downloaded all the classic DX presents and loaded them into FM8. I them sampled various chords out into maschine. This has been great for finding classic sounds, but I haven't found anything with so much "bite" like the track has.

I've also learned the basics of FM to try and make a patch myself. Again, some interesting results but nothing close.

Any tips or attempts to get a sound similar is greatly appreciated, it's been bugging me forever!

Cheers!

Old-school house isn't really my area of "expertise", but I did find this tutorial for you, which I think is pretty close to that song. here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G54BmRvMR3Y

You are most likely correct in that it's a sampled chord being pitched, but you can try out a patch and play the chords yourself. From what I just hear from listening now, I believe it's a minor fifth chord. Can't really say more without a piano/keyboard present. Basically, adding 5th, 7th, or 9th to your "standard" chords can produce results which sounds like this. I hope I made at least some sense

Nice tutorial, I've not seen that one before. I'll follow it and see where I can take it!

I hear you vs the theory there, definitely a 5/7th in there, probably voiced in some inversion also to keep the harmonics tighter.

Cheers

To me it sounds like its layered with a pitched down hi hat,giving that white noise sound the rest is a sine chord

Scratch that its a sampled chord & high hat,pulled of some old track,thats why the hat is still in there

Whilst that certainly is a possibility I assumed the noise/grit was from the sampler adding artifacts!

Return to “Sound Design”