Roland XV5080 (2080, JD-990 etc.) with DAW? VST counterparts?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

im such a sucker for many old game music soundtracks etc. and C&C was mostly made with Roland sound gear and a few other units, i listened to some sound demos on youtube and heard some sounds used in the game and i am so pumped! sad thing is i ONLY have VSTs and as known Roland doesnt has VSTs with those sounds etc. so i guess my only option is to get a REAL HARDWARE unit, thos faked and illegal soundpacks online to buy etc. (ebay) are i guess bad in quality and have no synth possibilities.
I NEVER used hardware (only my Novation) with FL Studio, are there REALLY no vsts, packs (legal) which have the above mentioned (i read that the XV5080 has all the sounds etc. from the 2080,, JD 990 etc.) units?
how hard is it to record the sounds to DAW? can i also use midi noted in fl studio and assign somehow the sounds and save the songs each time? and recall in a project of FL Studio itself? i dunno at all and love the workflow with VSTs :(

thanks!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Not clearly the same as the modules, but Omnisphere 2 is better is so many aspects. It was made by Eric Persing, the key person behind all those gears.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

crystalmsc wrote:Not clearly the same as the modules, but Omnisphere 2 is better is so many aspects. It was made by Eric Persing, the key person behind all those gears.
Thanks. I already got omnisphere 2 and 1 for a long time. But I couldnt hear many similarities in presets so far :). Something old and nice sounding do those modules/racks have i think where omnisphere is too modern sounding (great of course).
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote:how hard is it to record the sounds to DAW? can i also use midi noted in fl studio and assign somehow the sounds and save the songs each time? and recall in a project of FL Studio itself?
Not that different from using a VST. These units respond to midi (so you have total recall) and you can "print" their output to an audio track and then disconnect it. But having a multi-channel audio interface is recommended.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Caine123 wrote:Something old and nice sounding do those modules/racks have i think
The Synth Anthology or Digital Syntations from UVI maybe. They certainly have that old vibe.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

crystalmsc wrote:Not clearly the same as the modules, but Omnisphere 2 is better is so many aspects. It was made by Eric Persing, the key person behind all those gears.
I respectfully disagree. Firstly yes Eric did presets for XV series but he did not do EVERY SINGLE preset. Secondly these instruments are praised (still today) for their sound character. Third - you can do 20 000 56893, 54354354 presets with XV as well ;)

I am aware of what trendemous big library Omnisphere is. But i am sucker so i prefer 200-300 usable sounds over 50gb of everything/iamgodeverything. I prefer things which are done to do one thing not every thing.

To this date i have not found any replacement for XV series. If one need such sound then XV need to be ordered. Maybe it is best to have both because Omni have some really cool sounds which are not inside XV such as cool drums. And that super deep synthesis engine.

These days i am looking for integra 7. So try to learn about that as well. It is kinda retrospective of all XV sounds from past / VA synth engine / and Supernatural engine.

Kind regards

kmonkey wrote:
I respectfully disagree. Firstly yes Eric did presets for XV series but he did not do EVERY SINGLE preset. Secondly these instruments are praised (still today) for their sound character. Third - you can do 20 000 56893, 54354354 presets with XV as well ;)

I am aware of what trendemous big library Omnisphere is. But i am sucker so i prefer 200-300 usable sounds over 50gb of everything/iamgodeverything. I prefer things which are done to do one thing not every thing.

To this date i have not found any replacement for XV series. If one need such sound then XV need to be ordered. Maybe it is best to have both because Omni have some really cool sounds which are not inside XV such as cool drums. And that super deep synthesis engine.

These days i am looking for integra 7. So try to learn about that as well. It is kinda retrospective of all XV sounds from past / VA synth engine / and Supernatural engine.

Kind regards
+1

Its great to see this kind of dedication - I guess one of the upsides of the Internet is that its easy to share "Ultimate F.A.Q.:s" of many, many different genres.

kmonkey wrote: These days i am looking for integra 7. So try to learn about that as well. It is kinda retrospective of all XV sounds from past / VA synth engine / and Supernatural engine.
Roland fa06 and fa08 are "slightly crippled" versions of integra, less expensive and with a keyboard. IMO only slightly crippled, the sound capabilities near identical. For instance integra has a fancy multichannel pan I would never use, and it has a couple of supernatural models not in the fa.

On fa and integra there are the supernatural models of a handful of instruments, piano, bass, guitar, strings, drums.

Then there is the supernatural organ, hammond type stuff. Have heard worse, and have heard better. Ferinstance real hammond is much better.

The supernatural synth that pretends to be a three oscillator "analog synth" and can be tweaked pretty good with lots of oscillator and filter choices.

And then there are the pcm sounds which are greatest hits of all the xv waveforms, programmed with a four part voice structure instantly recognizable from jv 880 onwards. I don't know if the pcm engine with four parts is identical to xv 5080, never used 5080. I doubt if the integra or fa is missing any features. I'd wager either that engine is identical or expanded. Also you can download from roland free all of the old line of xv expander cards to software install into integra or fa.

So all the old voice parms and waveforms and patches are in there. Maybe there could be hardware details that would make the same patch sound slightly different coming out of an xv dac rather than an fa dac. Dunno. Tis doubtful I would be picky about that. They sound about as they always did to me.

I'd checkout the XV3080 as it is going for very little nowadays but is an amazing module. The 5080 has a few extras including sample playback, larger screen, digital out but not really sure its worth spending the extra on it just for those features when all you need is the sound. Personally I have owned a 3080 for over 10 yrs and would never get rid of it. I have used an Integra7 and its amazing, the sounds are very clear but the same patches from the 3080/5080 don't have the same oldskool quality. I've tried a lot of software synths, absolutely amazing some of them but nothing replaced the XV so I'd say pick one up without hesitation.
Dead easy to integrate into a DAW.

Caine... What sounds exactly are you looking for? Is it piano, strings, guitar, acoustic drums etc. I think East West Goliath is probably still your best bet.
There's also a plug in called Purity that might be worth a look.

Purity is quite useful, more like a basic Korg Trinity than a Roland XV but again it doesn't come close to the hardware.

Caine123 wrote:Something old and nice sounding do those modules/racks have i think where omnisphere is too modern sounding (great of course).
AirMusicTech's Vacuum Pro VST is very much a retro-sounding synth...incredibly warm & analogue sounding.

An absolute must have,in my opinion.

Caine123 wrote:im such a sucker for many old game music soundtracks etc. and C&C was mostly made with Roland sound gear and a few other units, i listened to some sound demos on youtube and heard some sounds used in the game and i am so pumped! sad thing is i ONLY have VSTs and as known Roland doesnt has VSTs with those sounds etc. so i guess my only option is to get a REAL HARDWARE unit, thos faked and illegal soundpacks online to buy etc. (ebay) are i guess bad in quality and have no synth possibilities.
I NEVER used hardware (only my Novation) with FL Studio, are there REALLY no vsts, packs (legal) which have the above mentioned (i read that the XV5080 has all the sounds etc. from the 2080,, JD 990 etc.) units?
how hard is it to record the sounds to DAW? can i also use midi noted in fl studio and assign somehow the sounds and save the songs each time? and recall in a project of FL Studio itself? i dunno at all and love the workflow with VSTs :(

thanks!
For "C&C", are you referring to "Command & Conquer"?

If you are, then according to Wikipedia, "The Command & Conquer soundtrack is the first video game produced by Westwood to feature streaming music as opposed to MIDI.[4] The 22k mono tracks were produced using an ASR-10 sampler, a Roland S760 sampler and a Roland JD-990 synth module."

Wikipedia also mentions this: "Klepacki defined Red Alert 2‍ '​s style with heavy metal guitar and fast-paced beats.[10] Klepacki scored the game with a Korg Tr-rack, Novation Nova Desktop, and Roland 5080."

The Ensoniq ASR-10 sounds are still available in the Proteus VX VST (32-bit only), or as slightly different-sounding versions from DSF, but available for Kontakt, SoundFont and other formats.

As previously noted, UVI's Digital Synsations has quite a few sounds from 4 synths from that era (including the D-50), and UVI has given away Digital Synsations twice over the past 2 years (a $199 value).

If you want the same sounds used in the C&C music, you may have a problem. I seriously doubt they used the factory presets that came with the synths, and even if they used third-party presets, most of those developers are out of business now.

If you're just looking for the character provided by those synths and samplers (and who isn't--they're great!), you can get close with VSTs and VST-based "samplers" that emulate older synths samplers. For example, SQ8L emulates (and reads files from) the Ensoniq SQ-80, and Cyclone emulates (and reads sample files from) Yamaha TX16Wx samplers. Both of these are free, as are many others.

Novation also makes the V-Station VST. It's not great, it's not cheap, but it may get you some of the Novation sounds that were used.

There aren't any VSTs that will emulate the specific hardware you mention in your post (thankyouverylittle, Roland) but there are many ways of getting close to the sound you want.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”