Diva vs Analogue - a real world test

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva

The Laser Harp sound original preset can be found on the Elka Synthex, and has been used by JMJ.

There are some Elka Synthex emulations, for those who could be interested.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Lotuzia wrote:The Laser Harp sound original preset can be found on the Elka Synthex, and has been used by JMJ.

Question. Haven't tried this but can the XILS Syn'X 2 do a lazer harp?

wagtunes wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:The Laser Harp sound original preset can be found on the Elka Synthex, and has been used by JMJ.

Isn't it an emulation of the Synthex? :wink: What would you think?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

Yeah, I would think but since I'm not familiar with the hardware synth (actually never even heard of it before Syn'X came out) I just wanted to make sure it was an exact replica and capable of doing everything the hardware synth could do. Some software emulations, as I'm sure you know, aren't 100% faithful to their hardware counterparts. Look at ImpOSCar 2 as an example. That isn't an exact replica at all.

wagtunes wrote:
Urs wrote:
zvenx wrote:Thanks Wagtunes, I too didn't have a clue what it was or sounded like, and after the suspense of 29 seconds in the video, I was expecting well.........to each their own..one man's meat is another man's poison..
Hehehe, for some people this is the holy grail of subtractive synthesis.
It has always been one of my favorite subtractive sounds next to formant sounds which I always thought were kind of cool and sorely lacking in early analog synths.
We really are a wonderfully diverse species, us humans. That sound wouldn't even have gotten a favourite or a one star rating for me....and I am sure many of my favourites and five stars wouldn't impressed some folks.
rsp
sound sculptist

wagtunes wrote:
fmr wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

Yeah, I would think but since I'm not familiar with the hardware synth (actually never even heard of it before Syn'X came out) I just wanted to make sure it was an exact replica and capable of doing everything the hardware synth could do. Some software emulations, as I'm sure you know, aren't 100% faithful to their hardware counterparts. Look at ImpOSCar 2 as an example. That isn't an exact replica at all.
I never had or touched the original OSCar, but I would guess that Imposcar 2 can do anything the OSCar did and much more (actually, that was already the case with the Imposcar 1, which was always my favourite from G-Force).

The same applies to Syn'X vs the Synthex. It can do way more, but certainly is able to emulate anything the Synthex could do. And to answer directly your question, yes, the Laser Harp patch is there.
Fernando (FMR)

JerGoertz wrote:A is the OB8
B is Diva
same guess here.
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

Should I tell the Sound Designer legend or should we keep him in suspense? :-)
rsp
sound sculptist

fmr wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
fmr wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

I never had or touched the original OSCar, but I would guess that Imposcar 2 can do anything the OSCar did and much more (actually, that was already the case with the Imposcar 1, which was always my favourite from G-Force).

The same applies to Syn'X vs the Synthex. It can do way more, but certainly is able to emulate anything the Synthex could do. And to answer directly your question, yes, the Laser Harp patch is there.
Actually, you dont need the Syn'x 2 to emulate the Synthex and Laser Harp sound. The much more affordable MiniSyn'X is enough, and can do a lot more as well. If you want a full polytimbral Synthex, with more than 40 oscillators, 8 different filters, 24 envelopes and tons of LFOs etc to make a lead, or incredibly deep and/or complex pads, etc then Syn'X 2 is your friend. Btw Xils new odf PWM/Sync algorythm is used for the sounds of the Laser Harp type.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

zvenx wrote:Should I tell the Sound Designer legend or should we keep him in suspense? :-)
rsp
please, by all means - tell me... i'm constantly learning...
and no, i for sure won't read 54 pages just to find out that there' s no answer posted yet... :)
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign

A was Diva and B was the OB-8.
Like you I was very surprised.

He did post... then we spent the next 20 minutes arguing over spike/anomalies on a graph :-)
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:A was Diva and B was the OB-8.

He did post... then we spent the next 20 minutes arguing over spike/anomalies on a graph :-)
rsp
And now that Diva is much more optimized than when you did some of the original Factory Banks, would love to have a bank from you of Diva that one can purchase.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:A was Diva and B was the OB-8.

rsp
just shows how unnecessary the comparsion between digital and analog is nowadays.
right now i have a minimoog here, which i need to do consulting conceptual design for a company that wants to clone it - they're already so close with the software, that, if there are differences, you wouldn't be able to know which one is which - not to speak of the fact, that if i would have a second minimoog for comparsion right here, the difference might be bigger than the difference to the digital emulation...
so imo, the users who do not know real analog for 30 years like i do, must be convinced, that in most _usual_ soundrealms of "normal" analogs, they have already software equivalents that are so close or even better, that for them analog would be disapointing.
i once had 3 minimoogs, and i know why i sold them. you'd be surprised, how clean and stable the oscs and the filter actually are - you'd probably would expect way more mojo form the original and be quite disapointed... not to speak of the quirks that a lot of analogs have that you always would love to get rid of... f.e. the envs in the minimoog don`t closely do what you would want in certain circumstances - the memory effect kills all predictability and every keystroke, depending how d´fast the playrate of these are, make the filter env do completely different things, which really is _not_ desirable...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign

zvenx wrote:And now that Diva is much more optimized than when you did some of the original Factory Banks, would love to have a bank from you of Diva that one can purchase.
rsp
we'll see... :)
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign

For the JMJ Lazer harp I suggest you read this review :-)

Return to “Instruments”