Anyone know anything about the Mridangam

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A chap posted a message on my blog asking if I was interested in doing anything with the heavily sampled Mridangam on freesound. It looks interesting, but I don't even know where to begin. Any ideas?
These are the samples.
http://www.freesound.org/people/akshaylaya/packs/

I'm Facebook friends with a few Indian producers, including one who also does more traditional music - want me to ask them?

If you say it backwards it appears to be a skin ointment of some kind (Magnaderm).

I had one for a time. It's a two-ended drum, low & high, L/R hand. Strap it on more/less like a guitar. :shrug: As myth has it, the tabla came to be when some deity broke a mridangam in two. It's already sampled - I would find the fact of having a lo and a hi pitch coming from each end respectively a certain kind of recording problem as I ponder it - but as to making an .nki useful out of what's at hand, I don't know what problem you are imagining.

That would be great, Mr. DSmolken. Any feedback is appreciated.

Lol, BBFG.

Thanks Jancivil. That helps.
Just not sure if I should line the notes up and keyswitch the different drum strokes. If you only play a single note type at a time and the articulations should be there and keyswitch the different notes. Maybe put the bass articulations on the lower octaves. Just not sure.

Well, I would prefer just making a key activate an articulation to needing an extra key just because it's a flam or ruff or what-not. The pitches are not going to be all that specifically meaningful, are they.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”