One Synth Challenge #79: Lokomotiv (z.prime wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks Z.prime for the derp correction:

FYI: Jasinski's track is back up + and on the voting page (so feel free to comment on that one).

TheBellows wrote:
alvfaria wrote:
tonedef71 wrote:Although I am a guitar-oriented rocker at heart,
:D Me too. :tu:
Me too, but i'm much better at computing than guitar playing i'm afraid. :roll:
Me, too. My guitar playing chops pail in comparison to my computing chops. :ud:

By the way, fast forward to 0:52 and then 3:32 in this You Tube video
It should make you feel a bit better about your guitar playing skills.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

tonedef71 wrote:
TheBellows wrote:
alvfaria wrote:
tonedef71 wrote:Although I am a guitar-oriented rocker at heart,
:D Me too. :tu:
Me too, but i'm much better at computing than guitar playing i'm afraid. :roll:
Me, too. My guitar playing chops pail in comparison to my computing chops. :ud:
Hey guys, I think we need to form a band. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

OMG you should call yourselves 'The One and The Challengers" :P

Voted.

Some truly superb songs here! Well done everyone!

psmacmur wrote:OMG you should call yourselves 'The One and The Challengers" :P
Or maybe, "The OSCillators". :ud:

How about The Oscillating Stones?

Voted

Voted.

Lots of good stuff. Gave extra points for things that seemed to push the envelope (no pun intended). Good luck everyone!

Meakaale wrote:
alvfaria wrote:
Very clever. :lol:

:idea: We could actually band together to form a team for the OSC. Similar to a real band we could divvy up the responsibilities by instrument (bass; leads; chords; percussion; etc.) and/or by production role (chords, rhythms, and melodies; sound design; mixing/mastering).

:band2:

:!: You would not want me in the role of mixing/mastering; I recently listened to all of my Soundcloud tracks on my step-dad's computer, and they sounded awful playing through his computer's speakers. I have always mixed my tracks with headphones, so I should probably post a disclaimer for all of my tracks that says, "Best listened to with headphones."

Anyway, figuring out how to remotely collaborate as a team would probably be the first hurdle to clear.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

tonedef71 wrote::idea: We could actually band together to form a team for the OSC. Similar to a real band we could divvy up the responsibilities by instrument (bass; leads; chords; percussion; etc.) and/or by production role (chords, rhythms, and melodies; sound design; mixing/mastering).
... figuring out how to remotely collaborate as a team would probably be the first hurdle to clear.
There's that Splice thing, might be worth a look. I think the normal ways are either: a) send project files back & forth or b) send rendered waves back/forth. I expect the latter is easiest to work concurrently, especially with divided up tasks, as you just drag and swap out with the new waves when someone sends updates, whereas you end up with incompatible projects you might be able to figure out how to merge parts from when swapping the projects around... that is, even if you're using the same DAWs.

z.prime wrote:There's that Splice thing, might be worth a look. I think the normal ways are either: a) send project files back & forth or b) send rendered waves back/forth. I expect the latter is easiest to work concurrently, especially with divided up tasks, as you just drag and swap out with the new waves when someone sends updates, whereas you end up with incompatible projects you might be able to figure out how to merge parts from when swapping the projects around... that is, even if you're using the same DAWs.
Yeah the latter would probably make the most sense, considering that everyone uses different DAWs. What might be cool is if there was one "master gatekeeper" person who everyone submitted their stem to, and then they go ahead and create a mix without each respective stem for online download. That way you could easily access the rest of the song as it develops (minus your part), just drop that into your DAW as a 2-channel stereo file for working along to, and then just update that file as it's updated by the master gatekeeper. The process of adding a stem then rendering out all the versions would be time consuming, but could probably be automated in something like Reaper.

Kind of like how large teams of programmers work with a version control repository like git. One programmer makes their additions, and it's uploaded and merged into the project for everyone else to access.

Hmm... maybe all a bit ambitious! :D

tonedef71 wrote:
Meakaale wrote:
alvfaria wrote:
Very clever. :lol:

:idea: We could actually band together to form a team for the OSC. Similar to a real band we could divvy up the responsibilities by instrument (bass; leads; chords; percussion; etc.) and/or by production role (chords, rhythms, and melodies; sound design; mixing/mastering).

:band2:

:!: You would not want me in the role of mixing/mastering; I recently listened to all of my Soundcloud tracks on my step-dad's computer, and they sounded awful playing through his computer's speakers. I have always mixed my tracks with headphones, so I should probably post a disclaimer for all of my tracks that says, "Best listened to with headphones."

Anyway, figuring out how to remotely collaborate as a team would probably be the first hurdle to clear.
Hey, it could work. Why not try? :hyper:

wagtunes wrote:Voted.

As always, the cream rises to the top. Gave out three 5s this round. A number of 4s can duke it out to round out the top 5.

Z Prime
Jasinski
Loris

I predict to finish one from the bottom but who knows. I might manage to pull out last place 2 months straight.

This is my last OSC. I'd like to say it's been fun but honestly it's been nothing but frustrating and disappointing. So I'm leaving this stuff to the people who are good at it and enjoy or just don't give a crap either way. I care way too much to allow myself to feel like absolute worthless garbage month after month, so it's best I just leave this part of my life behind me.

Good luck to all the contestants this month.

You did a great job with a great free synth.
Wag - I know you've been making music for a long time and you know what you're doing, and you do a better job than you think. Please take this as friendly advice. You seem to always get your tracks in very early. Only a day or two from when the synth is announced. Maybe if you took a little more time to let the ideas percolate and develop, and then listened over a few days to refine the sounds, play around with the arrangement and strategize and refine your mix you would score better. I like your work but the production usually feels rushed to me.

For me though, the OSC is not about the points. In fact I am almost always frustrated with my point scores but the comments and suggestions from the other participants are really meaningful and valuable to me.

So don't give it up - we are all in a constant state of improvement.

ontrackp wrote:Maybe if you took a little more time to let the ideas percolate and develop, and then listened over a few days to refine the sounds, play around with the arrangement and strategize and refine your mix you would score better. I like your work but the production usually feels rushed to me.

That is exactly what I was thinking too :tu:

Return to “Instruments”