System 1m

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi anyone any thoughts on the Roland system 1m always wanted a modular synth this looks very promising as a basis to get started.

While the Roland 1m is being advertised as compatible with Eurorack modular synths, I think this is a bit misleading. In fact, it's a fixed-architecture, "plug-out" synth in Eurorack modular format. If you read the ads from Roland closely, you'll see that Its value in a modular system would only be realized if it is being integrated into an existing (and probably large) modular set up.

Otherwise, it's just a rack-mounted version of the Roland System-1. Which could be fun.... :)

The beauty of a modular system is the near-infinite amount of customization and reconfiguration of the architecture, which is not possible with the 1m, or any fixed-architecture synth for that matter.

If you're really interested in starting a modular system, head over to the Muff Wiggler forums:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/index ... 68327091b0

And the Modular Grid website, a web-based modular synthesizer design tool:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules/home

Oh well live and learn gone off the idea now. Although it does look cool and i am sure it would be very usefull

Hmmm... Wrong. The system 1m is compatible with eurorack, as a matter of fact it interacts very well with the rest of my equipment/modules. Keep in mind that it draws a fair amount of electricity from the power bus if you intend to share your modular's leriche wer unit with it, but that isn't really an issue. I almost exclusively use it with the SH-2 plugout loaded as it is by far the heaviest OSCs as far as i am concern. It can save your actual patxhing in memeory so that is always a plus. And yes, it isn't a true modular but a semi-modular. But if you intend to make the plunge into the modular world, it gives you a great sounding and complete system that you can easily expend as you feel the need. And don't be scared of the whole "but it is digital" thing.... They really nailed the sound and controls on that one.
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

Just found this thread on Muff Wiggler. A general discussion of the System 1m and how well it integrates into modular. Page 2 of the thread gets more technical, and discusses some of the limitations modular users have discovered.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... sc&start=0

System 1m seems to have gone under the radar for many people. Its a great sounding VA, great converters (96K) and Hi-Res pots etc, lots of I/O for Eurorack (mine lives in my Eurorack case and powers without an issue from the supplied Euro cable)

They need to do a FREE vst controller/librarian (I have having to use the crippled and CPU heavy plug just to control my hardware in the DAW)

It really needs to remember what pre-set it was on last when powered up! (Basic, especially with Eurorack!)

All in all, a great (big) Eurorack module even without the plug outs (and the plug outs are good), just needs a few tweaks....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Chopper wrote:Hmmm... Wrong. The system 1m is compatible with eurorack, as a matter of fact it interacts very well with the rest of my equipment/modules. Keep in mind that it draws a fair amount of electricity from the power bus if you intend to share your modular's leriche wer unit with it, but that isn't really an issue. I almost exclusively use it with the SH-2 plugout loaded as it is by far the heaviest OSCs as far as i am concern. It can save your actual patxhing in memeory so that is always a plus. And yes, it isn't a true modular but a semi-modular. But if you intend to make the plunge into the modular world, it gives you a great sounding and complete system that you can easily expend as you feel the need. And don't be scared of the whole "but it is digital" thing.... They really nailed the sound and controls on that one.

When you use the SH-2 plug out on the System 1m how do you tweak the Course Tune of OSC 2 of the SH-2?... i can change the Fine Tune setting fine, but can't figure out what control on the System 1m controls the SH-2's Course Tune?... thanks.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”