El Capitan compatibility thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I believe it's mainly the AUs that give problems, VSTs seem to be fine.
Then again, I didn't upgrade just yet, but that's mainly because MS Office isn't playing nice with El Capitan.

Leslie wrote:
chk071 wrote:"El Capitan". Whenever i read that i can't believe they chose such a stupid name for a new MacOS version...
Well, yeah, but that is not exactly what we are looking for.. ;)
Anyone with El Capitan..?
I have been testing it in Beta, and after downloading 10.11.1 today, I found that eLicenser protection was broken (again). The OS seems much more fluid than Yosemite, but, as usual, Apple messed up something that broke USB in a previous Beta (now fixed), and messed up a lot of plug-ins (including Native and Arturia), as well as eLicenser products. I was able to launch Cubase, but when I launched another host and it was checking plug-ins, all of the eLicenser protected ones started to show error messages. This is a real show-stopper.
Fernando (FMR)

I upgraded from Mavericks and am loving El Kappa so far. It feels much snappier, almost like my beloved Snow Leopard (but without the lack of support).

Apple have made major changes to USB and this will likely break all third-party drivers. That would explain NI's warning. Also they're planning a new AudioUnit spec which is why older ones are failing validation. I'm hoping it's probably an oversight by Apple and they'll fix backwards compatibility in the next update. In the meantime, it can be fixed by replacing auvaltool with an older version.

Apart from a couple of graphical anomalies in older programs like Garageband '11 I haven't run into any issues with my setup (including my iLok key).

It's a promising start. Lets hope they don't mess things up as the updates come.

I've bunged El Capitan on an old Macbook Pro to test some things. This only has Logic 9.1.8 and Live 8 on it and a limited set of plugins but both seem to be running fine in both 32bit and 64bit modes.

On audio units, Alchemy, Synthmaster and Zebra look to be OK, although when I ran auval from the terminal, the test on Synthmaster threw up some warnings about Cocoa library issues. The VSTs run fine as well. I haven't tested much more than that, but it's a pretty minimal setup on this particular machine.

I had to reinstall Alchemy because I stripped out a pile of AUs a while back. The installer didn't hang but a post-install script was taking ages to complete and looked to be blocked by the OS - possibly one of the security changes in El Cap that maybe prevents the installer's scan for sound libraries. This might be an issue for fresh installs, although I haven't looked very closely at what happened and when faced with a troublesome installer, I just get Pacifist to do the job, which solves most of the problems.

El capitan changes the way kernel extensions and other items are accepted in the file system. The System folder is now completely locked out to third parties. Third parties were already advised not to put kexts in there, but they were doing it anyway (I found all my Roland USB MIDI driver kexts and two or three dongle system drivers in there while doing manual cleanup after eliminating Cubase 4.5 and my Receptor software).

If your hardware fails to operate, it might be because the OS X upgrade moved third party kexts (and other stuff).

"The installer will move any unknown components within protected system locations to /Library/SystemMigration/History/Migration-(some UUID)/QuarantineRoot/"
- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_ ... Protection

It's remotely possible, though I don't promise, that this is what stopped your hardware/dongles from working, and if you put these kexts into their approved location (/Library/Extensions(??)) it might work... or not. Kexts must be signed by Apple now, so manual relocation might not do it. System Integrity Protection could be disabled via the recovery boot, but it's probably only something developers should do.

These changes are meant to protect the OS and push developers in line. If something breaks, there's a chance the third party developer wasn't following the rules for OS X development in the first place(?). Getting kexts signed is going to be an annoyance, though, that will possibly see some companies abandon old product support. Check to see if your hardware has class compliance. Example: Edirol UM-880 is a class compliant MIDI interface and works with the OS drivers, needing no Roland driver (if you set the hardware to "generic driver" mode).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Omnisphere seems to be OK so far.

G
Don't ask me, I just play here.

Damn I just updated to El Capitan, although all plugins seem to work with Live 9 I have a stall upon scanning plugins with Logic X but it only hangs when it gets to Native Instruments stuff.

rob_lee wrote:Damn I just updated to El Capitan, although all plugins seem to work with Live 9 I have a stall upon scanning plugins with Logic X but it only hangs when it gets to Native Instruments stuff.
Native Instruments plug-ins will not pass AUVAL (some will, but the majority don't). NI already warned about this. VST versions are OK, though. And they are not alone...
Fernando (FMR)

Jace-BeOS wrote: These changes are meant to protect the OS and push developers in line. If something breaks, there's a chance the third party developer wasn't following the rules for OS X development in the first place(?).
Yes, because developers are such bad boys :hihi: I wonder how we managed to get here with such a bunch of badly behaviouring creatures :roll: Fortunately, Big Mother Apple is watching us :help:
Last edited by fmr on Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
rob_lee wrote:Damn I just updated to El Capitan, although all plugins seem to work with Live 9 I have a stall upon scanning plugins with Logic X but it only hangs when it gets to Native Instruments stuff.
Native Instruments plug-ins will not pass AUVAL (some will, but the majority don't). NI already warned about this. VST versions are OK, though. And they are not alone...
Thanks for the info

I've used every workaround in the book and have my audio stuff mostly working now, but I don't find anything about 10.11 or 10.11.1 stable as compared to 10.10.5. I would recommend staying way for now. I wish I had.
Mac Studio Ultra, 64ram, 4tb+<4tb Samsung850-860evo ssd's in TB3 Akitio Enclosure> UAD Apollo x6-tb3/Yamaha2050/Amphion/Bowers&Wilkins/Komplete S61Mk2} latest OSX

fmr wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote: These changes are meant to protect the OS and push developers in line. If something breaks, there's a chance the third party developer wasn't following the rules for OS X development in the first place(?).
Yes, because developers are such bad boys :hihi: I wonder how we managed to get here with such a bunch of badly behaviouring creatures :roll: Fortunately, Big Mother Apple is watching us :help:
Get here? To where the primary tool in computing is fraught with functional uncertainty, instability, and system management annoyance? If developers followed the OS maker's rules about how stuff should be installed and uninstalled, there'd be less irritation in my long history of tech support. Even better if Microsoft hadn't ever created the registry and an "extensible" explorer and taskbar...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:If developers followed the OS maker's rules about how stuff should be installed and uninstalled, there'd be less irritation in my long history of tech support. Even better if Microsoft hadn't ever created the registry and an "extensible" explorer and taskbar...
OS rules that are constantly changing (especially in Apple field). OS X don't even have an "uninstaller", and after several years of use, the Library folder(s) are full of junk that is just left there by applications that the user deleted in between (convinced that it's enough to delete the application). But of course, the "evil" Microsoft is the one to be blamed :roll: It's Microsoft fault that Apple change the rules of the game basically every OS release.
Fernando (FMR)

For whatever reason Apple seem to follow this slightly paranoid protectionism lately, all that talk about sandboxing, now the protected system folder, probably an iris scan when booting is on the todo list.

The NI stuff passes AU validation in the latest 10.11.1 beta, so it looks like the fix will actually come from Apple in the form of an OS update.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”