Diva vs Analogue - a real world test

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva

because 'Classic Poly' - I modified the Osc in the preset pack version to differentiate it from another preset - and to stop Urs wasting anymore of his time on this - I post the exact preset used in the test. I'll be interested to see if this puts it to bed! However due to the fact that waves move a lot...we will have to see...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByOzK- ... sp=sharing
Presets for u-he Diva -> http://swanaudio.co.uk/

Both oscillators same octave, Triple Osc, no sync (there is none on the OB8 wave so why would anyone use it on Diva to match the OB8?), no invert.

OB8:
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Mutant wrote: I hope you understand that the picture is only an evidence of how the raw unfiltered triple osc saw shape looks, not of the OP being guilty of cheating.
I am glad you are saying that because I got the impression that you took this difference (proven or non proven) as a proof of cheating. Like you did in your initial post where you asked him what he had done to "cheat". Later you start talking about him having the burden of evidence because his claim was the extraordinary and later again you are talking about him proven his innocence. But now that we have figured that all this were just accidental slips of the tongue, you can edit your posts and we can move on :wink:

fluffy_little_something wrote:Assuming the screenshot shows the parameters settings used, what might matter are the selected shape of analog 2, the different octave settings, the strong detune. sync on, cross mod, and only osc 2 in the mix.
Sure it matters. Hehehe, how many examples of creating "sawtooths with little bumps and a strange corner followed by a strangely linear part" does anyone need to see "Yes, Diva can make that waveform"?

I just got another one without Sync or Crossmod using some HP setting and the Uhbie filter with a bit of FilterFM. Plain sawtooths.

I think it's safe to assume there are various ways to make Diva's sawtooths look "non standard".

Have tried it in Sylenth before, without much luck. I got something vaguely similar when combining a saw and a sine, though 8)

With two saw's the output looks like the OB8 diagram below (or above, depending on your board settings :hihi: ).

Are those odd corners etc. even desirable? I mean, what is their impact on the sound? Corners and sharp peaks mean more harmonic content, right?
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mutant wrote:Both oscillators same octave, Triple Osc, no sync (there is none on the OB8 wave so why would anyone use it on Diva to match the OB8?), no invert.
I explained it. Because I couldn't be arsed to tweak this shape while waiting for the beating to happen at the right time. It also works without Sync. Try it.

It's inverted because the Dual VCO has an up ramping sawtooth while the OB-8 has a down ramping one.

Ok, now I'm getting a little too annoyed. I'll take a break from this.

analoguesamples909 wrote:because 'Classic Poly' - I modified the Osc in the preset pack version to differentiate it from another preset - and to stop Urs wasting anymore of his time on this - I post the exact preset used in the test. I'll be interested to see if this puts it to bed! However due to the fact that waves move a lot...we will have to see...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByOzK- ... sp=sharing
3rd oscillator is on triangle shape and set a bit quieter than 1st and 2nd.
You are cleared and you may go free now. :)
Next time don't say it is 2 oscillators and dont try to emulate 2 oscillators with 3 oscillators. :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Urs wrote:
Mutant wrote:Both oscillators same octave, Triple Osc, no sync (there is none on the OB8 wave so why would anyone use it on Diva to match the OB8?), no invert.
I explained it. Because I couldn't be arsed to tweak this shape while waiting for the beating to happen at the right time. It also works without Sync. Try it.

It's inverted because the Dual VCO has an up ramping sawtooth while the OB-8 has a down ramping one.
How is it possible that such an intelligent person as you, can't understand that you have to move within some narrow set of rules:
One of these rules is to not invert the wave because the OP did not say anything about inverting the wave, so if it is not allowed, then you can't use the Dual VCO.

Everyone understands why you had to invert it, just you don't understand why you should not do it when trying to match the preset we are talking about.
In other words: if it requires inverting, it can't be the correct answer.

And as the preset is posted, the mystery of how that shape was made is solved, really end of topic, you may continue talking about the presets, but my question was answered properly finally.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Urs wrote:I'm getting better at this.

Still had to invert it, but d'oh.
lol
Urs.... I can't believe you are still taking the bait on this.
Don't we have some updates to get?
lol
rsp
sound sculptist

Mutant wrote:
analoguesamples909 wrote: You are cleared and you may go free now. :)
Next time don't say it is 2 oscillators and dont try to emulate 2 oscillators with 3 oscillators. :)
I was away at the time of the original accusation but I remember now - I needed that triangle to warm the low end slightly...there is no exact copy of OB8 in Diva and I use it to get the closest result possible to my OB8...
Presets for u-he Diva -> http://swanaudio.co.uk/

Now I know what to do the next time I want one of the sounds from a commercial soundset. I will complain that it's "impossible" to get said waveform out of the synth and post pictures of it from an oscilloscope. I'll keep complaining about it until the designer gives me the sound for free to shut me up. :)
Feel free to call me Brian.

Interesting. I think I can eat my lasagna in peace :wink:

While Mutant may have come across a bit unfriendly, I do understand his reasoning. When doing such a comparison which is all about proving how similar both are, it should be fair, i.e. using the same settings and conditions in order to avoid such accusations of cheating. All Mutant said was that the specs stated did not yield the signal shown on the diagram, and he was right, obviously. Using that triangle to warm things up almost amounts to using an effect in my view.

The sound/patch is rather simple so that Mutant certainly does not need anyone else to provide him with that patch.

fluffy_little_something wrote:While Mutant may have come across a bit unfriendly, I do understand his reasoning. When doing such a comparison which is all about proving how similar both are, it should be fair, i.e. using the same settings and conditions in order to avoid such accusations of cheating. All Mutant said was that the specs stated did not yield the signal shown on the diagram, and he was right, obviously. Using that triangle to warm things up almost amounts to using an effect in my view.

The sound/patch is rather simple so that Mutant certainly does not need anyone else to provide him with that patch.
a bit unfriendly?

anyway... if Diva were presented as an OB emulation, then there would be some reasonable expectation of using the same settings to get the same sound. However it isn't and that expectation is ridiculous. The OP can use whatever settings he wants to create sounds that are similar to his ear... it's his exploration and nobody elses business. If you want to try doing a different experiment, go right ahead. And whatever experiment you do, also would deserve the basic respect of someone who has put a bunch of time into something not being attacked by a bunch of people who haven't... I get rather tired of the agro sideline snipers.

And Mutant wasn't right... he accused the OP of being a liar and suggested it wasn't just Diva and that there were additional effects. Mutant was wrong. It was just Diva.

Urs wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
kmonkey wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Question: Do Zebra 2 owners get a discounted price on Zebra 3 or is it considered a completely different synth? I ask because plunking down another $200 is going to be a little rough.
AFAIK if you own zebra 2 and zebra hz (Dark Batman show) you are entitled to get Zebra 3 for free..
Well I only own Zebra 2.
Upgrade price will be 30$ unless you have TDZ, in case of which the upgrade is free.

(nevertheless it's going to be a completely new plug-in... full rewrite of pretty much all DSP parts)
That's awesome! I have Zebra 2 and I'm really looking forward to seeing what Zebra 3 will be like. Is there an estimated release date?

Return to “Instruments”