One Synth Challenge #79: Lokomotiv (z.prime wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote:It's no fun when your peers essentially tell you you're the worst of the lot.

Want it to be fun?

Take away the rating system.
Take away the prizes.
Hello Wagtunes!

I'm new to the OSC, and this month was my first submission. You know what... the thing which I have enjoyed most about this competition is the community which congregates around this monthly OSC ritual. It takes a special kind of mindset to enjoy the process of making a full track out of a free plug-in which might not have the best capabilities or be rock solid stable. And so far, it seems to me that all the "regulars" here on the OSC are people with this mindset. It's like a hobby! I find that incredibly cool (and not only because I am also of the same mindset :D )

So with all these people purely in it for the challenge of seeing how far one plugin can be pushed, it seems to me that no one really cares who's track is better than who's, and considering the objective of OSC and the mindset of the people who participate in it, neither should they care.

I for one though do like it as a bit of friendly competition! It encourages people to participate, and to push their creative abilities and their tools just a bit further.

Yes, it can definitely sting to always be last on the list -- and in various ways, we've all been in that place in our respective lives. But if you're only able to devote a small amount of time each month to this, and also you're confident that you could better if you had a substantial amount more time, then really... I think that you needn't feel too negative about it all. It is what it is... a friendly little competition run by people who just like to tweak synth plugins and have a shot at making a track with some fun limitations in place. :hug:

Voted

This has been my first entry to the OSC and I've treated it very much as a "toe in the water". I don't have huge expectations for my own rather modest track but I certainly found the challenge fun.

There's a huge amount of impressive talent here in terms of production, composition and arranging. I see I'm going to have to somehow up my game (especially on the production side) if I want to get to challenge for a high rating.

Although I've been making music for a while, I'm really more a guitarist/singer leaning towards folk/pop, so this is a little out of my comfort zone.

I hope to enter again although perhaps not this time. I downloaded MUX but found it a bit confusing and hard going, so I'm hoping for something I'll love a bit more next time.

pylon wrote: I downloaded MUX but found it a bit confusing and hard going
If you still want to take part, use Musynth, its built into Mux, it's a more traditional type of synth with its own gui rather than being fully modular, you wont be disappointed
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

One more time listened all tracks...! :phones: Perhaps third or fourth time. :tu:

This was to re-confirm points given by me. I may complete final voting by next weekend now. :party:

Thanks to everybody who has spared time to listen my track and commenting on the same.

Please PM me if any of us has something more to share with me about my track (of course if you have some time to spare for me). This is my second entry. I am develpoing my ears. However, it is always good to receive something from another source which may have totally different perspective. :hug:

I would like to improve when I start with MUX.

Thanks,
Dee.P.Tree

Re headphone troubles: I'm forever having trouble with one of my channels... one of my laptop speakers has never worked properly; one output from my controller synth cuts out with increasing regularity; and recently one channel on my headphones started to go; I hope it's not the phones themselves. :scared: Yes, the very headphones whose cord I had to replace due to my cat nomming the old one when she was a kitten. A bad, knob-stealing, cord-nomming kitten. :x Anyway. Reassuring to hear others have these dumb technical troubles too. :tu:

Yeah, my cat likes to dip her paw into the bass ports on the monitors! :o

and ... the speaker covers on my big room system looked like giant vertical scratch mats to her too! :lol:

Maybe I need to do a track about her scratching ... oh, yes, I did ... :hihi:

dB

You guys are so lucky. My kitty just distracts me from music altogether... but that's a good thing

lol cats... They are just so awesome, and my cats are actually really great with my music gear, they don't mess with anything. They started sleeping on my midi controller when I first got it, but I told them that wasn't cool and they've been surprisingly okay with it since.
Non-music stuff on the other hand... then they mess with everything.

I have terrible luck with other people's pets though...
I've lost at least 3 pairs of skullcandy type earbuds to different friend's cats when I sat my cd player down unattended for too long (then later in life mp3 player). Twice right after I bought them. And now this time with my roommates dog and my good headphones. None of these my own pets!

p.s. I have two seats at my little music area, when I use it I pull them both out to sit on one myself and one of my cats sits in the other and watches me work the whole time, it's awesome and adorable!

Ok, I have VOTED.

Must say general quality was high this time around, good work everyone!
Since I vote in relativistic manner the 2:s and 1:s are just tunes I found less inspiring than the rest. All tracks have at least something going for them, interesting idea or well placed sounds.

Best of luck to everybody and hope to see you in Mux-Mux Land!

Deleted ...
Last edited by marks-a-whybikky on Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voted. This was my first OSC. I've had lots of fun getting to know this community so far, and I'm impressed with all the great tracks. Definitely hooked!

Voted!

The level of the submissions is again veeery high. :tu:
So if I gave only 2 points, it just means that I wanted to straighten out my ranking, not that your track was "bad"!

BTW I am really sorry that I couldn't comment on every track... :(

Cheers, Björn

Voted!

Voted! Good luck everyone and thank you for all your nice comments! :)

Return to “Instruments”