Is it possible to monitor effects?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can record a guitar part and then add delay to it, but is there any way that I can monitor while I'm playing so I can hear the the delay while I'm playing?

How are you listening to the guitar now while you are playing - are you monitoring directly by the input device (you didn't say what that was) ? If you can hear your guitar playing even when Traction isn't running, you are monitoring on the input side - which is good if the guitar chain has all the effects you want; but not so good if you want effects processed by the computer.

Normally if you enable "end-to-end" monitoring, you should hear coming out of the Traction (computer) audio system the output of the enabled tracks. However, depending on your audio interface, there is a possibility there is a very short delay. This is somewhat fixable if you use the ASIO interface with a relatively low buffer count.
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Peter Widdicombe wrote:How are you listening to the guitar now while you are playing - are you monitoring directly by the input device (you didn't say what that was) ? If you can hear your guitar playing even when Traction isn't running, you are monitoring on the input side - which is good if the guitar chain has all the effects you want; but not so good if you want effects processed by the computer.

Normally if you enable "end-to-end" monitoring, you should hear coming out of the Traction (computer) audio system the output of the enabled tracks. However, depending on your audio interface, there is a possibility there is a very short delay. This is somewhat fixable if you use the ASIO interface with a relatively low buffer count.
I have my guitar plugged into my Behringer UM2 usb interface. I would like to have the effects processed by the computer. And is the end-to-end monitoring option on tracktion or the interface ( I'm just asking because there is a "direct monitoring" button on my interface

I guess that's the question - HOW are you monitoring currently? The direct monitoring button on the interface presumably takes the input signals and connects them directly to an additional interface on the UM2 interface. If you use headphones in the UM2 or amp/speakers attached to the outputs on the back, they presumably will be used "pre-tracktion", and work even if the computer is turned off.

To do what you want, you'd have to use the computer speakers or headphone jack; unless the UM2 "direct monitoring" is off, in which case tracktion will send its output back to the UM2, which will presumably THEN send output from Tracktion back to your headphones or amp/speakers connected to the back of the UM2.
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

I think they changed the name of the button from "end-to-end" to "Live Input Monitoring". It's a radio button on the audio input itself, in Tracktion. Find it on the settings page, or by highlighting the audio input on the edit page. It looks like this;
live_input_mon.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

chico.co.uk wrote:I think they changed the name of the button from "end-to-end" to "Live Input Monitoring"
Right, that's correct.

gigazaga wrote:
chico.co.uk wrote:I think they changed the name of the button from "end-to-end" to "Live Input Monitoring"
Right, that's correct.
Which was a wise choice if you aren't a signal processing guru. More folks will understand this label than end-to-end

Return to “Tracktion”