BITWIG 1.3 Touch enabled (really!!!)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Scottex wrote:
Image-Line wrote:
SLiC wrote:There is a reason why Microsoft picked Bigwig fore the Microsoft surface official launch demos- it actually works
So does FL Studio BTW. We have been working with MS for a couple of years now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXvqBDfEhls

Regards Scott
It can't be 'cause Bitwig has raced ahead of the game :hihi:
Yes, sarcasm aside I believe with the 'radial menu' they did race ahead, they simply improved on what other are doing which is probably why MS used them for the demo (with the pressure sensitive linnstrument screen etc.)-

Let me define what I mean by 'works' . With 'all' touchscreen interfaces I find myself reaching away from the touch screen for the mouse. There is a difference between touch screen being 'implemented' and touch screen actually being better than WIMP environments. IMHO Bitwig is the closest to a useable mouse free environment with the radial menu, it isn't there yet...but I think it is the best implementation on a slate, especially with pressure recognition on the input for expressive play.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live+PUSH 3 Standalone, Reason, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

OutCider wrote:
trimph1 wrote:Market share must be getting a little tight....
Not with 700k likes on facebook :lol:
Weeeeeeellllll.....whistleface.

:oops:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

pdxindy wrote:I prefer to have an actual music machine that is higher spec'ed than touch tablets... and then to have a touch screen device as a controller... maybe for editing VST's... that sounds cool

even the high end Surface Book, that screen is too small to be a primary screen (for me at least). Also, the Microsoft site has little info at all on the CPU's used... they do not mention speed or # of cores. Something is wonky with that. According to one site, the high end model is a Skylake dual core i7 @ 2.7ghz
i5 for 2000$ good luck...
Even Macs with same specs are cheaper...

Do Macbooks have touchscreens? (pressure sensitive pen input?)

From what I looked at on the MS site, the spec was higher on just about every count than the MacBook's and claims 12 hour battery life even with video and remember they have a detachable tablet screen (with its own battery)- not sure if they will be 'twice as fast' as claimed (I take everything with a pinch of salt) but, it is good to see someone else make sexy looking ubber powerful high end laptops firmly aimed at artists/designers/musicians- apple has had that ground on its own for a long time! Check out the add, even has midi controllers!

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/ ... ersatility
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live+PUSH 3 Standalone, Reason, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:Do Macbooks have touchscreens? (pressure sensitive pen input?)

From what I looked at on the MS site, the spec was higher on just about every count than the MacBook's and claims 12 hour battery life even with video and remember they have a detachable tablet screen (with its own battery)- not sure if they will be 'twice as fast' as claimed (I take everything with a pinch of salt) but, it is good to see someone else make sexy looking ubber powerful high end laptops firmly aimed at artists/designers/musicians- apple has had that ground on its own for a long time! Check out the add, even has midi controllers!

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/ ... ersatility
This is good news even for us Mac users... it will push Apple to up its game ;-)

The place the Surface series looks a bit deficient is connectivity

My MBP has 2 thunderbolt ports and 2 USB3 ports...

The Surface Pro 4 has 1 USB3 port
The Surface Book as 2 USB3 ports

Did you see the neat little dock they have made for the surface book with more I/O? Could be a solution.

SLiC wrote:Did you see the neat little dock they have made for the surface book with more I/O? Could be a solution.
For sure... though it costs an additional $200

pdxindy wrote:
SLiC wrote:Did you see the neat little dock they have made for the surface book with more I/O? Could be a solution.
For sure... though it costs an additional $200
Well isn't that what you would pay for 2 x Apple branded USB cables :)

Regards Scott
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

SLiC wrote:Yes, sarcasm aside I believe with the 'radial menu' they did race ahead, they simply improved on what other are doing which is probably why MS used them for the demo
Really? We have been doing that for a while now and MS have the beta. FL Studio was shown at the 2015 Microsoft Build Developer Conference alongside Bitwig FWIW. We are definitely on their radar.

Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

Scottex wrote: i5 for 2000$ good luck...
Even Macs with same specs are cheaper...
Don't worry about it mostwest. People will buy and use them, I guarantee it.
:hihi:
Last edited on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 17 times in total.
:dog: :hihi: :lol:

:clap:
excellent. was screaming for something like this for 5 years.
glad to finally see it as reality in what seems a very usable form .
can't wait to try the demo but the link still points to 1.2 :( ...though the videos already have me sold on it.
the debate mouse & keyboard VS touch is pointless..they cater different needs..for example if you want to make music while chilling in bed or travelling ...mouse & keyboard are simply not suitable. touchscreen is a more portable solution. period.
btw I even have a touchscreen monitor for my desktop and already find it useful from time to time (if GUIs have big enough controls)....and I'm curious what else I might end up using it for with a DAW that caters for it...though yeah for desktop a good mouse is probably more important than a touchscreen.

edit : found link to 1.3 demo. thanks. :hyper:
Last edited by olikana on Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

olikana wrote: the debate mouse & keyboard VS touch is pointless..they cater different needs..for example if you want to make music while chilling in bed or travelling ...mouse & keyboard are simply not suitable. touchscreen is a more portable solution. period.
laptop and wireless mouse works just fine for traveling, or the cafe and so on.

I've not tried the surface pro, so it may be different as it's a real OS, but my experience with iOS and Android left me disliking touch screens. They are clumsy and cumbersome and I am much faster and more productive with keyboard and mouse for a great majority of regular work I do.

When I'm traveling, I have lots of stuff to do... maybe I want to make some music, but also I'll be doing some writing, photo editing, website design etc. There are lots of tasks the touchscreens suck at. For just about every situation I would much rather have key commands and mouse.

Key commands are too useful to give up. But I can see replacing the mouse with a precision pressure and tilt sensitive stylus that has a couple buttons.

pdxindy wrote:
olikana wrote: the debate mouse & keyboard VS touch is pointless..they cater different needs..for example if you want to make music while chilling in bed or travelling ...mouse & keyboard are simply not suitable. touchscreen is a more portable solution. period.
laptop and wireless mouse works just fine for traveling, or the cafe and so on.

I've not tried the surface pro, so it may be different as it's a real OS, but my experience with iOS and Android left me disliking touch screens. They are clumsy and cumbersome and I am much faster and more productive with keyboard and mouse for a great majority of regular work I do.

When I'm traveling, I have lots of stuff to do... maybe I want to make some music, but also I'll be doing some writing, photo editing, website design etc. There are lots of tasks the touchscreens suck at. For just about every situation I would much rather have key commands and mouse.

Key commands are too useful to give up. But I can see replacing the mouse with a precision pressure and tilt sensitive stylus that has a couple buttons.
Who said you have to give up key commands? I use the touch screen, Surface pen and the keyboard all the time on my Surface Pro. You say it now because you haven't used a Surface Pro but I've actually gotten pretty damn fast at using the pen and the touch screen. And from what I've read, it's pretty easy to do photo editing in Photoshop with a Surface Pro.

that's the thing. touch gives you 1 more input option to be used when mouse & wheel isn't practical.
you can do some pattern/midi sequencing or adjusting some automation while walking around or doing some stuff arund the flat. while you're standing , sitting , laying about..
i'm actually torn between the Surface and Yogas . the yoga's solid 360 inge makes it adaptable to all sorts of positions and placing it wherever ...while obviously adds weight making it not so good for holding.
I currently have an old 2012 xps12....multitouch but no digiztizer/pressure sensistity stuff....so yeah will be upgrading at some point.

the bitwig 1.3 demo is damn cool. better than any implementation I have seen so far. but needs more scaling options. some things are just too tiny for my likes. and interacting with fingers with the included instruments/effects is just impossible & just about ok with a stylus. as a first touch release it's great work though :tu: ...but there's still some way to go to reach parity with ipad apps in terms of GUI/interaction.
Last edited by olikana on Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”