News from fxpansion >GEIST 2<

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Geist

Looking forward to Geist 2

The GUI looks a bit crowded, or tiring to my eyes. Maybe a darker theme, with more defined sections, and bolder fonts could help make it look less cluttered. Hopefully, they can improve the GUI.

Still hooked on guru with the original content, the delay and distortions are still the best Ive come across in some, I always forget how good the generic fx are on my samplers while skimming through vst after vst for an effect to take the audio from mediocre to incredible

The GUI looks a bit like a Rob Papen GUI, but unlike RP I don't think FXpasion will release it like this, it is a sketch in progress.

Lotuzia wrote:They have to pack a lot of things in the UI though.

So I suppose its the price to pay for a certain complexity.
Ableton Live does what Geist does and more, and looks less cluttered and more intuitive.

For example

The early beta of strobe (V1) looked a lot like this, its just a layout temple whilst they code, I am sure the final product will look a lot nicer.
Yes, That screenshot is old news. It was posted months ago in the Strobe2 thread (while Strobe2 gui's was still WIP), and also on the FXpansion forum.
I think (hope) the GUI can (and will) evolve.
But instead of moaning about the GUI, we can mention the forthcoming great and awaited features :
- I understand they have gone vector-based, so one of the major concern with Geist (the tiny GUI) is gone, as, being resizeable, it will be able to fit any screen and any scenario. Of course, going vector-based instead of bitmap-based means changing the GUI.

- Also, one excellent new feature is that the added the transmod system, so it means at last the coming of some modulation in Geist (Geist is wonderful, but doesn't feature any LFO).

This being said, I am loving the v1 GUI, and i hope they will keep some aspects of it :)

tehlord wrote:

Ableton Live does what Geist does and more, and looks less cluttered and more intuitive.

For example
And Live's bloated as f***. Sometimes straightforward dedicated samplers are better for people. Just my opinion, I guess.

However, if there able to optimize Geist even more (like strobe 2) that will be greatly appreciated. Not to mention strobe 2 is much more stable to me than strobe 1 was. Haven't had a single crash since the last 2 beta versions. :)

Shouldn't this topic be posted under the 'Instruments' Section of the forum ?

Maybe a moderator can move it.

sugo wrote:What do you think about the new gui?
You're kidding, don't you?

if that's the new gui i won't upgrade. it looks horrid.. like the old ass emu software sampler but without all the charm ;)

really.. all the little boxes on the left?? wtf is that? it looks like 2 steps backwards and no steps forward.

this must be a joke/troll or something. that gui is laughable and pitiful imo. i'd rather just keep geist as is without any gui 'improvements' or workflow 'improvements'

tehlord wrote:

For example
The host is expected to take the whole screen... the plugin is not

masterhiggins wrote:
tehlord wrote:

For example
And Live's bloated as f***. Sometimes straightforward dedicated samplers are better for people. Just my opinion, I guess.

However, if there able to optimize Geist even more (like strobe 2) that will be greatly appreciated. Not to mention strobe 2 is much more stable to me than strobe 1 was. Haven't had a single crash since the last 2 beta versions. :)
The sampling with threshold and auto send to pads is super fast in Geist. Much quicker than doing the same thing in Live.

Drawing patterns is much faster than doing the same thing in clips in Live.

masterhiggins wrote:
tehlord wrote:

For example

I use and love both. And no, Live does not do everything that Geist does. Geist as a dedicated drum sampler does have it benefits, but the scenes and song mode are things I find to be redundant and no where near as flexible as Live, but if I didn't use Live I could see how some would find it useful.

Anyways...

I'm sure that what we are seeing is just an early Alpha version, so I do expect improvements.

I'll gladly take the 2D when and wherever resizing options are made available. To me workflow is everything, and I'll take functionality over needless eye-candy any day.

Can't wait to see what how this develops!

So what year is Geist 2 expected ? :wink:

I hope it doesn't have all the weird bugs and issues of previous versions :roll:

Muziksculp wrote:Shouldn't this topic be posted under the 'Instruments' Section of the forum ?

Maybe a moderator can move it.
Why?
I put em here, because its a sequenzer!
Was Große tun, beschwatzen gern die Kleinen.

Return to “Instruments”