Let's talk about: Gear Acquisition Syndrome

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote:I spent a shitload of money yesterday. The fame of those two synths better be substantiated.
Congrats on your J8 and Waldorf Wave :D
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Urs wrote:I spent a shitload of money yesterday. The fame of those two synths better be substantiated.
Hmm.. shitload of money.. fame.. I'm guessing an Oberheim of some sort? or, moving up in the money league, an ARP 2600?
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Already got a J8 :P - and have never been so much into the Wave...

I've had a stressful time working on some really tedious und unpleasant stuff. This somehow took my defenses down. In an outburst of GAS, I had to reward myself with an early Mini and a late Synthex. It'll take a few days until they arrive. Hope I won't suffer too much through the anticipation period :cry:

Urs wrote:I had to reward myself with an early Mini and a late Synthex.
That means no Dinosaur Crossgrade for you! :clown:

https://www.u-he.com/cms/zebra2-dinosaur-crossgrade

Urs wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
Already got a J8 :P - and have never been so much into the Wave...

I've had a stressful time working on some really tedious und unpleasant stuff. This somehow took my defenses down. In an outburst of GAS, I had to reward myself with an early Mini and a late Synthex. It'll take a few days until they arrive. Hope I won't suffer too much through the anticipation period :cry:
You lucky moogerfooger!

Congrats.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

FWIW, more about a few dedicated RE's these days and less GAS. Now, with basses and guitars, GAS has subsided quite a bit but I did get this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Spec ... zz-Bass.gc

Terrific. I think I'm truly and honestly complete for quite some time.

new Gibson arrived yesterday, I ordered a guitar last week for February delivery and I'm still checking eBay for something special...sigh
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

werp wrote:new Gibson arrived yesterday, I ordered a guitar last week for February delivery and I'm still checking eBay for something special...sigh
Mine is not coming until late March!!! :help: :cry: :cry: :help:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

So far I have managed to surpress the urge to buy irig keys to get ST3 LE

I have GAS so bad right now. WTF is wrong with me I just finished another of my dark ambient / weirdness forays and need to focus on making artwork for it... but dammit all I can do is lust after more samples, more synths (Dammit U-He and XFer...) and other things I do not need...

Dammit... It's damn good to be alive and have all these options. Serious about that.

Bought Forest Kingdom II on sale, bought Heavyocity Vocalise, bought Zebra Borealis, next Payday it's an Alesis Vortex..

HELP

ME

PLEASE

:cry: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :cry:
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

I don't think i have GAS problems so much as some kind of collector tick. If I have 2 or 3 guitar pedals of some series, I feel compelled (mildly, but eventually gets to me sometimes) to get the whole series. Which can be pretty wasteful, really.

:cry: :cry: Alesis Vortex here as well as Forest Kingdom II :cry: :cry:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Brand new PRS SE Standard 24, arrived the day after I ordered it (Sweetwater works fast). It's not like I really needed it, having a Les Paul, a DOT Studio and a Strat already, but in truth, I really, REALLY, just had to have it.

Also added Waves Gold Bundle (loving this) and a few Sugar Bytes and PSP plugins (waiting on my free one from the PSP Buy One Get One Free offer currently going on, that should happen tomorrow).

And, a new PC, due to arrive after Christmas, figured it was finally time to retire the old Pentium D machine I have had for what seems like forever. Went with a 6 core Intel i7 Extreme, 16 gig or ram, 256 gig SSD and 1terabyte HHD, and a mobo that is hughly expandable ( up 128 gig or RAM, 10 HHD connections, USB 3.1, etc.). So, the wait is likely to kill me (good thing I got the PRS to pass the time with).
Digital Studio: Studio One Pro 3, and too many plugins to list
Tools: '09 Epi' Dot Studio, '10 Epi' Les Paul Studio, '97 Fender Strat, 2015 PRS SE Standard 24, Martin OMC-18E.
Toys: Peavey Solo, Crate GFX30, VOX AD30VT, Digitech RP500, Line 6 HD500X

This magpie effect we all struggle with is funny and I've certainly felt it taking my first steps into audio production - the built-in tools are so drab and the 3rd-party plugins so shiny :D

I was at my worst when I was working as a full-time 3D artist - I had to have every new plugin that came out and I had a collection that cost me several hundred times the cost of the 3D software that was hosting them. The funny thing is, years later having returned to do bits and pieces of 3D work for myself, I've found I really don't need most of them.

The majority of these things duplicate stuff you could do yourself if you had the know-how (which after 20 years of doing this, I guess I do) and I suspect it's a similar thing in the audio world - sure, there's always going to be things that create unique sounds that you'd have no other way of making (they're the really useful tools) but perhaps the real cure for GAS is knowledge and experience no?

On the audio front, I'm limiting myself to nice replacements to Tracktion's stock tools (ToneBoosters, TDR, Klanghelm, Valhalla DSP) plus some simple, cheap and/or fun things I can't do out-of-the-box (TAL-Sampler, Kuvert, SPL De-Verb) - I've got a small collection of interesting freebies too - Alchemy Player, CamelCrusher, the free Soundtoys plugins etc.

As a treat I subbed to Track Spark which for a newb is a great resource - loops, tuts and a shiny new plugin for $3 a month - can't go wrong with that :)

Return to “Instruments”