Linnstrument Feature request: Set root note for Note Light Presets

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Roger and Geert,

I find the note light presets useful for exploring various musical scales. This feature would be even more useful if it was possible to also set the root note for the presets, with the corresponding accent and main lights changing as appropriate.

Of course the isometric nature of the Linnstrument makes this not terribly hard to do mentally, but the visual reinforcement is very useful. Would it be possible to add such a feature?

Hi Roger and Geert,
I second this request. The visual reinforcement would not only be useful but would be an excellent teaching aid for newcomers!

Thank you for your consideration
Paul

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm a little confused because I believe what you're requesting is already possible. For example, let's say you wish to use one of the 12 Note Lights memories to store a Harmonic Minor scale in the key of A:
1) In the Main Note Lights, you would select the following notes, which comprise the A harmonic minor scale: A, B, C, D, E, F, G#
2) In the Accent Note Lights, you would only A
Have I misunderstood your request?

Hi Roger,

I was aware that I could choose the specific Main Note & Accent Note Lights, but I was hoping for an even more frictionless way to change scales and tonic notes.

I was thinking about extending the Note Light Presets option in the following way:

1. Choose desired scale with the Note Light Presets (3rd row hidden setting)
2. Then choose a rote note for the preset (say via a 4th row hidden setting?)
3. Scale pattern is automatically shifted to the right tonic note

This would save the user the task of re-selecting the necessary notes every scale change, thus speeding up changes. For example, if I'm playing a song in the Eb minor blues scale and want to shift to G major, it would be great to do so with just a couple of button pushes rather than having to select all the appropriate main and accent note lights again.

Cheers!
Last edited by pmags on Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

I understand. You would like to also be able to transpose both the note lights and the note numbers that are sent either down or up. Are you aware that this is the function of the existing Transpose Lights feature, accessed from the Octave/Transpose button?
If you are asking if the Octave/Transpose feature can be integrated into the Note Lights Presets feature, that would be difficult because the purpose of the Note Lights Preset feature is to store different memories of Note Lights settings.
If I have again misunderstood you, could you tell me why the example I gave (harmonic minor scale in A) does not do what you have requested?

Hi Roger,

For whatever reason I hadn't mentally put two and two together and realized that I could achieve the same result by combining the Note Lights Preset and the Transpose Pitch! (I assume you meant Pitch rather than Lights?)

For anyone who might have the same mental stumbling blocks as I did, here's the explicit steps:

1. Choose desired scale using the Note Light Presets (e.g. D for the harmonic minor scale)
2. Use Transpose Pitch to tranpose the appropriate number of semitones up/down for your desired tonic note (e.g. 3 down for A)
3. Accent Lights (blue by default) are now the desired tonic note and the visual pattern of lit notes is in the appropriate scale.

Thanks, Roger!

It's my pleasure.

I'm guilty too! Thanks Pmags and Roger :tu:

Hi Roger (and all the rest of you!)

I've only had my Linnstrument for a few days (and I can hardly stop playing it!).

I, too, really appreciate the note lights (despite 6 semesters of music theory). The manual mentions the possibility of editing the Note Light Presets but doesn't say how. I think that's the solution for what I want to do, but let me know if there's a better way.

I want to be able to quickly shift the light pattern among the 12 major diatonic scales but don't want shift the pitches and I do want C natural to be accent lit always. That's enough for me to tell at a glance which key signature is being shown by the lights. See the attached picture showing A major as an example. With the instrument rows in 4ths, the tonic will always be the lower right corner of the little boxes and C always lit makes it easy to tell the tonic is A natural.

How can I store presets for all 12 major scales in this fashion?

Thanks!
Mike
20151012_120412.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I'm glad you're enjoying your LinnStrument. There's no need for a subsequent "save" step. Simply select one of the 12 presets and it becomes the active preset. Then any changes will affect the selected preset.

One other LinnStrument owner also asked that question. Do you think I should have used written the words "12 Note Light Memories" instead of "12 Note Light Presets". Do you think that would be more clear?

Nice! Works like a charm. I don't think calling them presets vs memories matters. I'd suggest just adding the gist of your 2nd and 3rd sentences to that part of the manual, e.g.

"To edit the presets, simply select one and it becomes the active preset. Switch to Main or Accent view and change the lights. Your changes will persist for that preset."

Cheers.

In case anyone finds it useful, here's the image from my previous post with the scale degrees enumerated.
LinnstrumentDiatonic.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”