Bitwig Studio 1.3 on iPad (RA)

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIJ5fdRBtSs

Remotely accessing Bitwig Studio 1.3 (Mac OS) from an iPad 2 using Splashtop app.

Overall, I would not recommend this as the Mac version is not optimized like the Linux and Windows version. As you can see the controls are a bit finicky, this is because the Splashtop Streaming app has gestures of its own, and its a bit hard to drag items without right clicking. (on the app, holding down right clicks)

I don't think I used any knobs in the video, but it is possible to rotate them. Also I think there is a way in the splashtop app to turn down the sensitivity. I had it on default sensitivity, which was a bit too sensitive for this. (i.e. dragging the midi note)

Another reason why I would not recommend remote access, is because the resolution does not scale well to the iPad. Some items were just too small.

I am interested in looking at a tablet that runs windows, where the Tablet view has the Radial Menu and is optimized for the experience.

It's still fun to mess around with though. If you would like to try it yourself, you will need soundflower to send the audio to the iPad and set it to the output in Bitwig. (i believe soundflower is bundled with the installer)

And a link to the app if you want it:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/splasht ... 09315?mt=8
Last edited by WXLF on Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

is that you? any more details?

Suloo wrote:is that you? any more details?
Submitted too early. Edited the original post.

BTW.. Two things that I could not get to work in Tablet View:

I could not close a tabbed project by tapping on the "X". It would just bring me to that project. (tried clicking with the mouse too)

The on-screen musical keyboards did not have any response. Not sure if this was a bug or just because it's not optimized for Mac.

That reminds me, should try 1.3 on my windows pc but using remote desktop on the ipad. It recognizes that its a tablet so could probably switch to tablet mode in bitwig through there

ezelkow1 wrote:That reminds me, should try 1.3 on my windows pc but using remote desktop on the ipad. It recognizes that its a tablet so could probably switch to tablet mode in bitwig through there
Have you tried this yet?

Was it practical?

Also did it scale well to your iPad's resolution? The one in the video was only 1024-by-768

WXLF wrote:
ezelkow1 wrote:That reminds me, should try 1.3 on my windows pc but using remote desktop on the ipad. It recognizes that its a tablet so could probably switch to tablet mode in bitwig through there
Have you tried this yet?

Was it practical?

Also did it scale well to your iPad's resolution? The one in the video was only 1024-by-768
Yea I tried it briefly, it worked. Got the radial popups. On my local network it also wasnt that bad to use and pretty responsive. Even remotely not too bad as long as your connections fast enough

The screen is a bit small though but seemed bigger than 1024. Looks like the iOS MS rdp client doesnt let you choose resolution but other clients usually do. So there may be a third party one that will let you run in whatever resolution you want. Maybe there is a setting somewhere I havent found in the MS one either

Yes runs nice on remote desktop. But usb controllers not recognized . Can't use computer either.

The usb ones Im not sure about (usually theres some settings for that), but not being able to use the computer is expected, your taking over use of that PC. RDP is not like VNC where someone can watch you move the mouse

The other option is a couple registry changes, if they still exist. You used to be able to put windows into true multi-user mode where you could remain logged in on the PC and using RDP would actually login a second user on the pc under the hood and run a whole second set of applications. Im not sure if you can still do that though

-edit
quick searching found this:
http://www.mysysadmintips.com/windows/c ... windows-10

you can either hexedit the term services, or theres a wrapper that you can run that can enable it

Return to “Bitwig”