WOW - steinberg absolute vst2 collection is a *NIGHTMARE* with logic 10.2/yosemite 10.10.5

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wow I haven't had a crashfest bugfest experience this bad I reckon since Arturia's early releases a decade ago. I have spent the last 8 *hours* just dealing with crash upon crash upon crash. And bugs. And bad features. Worst purchase I have made in the last 5 years, completely regretted, and hopefully under Australian 'not fit for purpose' laws I will be able to get a refund, and sell the version 1 this was an upgrade for (as version one is not qualified for mac OS above 10.8 ).

Version 1 had a couple bugaboos, a couple FR's needed - but it worked. Note, the last time I used it was on OS 10.8 and Logic 9.1.8 - since then I went to reason for 18 months, and now back to logic.. First purchase in so long, and such a nightmare. And i was SO excited to get it too:(

This is a long post but right now i strongly advise against any yosemite/logicX users even *considering* this purchase. I have reproduced it on two machines.. My old sandy bridge laptop with OS 10.9 and Logic 10.2, and my 7 day old retina MBP OS 10.10.5 and logic 10.2. Super fast flash drive, 900GB free space, barely anything installed. These steinberg bugfests are just, well bugfests. I will categorically say right now, that this is the most bug ridden suite of virtual instruments I have bought in years, if not ever, and they are a disgrace in their current form, especially in this day and age of relative general stability in DAWs.

1) First I installed hypnotic dance. Zero presets would appear in the dedicated hypnotic browser in the AU version. Only the default "trance chord" preset. That's IT.

I then launched HD in cubase, and the presets appeared there. Then relaunched in logic, and now they are there in the AU!
Conclusion: The only way to get the presets to "generate" is to open them in a vst3 host first. If you are buying the AU for logic only, you will never be able to get the HypnoticDance presets, which is the entire point of Hypnotic Dance - the 300 presets. So do NOT buy hypnotic dance as a standalone instrument if you plan to use it only in Logic. You have been warned. Triebwerk and Dark Planet showed their presets correctly. They have other issues though.....

2) Random crashes of all Halion based stuff in Logic. Usually happens after you have had a padshop or retrologue in a project, then move to a halion based instrument. Whether Halion 5, triebwerk, Hypnotic, etc - they will always eventually crash at some point on insertion if you are using other steinberg stuff. Insert, instacrash - logic POOF.
I have reproduced over 2 dozen crashes already (and saved 5 of the dumps in notepad and PM'd Guillermo - but that PM was written way before i had so many crashes, as initially i thought it was only triebwerk that had the issue, but it's triebwerk, Hypnotic, Dark Planet and Halion 5. Curiously, Halion SONIC seems fairly stable - in Logic).

So why not just use halion sonic to load the Triebwerk etc patches for now you ask?

BECAUSE - drumroll - in their wisdom they decided not to give HS left/right arrows for preset browsing, and unlike cubase you just cant load with up/down on the KB either with the AU, you have to press return for every preset load - and then it takes away focus from the logic qwerty midi, so every single preset loaded, you have to click back on the logic midi KB to play it. If you are using a laptop without a midi controller, that is.

It gets worse, much worse - Only halion FULL shows all the presets - halionsonic in cubase OR Logic now shows 773 presets IN TOTAL LMAO!, halionsonic SE has over 3,000 (but SE is cubase only, no AU), and halion FULL has 5835 (with *all* AVST2 libraries installed). At one point it showed over 6,000 but it has never gone back there. W T F is that about? Another glitch?

Why are so many presets not available in Halion Sonic anymore? But all the included ones from Halion SE are still there? IS this a bug, or by design, that the installer makes it that you need to instantiate Halion full to play most of the Halion Sonic Sounds, once it has been installed?

Like for example, open halion sonic, pick triebwerk as a category, 0 available. Same with Dark Planet. But Hypnotic Dance has the full 300 available in Halion Sonic. All three of these libraries have their full content available in Halion Sonic SE! WTF! But not in the full hailon sonic 2! WTF! :bang:

Switch to using the dedicated instruments for dark planet and triebwerk themselves, and all presets are available as listed in the specs. Switch to halion full, and load triebwerk or dark planet, and ditto. All presets available.

Halion Sonic has been completely stripped to bare shells of what it was before install of Halion 5.And unable to load most of the presets of most of the halion player libraries.

So my question is - Should this be how it is? And if not, does there have to be a particular exact install order? steinberg, please tell me.

Furthermore, when i click on support i get the prompt to talk to local distributor. Yeah right, like they will have even the faintest *clue* how to help me. All they are there to do is sell.

So I am writing it here.

3) Left / right preset browser arrows on all the AU library players (strings, dark, hypnotic, triebwerk) but NOT on Halion Sonic or Halion full. And Halion sonic is the only one that doesn't crash, but will only load 773 of the 5835 presets. Mind you, that same problem exists in Cubase also - only halion full can now see all the sounds.

4) Cpu is very high on a macbook pro 2.8ghz quad haswell, 1tb flash, 16gb ram. At least 3x that of Kontakt 5. Playing a few chords of the heavier patches eats almost an entire thread in logic.

5) Groove Agent 4 full version is completely broken, in both logic AND Cubase. Click the preset browser, and you see all the presets appear momentary, then vanish to blank. Not one single kit exists to load. If you then load groove agent SE in it’s place, Cubase crashes. Logic crashes with Groove agent 4 full version quite regularly. Completely and utterly unusable in every sense of the word.

6)Halion Sonic 2 crashes Cubase on exit. Halion SE is ok.

And to think I had planned to use this set as my main composition set of instruments. :bang:

They SOUND great, don't get me wrong. But the only ones that don't crash in logic are padshop/retrologue and halion sonic, all three with terrible AU browser functionality, and Halion Sonic missing 90% of presets. The others even randomly crash Cubase!

Honestly I am beside myself. This post may seem dramatic to you, but I am unemployed and cannot just throw away $300, and i also now strongly regret my cubase upgrade. And I spent so long downloading these on an adsl connection, and now if i can't get it working, because of my OCD i will want to reformat and reinstall from scratch rather than remove them all, which will take 24 + hrs to reinstall logic again with all it's banks. I mean if they don't fix it, i am just going to get rid of everything “steinberg" as i am really THAT annoyed. Lesson learned, as soon as logic and banks are installed, and nothing else, make a HD clone.

The main issue? I bet Steinberg *won't* fix it, well, not the AU's.
They have proven with the state of their AU's, that it is a joke platform to them. Guillermo assures me otherwise but i refuse to believe it. prove me wrong! it is hard to believe they even had a decent beta test on this. How could they miss so many fundamental, essential issues? I am sure they will fix the vst3 versions though.

Besides the crashes, i will ask Guillermo:

1) is there a specific order to install Absolute collection 2?

2) Is it normal for only Halion FULL to show all the available presets of all halion engine instruments, and for those that used to be visible in Halion Sonic 2, to suddenly not be available in it anymore?

3) If I keep this bundle will you take my report seriously and fix the crashes? Mind you without preset arrows on halion it is really painful to navigate - and that's not a big ask to add such a thing I would think.

4) Exactly how many presets, should show up in Halion 5 with the AVST2 collection installed? Is 5835 the correct number? How many should Halion Sonic2 Show? Is 773 the correct number?

5) IS zero the correct number of presets for groove agent 4 full version? LOL

http://pastebin.com/WTLNB8WE
http://pastebin.com/nSqtNRyJ
http://pastebin.com/0HpjFtHQ

and many many more...

*multiple edits for spelling only, absolutely nothing else*

EDIT: the mavericks machine with absolute v1 is fine, it was an out of memory crash.
The issues is with collection 2, specific parts of that, and yosemite/logicX
Last edited by ObsoleteAcc99 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.

What did Steinberg support say?
:hihi:
Last edited on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 17 times in total.
:dog: :hihi: :lol:

OutCider wrote:What did Steinberg support say?
i can not contact them. It doesn't allow me. it just comes up to contact my local distributor, as my post said.

Steinberg fob all aussie support to aussie distributor, who are clueless. They are just a middleman for sales.

They won't be open till Monday anyway. It is Sat here now.

I did contact Gullermo however with a PM, but since that PM the issues have gotten worse. Much worse. I think it's only fair to warn others when the issues are this drastic, and I will continue to keep this public until they are fixed. The collection is more or less, unusable, lacking any form of reasonable stability.

I will say that strings seems to work, and there are some beautiful ensembles there. very posh sounding.. i was surprised.

That said, i am a doofus.. i should have just read that AVST v1 didn't support 10.10, not upgrade for $300, and sell V1, and buy Omnisphere instead. That wouldn't have covered bread and butter, but I have sampletank 3 full. Which does. Between that and omnisphere, and many st libraries like miroslav, and Kontakt, i would have been covered for life. But i must admit i never thought something this bad could be released for public sale. This has NOT been beta tested on Logic X and OSX 10.10.5. No way.
Nor Cubase 8.020 and 10.10.5.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/cubase-pro-8/

I suppose try help here, I would post on the official SB forum but make a simpler explanation of the issue. Martin Jirsak over there runs on a Mac and is very knowledgable.

I do run Cubase 8 Pro on 10.9.5 and it really does run great. I have NO extra SB products though. All the issues with different versions of Groove Agent and Halion showing patches are bizarre. Maybe try and see if someone who just has Groove Agent experiences these issues ?

I would hope there is a simple fix for this but your situation does seem unacceptable, good luck with it.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

This may seen like a stupid question -but did you update your e-licenser first?
vespesian (sean)

You're in an amazing state - so stay there.

There's also an option to request support via your Steinberg account, when you login on their site, and after you registered your products, you should have an option to request support for the single products. That shouldn't direct you to the sales guys really. But, i don't know, maybe that's not available for australian customers.

Btw, where did you read it doesn't support MacOS 10.10? On the trial download site, it says it does.

TheoM wrote: They SOUND great, don't get me wrong. But the only ones that don't crash in logic are padshop/retrologue and halion sonic, all three with terrible AU browser functionality, and Halion Sonic missing 90% of presets.
Theo I agree the Padshop au browser is a joke so I converted all my Padshop libraries, inc the factory and addon sounds, to aupresets so they load from Logic's library - much better! pm me your email and let me know what libraries you have for Padshop and I will send you the presets (obviously I can't send the third party ones).

vespesian wrote:This may seen like a stupid question -but did you update your e-licenser first?

the latest version was already installed - the installer of the plugins showed "elicenser 0kb" so it knew there was nothing to update as i already had the latest.

chk071 wrote:There's also an option to request support via your Steinberg account, when you login on their site, and after you registered your products, you should have an option to request support for the single products. That shouldn't direct you to the sales guys really. But, i don't know, maybe that's not available for australian customers.

Btw, where did you read it doesn't support MacOS 10.10? On the trial download site, it says it does.
i am saying the original collection wasn't supported above OS 10.8, which is 50% of the reason i upgrade to the V2.

No you can't request support here, i have tried every angle, the moment i do it from my steinberg it goes to the aussie distributor.

The only way are pm's and forums to actually get steinberg's attention.

Anyway, today I am going to take a 15 minute video so it's all documented, of all the myriad of problems in "real time".
I will send that video to the distributor and ask them how to fix it, just so i have gone through "proper support channels".

aMUSEd wrote:
TheoM wrote: They SOUND great, don't get me wrong. But the only ones that don't crash in logic are padshop/retrologue and halion sonic, all three with terrible AU browser functionality, and Halion Sonic missing 90% of presets.
Theo I agree the Padshop au browser is a joke so I converted all my Padshop libraries, inc the factory and addon sounds, to aupresets so they load from Logic's library - much better! pm me your email and let me know what libraries you have for Padshop and I will send you the presets (obviously I can't send the third party ones).

that's what i was going to do, so that's awesome that you have saved me a heck of a lot of work there! very cool of you to share :)
But for now I am going to ask for a refund first and foremost, so let's see what happens there first. Certainly have no plans to devote 50GB of SSD space to something crashing 10 times in 15 minutes :) (padshop and retro don't crash though, at all so far, just the halion stuff). But if i return it all then padshop goes too as it's part of the purchase. Don't really care about PS and RL as i need stability first and foremost, for the entire collection.

OK - tbh Halion 5 is working for me in Logic 10.2 though, maybe there was a problem with the install? (sounds like something connected with the missing presets in Halionsonic)

Halion 5 works here too, for hours if that's all i insert.

How many presets do you show, can you let me know?

the problems occur when you mix and match various of the plugins, and especially when you replace others with others.

I haven't done the vid yet but I am going to today, and since you have it, you can see exactly what triggers the crashes for me. If you can't reproduce it at all, then I will have to look into it further and apologise to steinbug.

BTW are you on OSX 10.10.5 ?

ps i finally had a padshop pro crash too, it happened when browsing preets one by one, and it took a while to happen. I had gone through maybe 50 presets first. Need to find the folder where all the logic crash logs are kept and will compile them all.

Yes Mavericks - just tried switching between Halion and Halionsonic several times no crash so far.

Halion has 3922 presets (including the 2 Patchpool ones)

Halionsonic has 3451 (basically almost everything Halion has minus Simon's 2 sets and the few that are unique to Halion)

aMUSEd wrote:Yes Mavericks - just tried switching between Halion and Halionsonic several times no crash so far.

Halion has 3922 presets (including the 2 Patchpool ones)

Halionsonic has 3451 (basically almost everything Halion has minus Simon's 2 sets and the few that are unique to Halion)

no, you are on a different OS. That could explain everything. The crash on my mavericks machine was something unrelated, it hasn't happened since then (granted i still have v1 on that which has never really crashed at all). The problem is with yosemite. Which is definitely an officially supported OS on the steinberg page. Whyt he mavericks machine crashed was i only have 8gb ram and i had safari open with 20 tabs and all the memory was gone. On retina yosemite machine at time of crash, i have 14.93 gb ram free!

So you have halion/sonic but not the total absolute vst 2? Cause if you DO have the latter, i am stumped to how i have 5835 presets in halion LOL.

and 773 in sonic.

There is no option in absolute 2 to install halion sonic without halion. The installer is for halion and halion sonic gets installed along with it.

Return to “Instruments”