One Synth Challenge #78: Elektrostudio OR2v (Meakaale Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nice conversation here guys :) I'd have to agree with Taron wagtunes :D I'd like to hear a track from you where you put in more time and not so early a submission. Try maybe making little parts then posting and asking people which they like best and roll with whatever suggestions seem in favor and you can agree with. Your composition skills are good but not always 'catchy'. Kinda hard to describe.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Okay, voted and left comments for all :D Is that it? :hihi: I guess I'm not used to so little tracks, I even made lots of space for a huge session, lol. Will probably have a second run through this one. Well done gang! Liked to hear a lot of 'happy' tracks this time round. It was also nice to hear from some new people as well who posted excellent tracks, please join us more in future OSC's :wink: Cheers :tu:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

psmacmur wrote:
SoundGoddess wrote:I just hope that I do better than last time when I spent weeks on it and got almost last place.
That's OSC for me in a nutshell! 2 years of mediocrity (minus a few missed months) as of August. And over and over again, talented "real" musos walk in and ace it on their 1st or 2nd try. :dog: Ah well. :shrug: Still better to be making "music" in a supportive community than in isolated obscurity.
I have spent time with Syntorial, maybe I should start going through it all over again. It has helped me a bit with sound design to play with these different synthesizers to see what kind of sounds I can come up with. Just it feels like my other songs are generally better than the stuff I end up coming up with for the contest.

I feel like I have talent, I just lack skills in some areas like song structure. I'm just not sure how to get better, I signed up for the "song a week" thing on Reddit.

I really would like to go to music school but it's not in the cards for me so I'm trying to figure out how to teach myself how to become a good musician, just I find that sometimes I'm really inspired and crank a lot of stuff out and other times I feel like it's too much work and I get overwhelmed.
~ good luck ~
~ re~member to do good in a spirit of love, unity, compassion, and kindness ~

SoundGoddess wrote:...sometimes I'm really inspired and crank a lot of stuff out and other times I feel like it's too much work and I get overwhelmed.
That's the world of art in a nutshell! :lol:
You've chosen a great course by simply making songs and getting feedback. The latter is not always easy to get, but I gladly tell you what I think as I've already done just today. ;)
If you want to be diligent about it, just have a look at typical song structures (check google!). But then have a close listen to songs that you enjoy a lot. Dissect them carefully by recognizing the different parts of them. Analyze when they get loud and dense and when they thin out to feature specific instruments or moments.
Much like in drawings, the empty spaces are just as important as the strokes.

Once you've done analyzing a song, maybe even referencing a common structure that seems to fit, take your #78 song and "fix it" with those things in mind. You can leave all patterns, harmonies and sounds, but just organize their appearance according to what you'll have learned! I'm almost certain you'll be amazed at what this will do to the song!
I really know you've had all the ingredients in there. It just was too dense all the way through without proper motions across the whole thing such as breathers, where you give your listener a chance to relax for a moment, find orientation again and then kick back into the mood you want.

So, yes, all it takes is your will to master music and a lot of diligence, finding out what you need to know and spending time to make sense of what you learn practically. You're most certainly almost there! :tu:

By the way... voted! May re-vote, especially if a download package appears.

Also, this track convinced me to finally bite the bullet and buy Reaper... apparently 744 days after first demoing it... Was hitting what I can only assume is that infamous Studio One performance problem, and really can't be bothered to bounce. :shrug: Anyway, Reaper had better be worth it!! :evil: Or else I'll have to try yet another DAW! :x

Well, I'm really loving MuLab, feels strong, clear and no-nonsense like. I don't like DAWs that insist on going over my head. MuLab hands over the steering wheel to you right away. The things I wish for it to get, I know its developer will hook up, as that has been the story thus far and it's been a great one already.
But, yeah...the idea to have power over the fundamental workings of a DAW via modular editing can be confusing to some, true. Not like they have to do that at all, but it's there and it makes you the true CO of your projects! ;)

Respected, members....I've received some feedback by kind experienced participants of this contest. I thank you for that effort. I really appreciate it.

It would be glad if I get some more detailed words on my work.

I am almost new to music production. I have limited knowledge of sound design, mixing and mastering.

I have very basic setup for production. 5 years old laptop with 4gb RAM, Intel i7 processor of first generation.

What I have in good amount is deep interest of listening to variety of music of many genres... And passion to learn music production.

Not to forget, I have some basic learning of Indian classical music. My melodies sometimes reflect it.

Whatever I know about music production (a little) is reading articles online and watching YouTube videos.

I've started taking part in contest because I think it is the best way to learn sound design and other aspects of music production. It also helps in getting kind feedback from experienced musicians and producers.

So, here I am....to learn with all open mindset.

Dee.P.Tree wrote:This is my first attempt to KVR O-S-C...!! And here is my track:

https://soundcloud.com/dee-p-tree/deept ... y-acid-run

There are 23 instances of OR2v. My old pc was not able to handle it. So, audio was bounced in the project.
I used FL studio 11 and its stock FX plugins (Reverb, Compression / Multiband compression, Delay,
Distortion (blood overdrive), EQ, Soft Clipper) on mixer channels as required.

Other FX are "AMBIENCE"- Reverb plugin from SmartElectronics, Pancake 2 (cable guyz).

Thank you KVR for a very good learning experience..!! Being relatively new to music production, I hope to receive feedback and criticism from the experienced musicians for my improvement.

Best of luck to everybody.

Dee.P.Tree
Something more about the track, how I made it:

Actually I started working on this track on 25th august. 2-3 days, I played with the synth and created some sounds. First time I created drum sounds by learning from online resources. I layered multiple instances of Or2v to create these drum sounds. Used some reverb, compression, stereo enhancer, eq. And drums are ready.

Major work of track happened in last weekend of August because I already have a demanding job. I had something in mind about the track which I converted in the final result as uploaded.

For piano kind of sound, I layer multiple instances of Or2v for different octaves to create a little bit fatter sounds. Used stereo enhancer, eq, compression, reverb, delay as required for different leads.

Similar method for pad and atmos sounds. For pad I side chained it to remove lowend muddiness.

For master channel, only little bit of eq and soft clipper.

This recipe resulted in final track as you great people listened on contest page / soundcloud group.

Again, thanks for listening, commenting on my track. I will be always open for feedback... Criticism... Suggestions... Everything which listeners/participants feel to tell me.

I believe: Bad production (as a whole song or some technique or part of song) always be and remain bad... I will never defend or excuse or advocate or be in favour of such work of mine.

Thank you and respect to all community members.
Dee.P.Tree.
Last edited by Dee.P.Tree on Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psmacmur wrote:By the way... voted! May re-vote, especially if a download package appears.
Hopefully up today. :party:

Dee.P.Tree wrote: Again, thanks for listening, commenting on my track. I will be always open for feedback... Criticism... Suggestions... Everything which listeners/participants feel to tell me.
Hey, Dee! You've had a fantastic first entry here at OSC and should be very proud already!
I gave you some feedback on soundcloud for specific moments along your track. Because your song has so much potential, it really made me angry to find half of your main theme melody completely outside of pleasant or fitting harmonic relationships, while the other half was perfect again. It was really a shame. If you go for traditional Indian scales, you really must work with appropriate frequencies, which isn't that easy, if you use western scales. What happens is literally a mess. So you kind of have to decide and then stick with it or try to find the nearest relationships harmonically that still fit, you know.

I can imagine that it's tricky for your ears, because you may be able to interpret the compromise favorable to your experiences, but for those of us, who are not used to it, it just sheers into almost a form of pain, you know.

Other than that, I thought you had a great production, not at all "bad", are you kidding me? It's great stuff and you'll do some rocking pieces that I already am looking very much forward to! 8) :tu:

Taron wrote: Hey, Dee! You've had a fantastic first entry here at OSC and should be very proud already!
I am proud of it... But not that much.
Taron wrote: I gave you some feedback on soundcloud for specific moments along your track. Because your song has so much potential, it really made me angry to find half of your main theme melody completely outside of pleasant or fitting harmonic relationships, while the other half was perfect again. It was really a shame.
Actually, frankly speaking, this basic mistake made me more angry on myself than feeling proud. I mean, that's totally not acceptable. It is embarrassing. ... Like "odd man out". :wink:
Taron wrote: If you go for traditional Indian scales, you really must work with appropriate frequencies, which isn't that easy, if you use western scales. What happens is literally a mess. So you kind of have to decide and then stick with it or try to find the nearest relationships harmonically that still fit, you know.
This month I will improve... I hope you will not feel :dog: and :smack: and :idiot: and :tantrum: for my track... :D
Taron wrote: I can imagine that it's tricky for your ears, because you may be able to interpret the compromise favorable to your experiences, but for those of us, who are not used to it, it just sheers into almost a form of pain, you know.
I understood your point here. It may become hard to me...but.. If music was that easy than every serious music listener in this world would have become musician/producer. :wink:
Taron wrote: Other than that, I thought you had a great production, not at all "bad", are you kidding me? It's great stuff and you'll do some rocking pieces that I already am looking very much forward to! 8) :tu:
:hug: Thanks for feedback. These words of feedback and encouragement gives me strength to work harder...for more sleepless nights after my job to create good music :o .... :wink:

Voted!

Has anyone noticed Sound Cloud now converts the file you upload so that when you download it is a low bit mp3? I uploaded a wave file always and now they are all mp3?? This makes sound CLOUD a completely useless tool for backing up tracks as a cloud atleast... or is it different with a pro account?

TTU Youtube

Tjgoa wrote:Has anyone noticed Sound Cloud now converts the file you upload so that when you download it is a low bit mp3? I uploaded a wave file always and now they are all mp3?? This makes sound CLOUD a completely useless tool for backing up tracks as a cloud atleast... or is it different with a pro account?
Is that new? I've seen a few flac and wav files recently. Is there news?

Return to “Instruments”