Bazille issues again

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For the first time in a few months and after loading the latest version, I loaded an instance of Bazille, was going through all sorts of presets, and was getting incredibly horrible distortion for numerous of them. Anyone else having a similar problem?

Not that we know. What revision are you using, and what host/platform?

Cubase artist 7,Windows 7, latest build.

Hmmm, let's see...

Are the presets just clipping or do they have long release times and maybe the CPU is maxed out? Did you try the Multicore option?

Could also be an accidental Midi Learn from earlier on. Have you checked the new MIDI page for any unexpected assignments?

Also, we had a case where someone installed the newest version but he also still had and old one. What is the exact revision number shown on the UI?

If it's none of these, we'd love to get one or two presets in question (saved again after it happens) and maybe even a short sound recording.

Thanks,

- Urs

I checked my soundcard settings, an M-Audio 1814 Firewire, and had the ASIO buffer size at 64 samples, so reset it to 128 and that might have been the only issue. I've got a pretty high end pc with an Intel i7 3820 and tons of Ram, so doubt if it was the pc. I've often had 20 plugin synths and lots of processors like Uhbiks running with no issue.
Last edited by rockmachine on Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah I get distortions on a late 2012 macbookpro from bazille that I don't get with other synths and its from multiple reasons. If I use the multi core option (I always do) anything that takes computer resources will clip it (like if your internet drops for a second for instance or if you have a browser open or something like that). Also, some of the presets are louder than others so check for clipping. I just have to follow certain rules like turn off my wifi and watch for amplitude clipping. I'm willing to do that for the quality but I do get it more with bazille than other soft synths for good reason. It's reasource hungry because of all the modulation rates. CPUs are not good at modulation rates.

I've been working on the problem of pops and clicks in bazille. A good preset to test with is grassland under the pads filter. I can play it but I get intermittent pops and clicks. This has to do with resources going on in the background while playing bazille. Especially on multithread mode. Now... I'm doing all this on a stock 2012 macbookpro so it's not the best of computers but should be powerful enough to get away with...and that's what's happening...I'm just getting away with it. So I turned on my activity monitor and I've been watching the background activities. Anything online or looking online is going to do it first of all. So I turned off my wifi... but there is still background activities going on like virus protection...so I disengaged as much of that as I can and that helped a lot...but there is still back ground activity associated with trying to connect with the internet...like cloud based stuff and update checks....the list goes on and I'll never be able to stop it all from trying to go online so.... I ordered 16 gig of ram last night and I'm going to see if having unlimited ram to handle these things will help with the background noise. I think it will but I may in fact have to upgrade to an ssd drive to play realtime in high performance mode. There is something causing intermittent spikes.
Last edited by Dasheesh on Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

at this point I can get away with playing realtime in low mode and single cpu thread setting.

I looked that Grassland patch up and played it, to my surprise it didn't play smoothly on my 2012 MBA. To my surprise because I never run into CPU issues with Bazille. The "problem" with this patch is that the number of voices is set to 16. Try lowering it to 4 or 8, then it will work just fine, no need to change the HQ mode or anything.

EDIT: actually, when you're playing bigger chords, you'll run into issues with that solution...

BDeep wrote:I looked that Grassland patch up and played it, to my surprise it didn't play smoothly on my 2012 MBA. To my surprise because I never run into CPU issues with Bazille. The "problem" with this patch is that the number of voices is set to 16. Try lowering it to 4 or 8, then it will work just fine, no need to change the HQ mode or anything.

EDIT: actually, when you're playing bigger chords, you'll run into issues with that solution...

I didn't even notice it was running so many voices man. Thanks...I'm really interested in all these background "root" instances going on in the background now...hehehe.

Just for documentation, when I turned down the number of voices the intermittent pops stopped. I'm hoping 16 gigs of ram will help me play bazille at full performance. I got a feeling I will eventually need an ssd drive, which I've been told can improve speed performance by as much as 4 times. I'll update later this week.

@Dasheesh - I'm no computer expert, but I think that adding RAM only brings relief with sample-based instruments, and won't affect synths like Bazille or Diva that eat CPU, not memory.

@ Howard. I've been doing some investigation and at first I thought it would help because I seemed to be getting spikes with back ground "activities". So I ordered the ram last night. But I've been reading up and you are right about that according to everyone else. I watched my memory usage today and my stock is 4 gigs and i have been hitting 3 1/2 gigs in regular use so I'm not technically maxing out my ram yet. It will be good for track "freezing" (rendering) tho never the less. Next will be an ssd drive.

Well, extra RAM and an SSD will make your Mac noticeably snappier. Especially SSD is incredible, I'll never use a regular hd again :)
But yeah, it won't do much for synths, but it's an improvement in lots of other areas.

oh yeah. Got my RAM this morning. I just shoved it in and turned on my laptop. It hasn't been this snappy since I bought it. It's like new again. Feels much more solid. Everything loads quicker and snapper. The best part is...no more problems with Bazille :love: . I can even leave my wifi on while playing "grassland" patch at hi quality. Should have done this earlier. Next will definitely be an ssd.

Return to “u-he”