Microsoft SurfaceBook (2!)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm really surprised not to find a thread on this already as these look amazing:
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-ca/ ... rface-book
(see bitwig there on the main page)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=407Fykg8oz4

This seems great for tablet music making! Especially for Bitwig users and 1.3...
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

I guess it does not have an i7 quad core. So the performance is not that good.. Vaio Canvas Z costs nearly the same and offers much better performance.

Melodyshine wrote:I guess it does not have an i7 quad core. So the performance is not that good.. Vaio Canvas Z costs nearly the same and offers much better performance.
In the talk he kept saying it's the most powerful laptop etc. And it's supposedly 2x master than a macbook pro. I don't see how that would possible without it being quad core. ?

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The advantage of the Mac is that you can install Windows on it.

OMG. Anybody want to buy my MacBook Air?
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Yeah, sticking "i7" or "i5" on a spec is meaningless without listing the CPU model. The difference between a i7 "U" chip and a i7 "HQ" chip for instance is pretty much 200%, it's a bit poor they are not listing what range they are working with upfront.

Kaine wrote:Yeah, sticking "i7" or "i5" on a spec is meaningless without listing the CPU model. The difference between a i7 "U" chip and a i7 "HQ" chip for instance is pretty much 200%, it's a bit poor they are not listing what range they are working with upfront.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2989727/ ... ctive.html

TL;DR it will likely be dual-core.

I was interested until I saw what the i-7 was. On the Bestbuy website, it says its the i-7 6600U and its only a dual core.....

I was interested until I saw what the i-7 was. On the Bestbuy website, it says its the i-7 6600U and its only a dual core.....

Really like the thing from the looks of it. Microsoft is doing a nice job there, comparing it to the Apple devices.

Not sure about the Apple like presentation though. I mean, i'm aware that it is like that in the US and elsewhere nowadays... but i think with every second sentence the presenter speaks that it lacks honesty everywhere. Just not the kind of guy who gets impressed by such presentations. Rather see hard facts, and no emo bleh.

Yeah it probably is a dual core. Darn.

It's really surprising to me how little cpu speeds have increased in laptops over the past few years. I guess because the focus has been on mobile and using less and less power rather than getting more performance. My Macbook Pro is a few years old but is a quad core i7, which completely destroys the newest Macbook pro 13 inch computers. I didn't realize this until looking at the specs of the newest MacBooks and macbook pros and some benchmarks. I thought, what the hell, not only has there not been any speed improvements in the past couple years for the smaller screen ones, but they are actually about twice as slow! I guess as soon as you go below a 15 inch screen, it becomes a lot harder to have the quad core power? Didn't realize that.

So yeah I was expecting the surface book to have comparable power to my macbook pro (mid 2012), but when they says 2x the power of a macbook pro, they are actually comparing it to a 13 inch macbook pro which has half the performance of my 15 inch. Therefor if they are being accurate, which they almost certainly are not being, then it would be comparable to mine. However they are probably talking about graphics intensive stuff, not cpu intensive stuff like music applications. So I would guess it's an improvement over the macbook pro by a bit but not double. So wild guess maybe I'd get 75% performance from a surface book compared to my mid 2012 macbook pro.

What are the pens like on these? Do they have pressure sensitivity? How do they compare to Wacom pens (if not, can I use a Wacom pen?)?

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Yeah it probably is a dual core. Darn.

It's really surprising to me how little cpu speeds have increased in laptops over the past few years. I guess because the focus has been on mobile and using less and less power rather than getting more performance.
Being a device that's supposed to be HYBRID, power saving is a big concern, therefore, they naturally opted for a less demanding CPU, in order to have more power autonomy.

In order to fight tablets, this particular is a must, because people keep talking about how much time they can use their iPads without recharging. Of course, we all know that we will be able to do immeasurably more with this device than we may with an iPad.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”