soundtoys V5

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Even I was a bit cautious on upgrading, specifically with the warning screen, and though to hold off for the first update. But the fact was I didn't really have anything to much to lose project wise so just went ahead. Ironically I've not had any problems.

This isn't a dig, but some companies just seem to have a better hold on the plugin architecture then others, like fabfilter and plugin alliance. Things like 64bit, AAX and new o/s versions they have been lighting fast.

The rack seems to bring another dimension to these plugins. Sound toys plugins were already very intuitive to use for quite deep plugins, but the the rack has added to the accessibility greatly, from my early impressions at least.

Anyhow, has no one picked up on the massive price increase of the native fx bundle v5? It's now $499 instead of $495 :hihi:

kenobi77 wrote:Anyhow, has no one picked up on the massive price increase of the native fx bundle v5? It's now $499 instead of $495 :hihi:
:o
Gouge!

Much the same as you, I've upgraded seamlessly and older projects are loading without a problem.
Loved the ST stuff for a while, got a couple of individual plugs when I could, then did the Black Friday thing last year to get them all…and now it's another level :tu:

these are still unusable to me.. i was talking to soundtoys over so many emails about this problem years back and it is still there. It's so frustrating and potentially ear damaging.

I can't believe they didn't fix it for V5. Well it was $50 well spent as i can just sell the whole package now, it will sell I am sure.

What happens is that i have made a setting with a knob. Let's use an example here, that i have driven radiator to it's max input, but also lowered it to it's negative max output.. i.e i was simply driving the sat without increasing the volume.

All good. I go to grab the output knob, and it behaves as expected, i can adjust the volume from where i last had it. But every so often, say 1 in 10 times, when going to grab any soundtoys knob on any plugin, instead of grabbing where it is position wise, it just jumps to some random (usually extreme) position. This time the output decided to jump to +18 db :dog: - and all i was trying to do was grab it so i could take it from MINUS 18 db to around minus 15. If i hadn't had the logic isp limiter on the master i probably would have blown my iloud.. and thank goodness i was not wearing headphones.

This proves to me that besides the rack there is no bug fixes/changes in the version 5's at all. Just a desire to charge users for the exact same plugins, in the exact same formats, with the exact same bugs. For those wondering whether to upgrade individual plugins, do NOT BOTHER.. trust me on this.. only upgrade if you want the rack ie want to upgrade to the full bundle. If you only have a couple plugins and have no intention of getting more, don't bother paying $29 to upgrade each one. Oh. unless you really don't want to use the ilok dongle anymore but would rather use the ilok software to authorise your HDD. BTW.. that's what they are REALLY charging for, the capability of not using the physical dongle.

I am also experiencing other bugs with displays, like displays names of parameters on the echo filters jumbling to nonsense, when i click on them they go back to hi or lo pass.

And more bugs i am compiling in the mac notepad.

But the knob one is actually infuriating. For real. I mean it's done it on devil loc deluxe and radiator so far. Which, with decapitator in third place, are my two favourite soundtoys plugins of all time.

Now soundtoys can't even try tell me it's my machine.. cause this is a brand new machine and new OS from the last time we spoke. All i did was turn it on, install logic from the app store, reboot, ilok manager, reboot, soundtoys 5, reboot, waves, reboot. That's it so far.
and OS 10.10.5. Macbook pro retina 2.8ghz 15', and nvidia 750 video.(and iris pro)

previous machine with identical problem was a 2011 non retina, with amd graphics. Using 10.6/10.7/10.8 and finally 10.9 before it was retired.

I am going to make a video of this too.

Something more mellow: processing a little guitar impro played on one of my MachFive 3-guitar instruments with a custom rack. Working with the rack gives me a sort of hardware feel and reminds me of the good old Eventide days, if now the devs could maybe implement that tube smell and the rack warming up over time, maybe cigarette ash and coffee stains appearing on the various modules after some hours in use - that would be cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vQYwTGmf2Y

Sampleconstruct wrote:Something more mellow: processing a little guitar impro played on one of my MachFive 3-guitar instruments with a custom rack. Working with the rack gives me a sort of hardware feel and reminds me of the good old Eventide days, if now the devs could maybe implement that tube smell and the rack warming up over time, maybe cigarette ash and coffee stains appearing on the various modules after some hours in use - that would be cool.
I just noticed I had my buffer at 64 samples so there are some CPU crackles unfortunately (which were only audible on the video), but I can't repeat that FX mangle impro and I liked it, so be it.

ok i went through all the soundtoys effects one by one except for the rack.. i was tweaking decapitator, i saved the project and quit logic, and it said "microshift has crashed logic". Microshift wasn't even in the project then! It had been used about 4 effects prior. Over this for now.

If someone want to try the setting used in the guitar mangle above, here is the preset for the FX rack:

Download

Sampleconstruct wrote:Something more mellow: processing a little guitar impro played on one of my MachFive 3-guitar instruments with a custom rack. Working with the rack gives me a sort of hardware feel and reminds me of the good old Eventide days, if now the devs could maybe implement that tube smell and the rack warming up over time, maybe cigarette ash and coffee stains appearing on the various modules after some hours in use - that would be cool.
This demo is particularly gorgeous! I don't know if I'll be able to hold out much longer. Besides, I'm going to need some new effects to run that Mother-32 through... :hihi:
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Argh! I'm so weak. I just gave in and bought it.

Actually, I noticed a couple of things. In my account, I had licenses for Little AlterBoy and Little PrimalTap. I could trade in both of those licenses together for a discounted price of $440. But then I looked closer and saw that I could trade in just Little PrimalTap for a price of $439, or LIttle AlterBoy for a price of $429. It was actually cheaper to just do Little AlterBoy than to do both or the other one!

The other thing I did was search back for last year's Black Friday sale price. It turns out that by waiting for the sale, assuming a similar price to last year, I would only save $50 off of my current discount. That hardly makes it worth waiting, in my opinion.

So now I'm downloading... :)

TheoM wrote:ok i went through all the soundtoys effects one by one except for the rack.. i was tweaking decapitator, i saved the project and quit logic, and it said "microshift has crashed logic". Microshift wasn't even in the project then! It had been used about 4 effects prior. Over this for now.
:party:

TheoM wrote:ok i went through all the soundtoys effects one by one except for the rack.. i was tweaking decapitator, i saved the project and quit logic, and it said "microshift has crashed logic". Microshift wasn't even in the project then! It had been used about 4 effects prior. Over this for now.
You probably should've stuck with Reason dude. :tu:
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

deastman wrote:
This demo is particularly gorgeous! I don't know if I'll be able to hold out much longer. Besides, I'm going to need some new effects to run that Mother-32 through... :hihi:
Thank's - Mother-32, cool, so you're going the hardware road with actual patch cables and real smell of electricity to go with your new virtual wooden FX rack :party: :tu:

Sampleconstruct wrote:
deastman wrote:
Thank's - Mother-32, cool, so you're going the hardware road with actual patch cables and real smell of electricity to go with your new virtual wooden FX rack :party: :tu:
Clearly you haven't seen my existing 45U of eurorack. The Mother-32 is just a toy. But a fun toy that I can use to augment my modular. And my SEM patch points edition. And my Minibrute. And my MS-20. And my... Oh, never mind. What I really need is free time to actually use all this stuff! :help: :cry:

deastman wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
deastman wrote:
Clearly you haven't seen my existing 45U of eurorack. The Mother-32 is just a toy. But a fun toy that I can use to augment my modular. And my SEM patch points edition. And my Minibrute. And my MS-20. And my... Oh, never mind. What I really need is free time to actually use all this stuff! :help: :cry:
Well, at least you have it all setup so when the day comes you finally have some time, all you need then is some creativity to go with that equipment.

I wonder why we humans have f**ked up our concept with time and money, something seems wrong...

Sampleconstruct wrote: Well, at least you have it all setup so when the day comes you finally have some time, all you need then is some creativity to go with that equipment.

I wonder why we humans have f**ked up our concept with time and money, something seems wrong...
Don't get me started! I'm just watching life pass me by... At least I'm good at acquiring consumer goods. I even wrote some lyrics about it:

In the dark on the night
I fill up my empty life
With my credit card and computer
But I'll have the last laugh
This shall be my epitaph:
"He was a good consumer."

Still waiting for my slow, creaky wifi to finish downloading SoundToys 5...

Return to “Effects”