Roland Boutique: New Jupiter 8, 106/60 and JX3P on the way?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mztk wrote:oi, girls...other topic..we don't care.
--------------------------------
meanwhile, more jx03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... MYI7AVw7nk
Maybe my ears or attitude today, but that one seems recorded fatter and easier to hear the tone of the various settings. Sounds fatter and less toy-like than in some demos.

The light effect on the ribbons is interesting. Not that it makes the sound better or easier to play, but an interesting effect.

Has anybody here pre-ordered any of these yet?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Anybody that has been touched by the analog magic yet or isn't it strong enough to break through the youtube quality? I love the cutefactor of these units but I haven't heard much beyond classical patches that can be emulated to a satisfactory extent with my JP8000 (and with this a lot of other VAs I guess). Though there were some cross-mod with the JU08 that sounded great at some point. I need to test these to know if the difference is great enough to justify a buy. Also hope for more sound examples.
Last edited by IncarnateX on Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Right.
What i hear on these Youtube videos doesn't make me think to myself "Wow ! This is great ! A new era in virtual synthesizer technology begins now.", mainly because i am used to hearing that kind of good sound from Diva, PG-8X and U-NO-LX.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Or in other words, 'there are a lot of soft synths that now emulate the sounds of the original 80s synths'

The upside of the hardware is, of course, that it's not caning your processor in the same way that Diva does.

Mushy Mushy wrote:Has anybody here pre-ordered any of these yet?
Just pre-ordered (or better: reserved) a JP-08 (no keyboard) at my local music shop. Actually they had ordered some anyway.

They told me i could test it there when it arrives and do not have to buy if i don't like it. They would sell it to someone else then.

I do not really trust judging hardware synths synths ny YouTube videos and demos or impressions that others posted.
More than one time i already got a wrong impressions about certain synths which i found quite nice after checking them myself.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:Has anybody here pre-ordered any of these yet?
Just pre-ordered (or better: reserved) a JP-08 (no keyboard) at my local music shop. Actually they had ordered some anyway.
Contemplating doing the same, but only because they're limited edition - which is exactly their intention. Bastards :hihi:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

This one makes way more sense IMHO, if we are talking hardware digital poly synths:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEKfzLY55JU
I just don't know the price yet.
[edit]
995 Euro
So about 112% of the 3 "boutique" synths.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

A fantastic demonstration of the Roland AIRA and the brand new Boutique line performed by David Åhlund at Budapest Music Expo 2015! World’s first demo video of Roland JP-08, JX-03, JU-06 and K-25m! Enjoy! https://youtu.be/MnoPCuZrECk

Mutant wrote:This one makes way more sense IMHO, if we are talking hardware digital poly synths:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEKfzLY55JU .
Cool, but unique digital sound if you ask me and thus a little far from the emulation division.

What I wonder though is whether a customer would prefer two units of JU06 instead of a real Juno 106 or two units of JX03 instead of One JX3P. The differences in price range may be small. Especially if you add the keyboards to the modules. If the emulations are as good as they say, there could be benefits in choosing the VA versions. They are small, portable, have some extra features compared to the originals and don't need service. Though if you go for the analog magic, you may as well save your money for the real deal.

IncarnateX wrote: What I wonder though is whether a customer would prefer two units of JU06 instead of a real Juno 106 or two units of JX03 instead of One JX3P. The differences in price range may be small. Especially if you add the keyboards to the modules. If the emulations are as good as they say, there could be benefits in choosing the VA versions. They are small, portable, have some extra features compared to the originals and don't need service. Though if you go for the analog magic, you may as well save your money for the real deal.
Not sure about the JX-3P, but regarding the Juno-106, there is a good reason to prefer these: the osc chips, which are prone to fail on the Juno-106. So much so that it isn't a matter of IF they will break but rather WHEN they will break. The same happens with the MKS-30 (the module version of the JX-3P).
Fernando (FMR)

Claiming there is much if any "analog magic" (whatever that is?) in the later Roland polysynths is a bit of a stretch too.

They have more or less standard OTA cascade filters, standard waveforms with standard performance (more like software than analog oscillators, as they are digital oscillators with analog filters applied) and standard signal path. The chorus is nice, but no different from an identical stereo chorus you find in many Roland rack mounts and very similar to other BBD based chorus effects.

The alpha juno is quite interesting as it has a unique filter (series of two KHN/TT stages for 24db low-pass) where the peak is shaped differently than it is in the 106 or similar four cascaded OTA low-pass filters. It also packs a few interesting waveforms which are combinations of other waveforms from a single oscillator.

The jx-3p and jx-8p are a bit more interesting because they have two oscillators and sync + xmod (very similar to Xhip) yet you're limited back with the simple waveforms and plain old four-pole cascade low-pass filter.

You can't produce the same interesting organs, brasses or pad sounds with the jx- or juno synthesizers that you can with the alpha junos due to their unique filter configuration.

The jx- synthesizers also lack any noise or ringmod levels in the mixer which I find very limiting.

Very little if any "analog magic" from these synthesizers.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

fmr wrote: Not sure about the JX-3P, but regarding the Juno-106, there is a good reason to prefer these: the osc chips, which are prone to fail on the Juno-106.
True. I just sold a Juno 106, when I had to make a choice between keeping my JP8000 or Juno 106. I have had it for a decade. The chips hadn't failed on me so far but it had grown more noisy during the years for whatever reason. Then the rumours about shifting chips began. Better safe than sorry. Digital emulation is the way to go if you want to avoid service issues and the sound scope is often much wider due to extra features.

IncarnateX wrote:
fmr wrote: Not sure about the JX-3P, but regarding the Juno-106, there is a good reason to prefer these: the osc chips, which are prone to fail on the Juno-106.
True. I just sold a Juno 106, when I had to make a choice between keeping my JP8000 or Juno 106. I have had it for a decade. The chips hadn't failed on me so far but it had grown more noisy during the years for whatever reason. Then the rumours about shifting chips began. Better safe than sorry. Digital emulation is the way to go if you want to avoid service issues and the sound scope is often much wider due to extra features.
I've had two chips replaced in my Juno-106. But what I've seen is mostly that if the chips are going to fail, they already would have by now. Also, there are these replacement chips:
http://www.analoguerenaissance.com/AR80017A/
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

aciddose wrote:Very little if any "analog magic" from these synthesizers.
I meant "analog magic" in a figurative and not concrete sense in my post, with a tiny but harmless irony on top.

However, for those who grew up in the80s, "analog sound" may refer to especially Roland synths with exactly those restrictions you mention because they were everywhere in the early synthpop and were affordable to the homestudio musician.

But I think your feature comparison is interesting, for I am old enough to have grown up with analog synths and when you discussed them at that time, you simply compared their features in relation to their soundscope, not some underlying sonic denominator for all analog synths in the world we would call "magic" and which in worst cases are believed to be more perceptual significant than the nature of a patch and the musical context as a whole. And as far as I recall it wasn't about analog magic either when analog synths had a come back during the 90s but especially the hands on control surfaces which made them good for live performances. God knows where this analog magic trend started.
Last edited by IncarnateX on Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”