MUX: get meta-parameter/host parameter to follow modulation?

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bought MUX yesterday, it's a really well thought out piece of software. Thanks for all the hard work and planning put into it. One last(ish) question...

When I am modulating a VSTi parameter that is also connected to a meta-parameter I can hear and see (in the VSTi GUI and front panel) the parameter moving, but not the meta-parameter.

Is there a setting somewhere where the meta-parameter follows modulation so that the host can see it, or any other method?

The meta parameter shows the initial or set value of that parameter.

If you modulate the meta parameter with e.g. an LFO using modulation data (green connection) you will not see the knob moving.

How to bypass this behaviour:
Use a parameter event generator between the LFO and the parameter, the knob will move. In this case the LFO's green connnection will go into the green input of the parameter event generator and you use the blue output of the parameter event generator for the modulation.
Make all connections first then edit the parameter event generastor and select the parameter you need to modulate.

Mind you that the mod results will be a little rougher than using the traditional green connection.

And: Welcome to the club!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here, I am already using the Parameter Event Generator. This is what I am looking at at the moment...

And I have DnD'd the filter cutoff parameter from the top of the Sylenth1 window (module with ARP 303 label here) onto the first meta-parameter. Everything is working, with the envelopes triggered by MIDI in and the parameter moving, but the meta-parameter movements are reported to the host only when manually moving it - either with the Sylenth1, meta-parameter or front panel knobs - but not when they are modulated as above. I've checked with an LFO as well.

If you could you explain what massively stupid thing I've done wrong here you'd be an absolute superstar! :)

I see.
Your meta parameter is actually at a higher level than the modules that should modulate it.
You can only modulate down the line. Meaning, you would need to pack your MUX into another MUX and modulate the meta param from there. Your parameter will move to the modulation.

Thanks for getting back, I'm not sure I understand here. There isn't an issue with modulating internal/VSTi parameters, just with the having those movements translated into movements of the 32 exposed automation parameters - which are, as far as I can see, fixed to the top MUX modular level meta-parameters. If I modulate something in a sub-MUX from an event generator in a higher level MUX, the sub-MUX meta-parameter linked to the parameter (we can't modulate them directly?) still doesn't move and it isn't exposed to the host.

Sorry to be a pest, but to break this down to the simplest equation could you (or any other kind soul) please outline how to get the output of an LFO exposed as automation events to the host so that the host can write them?

I think i see what you want to do: You want to forward the modulated VSTi parameter changes towards the host and record them there, right? Unfortunately that functionality is not (yet) supported atm. More specifically: Automating a parameter that is also assigned to a meta-parameter does not move the meta-parameter. But maybe there is a workaround if you use a MIDI controller: In the top level MUX use the LFO to modulate a MIDI Controller Generator. Now map+route this MC to the VSTi parameter, and also send these generated MCs to the event output in the top level MUX so they're also send to the host. Now you can record the MCs in your host (depending on the host) and send them back to MUX which will map them to the VSTi parameter. I did not yet try this out, this is just a rough idea.

Yes, this is what I am looking to do - well, to use the automation to modulate parameters in Reaper using its param modulation system. Thanks very much for the suggestion of the MIDI workaround, the learning/routing aspect works but the 7 bit resolution is a bit low for me.*

It would be great if you could pencil this in as a FR half way between a couple near the top on your M7 list. :) Also another cheeky n00b one would be to have a trigger mode for Multi Point Envelopes that is tied to the current host beat when in play/record. ie it waits for the next beat to trigger if pressed less than half a beat away or the envelope starts at an offset from the beginning equal to any late triggering up to half a beat, to keep it in sync when triggering live.

Thanks for the clarification!

*There's also a scaling issue with LFOs where only peaks (or negative troughs) are generated/recorded with a sine wave for example.

Return to “MUTOOLS”