One Synth Challenge #79: Lokomotiv (z.prime wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Likewise, voted and I appreciate all the comments. I will definitely take the feedback into consideration on future projects… such as next time there is a mac-compatible OSC.

Still working on voting, this is a tough one...

But hey did you guys know a lot of (most? all?) hardstyle/hardcore type songs are in 6/8 rather than 4/4?
I mean, is this like common knowledge or what?
Cause I had no idea until last month, when I tried it myself for my entry.
I had tried a couple songs in/influenced-by those styles before in 4/4 and I had to cram beats into places they didn't want to go, but in 6/8 they fall right where I want them naturally. This was big news for me!
Did I just miss that one, or is this yet another dark secret I've stumbled upon, like the OSC-train-theme conspiracy or soylent green?

...kinda quiet round here, just thought I'd try to make conversation lol

tylerm wrote:Likewise, voted and I appreciate all the comments. I will definitely take the feedback into consideration on future projects… such as next time there is a mac-compatible OSC.

Cool :D

BTW, OSC80 is Mac-compatible :party: :party:

actioncat wrote:This was big news for me!
Did I just miss that one, or is this yet another dark secret I've stumbled upon, like the OSC-train-theme conspiracy or soylent green?

...kinda quiet round here, just thought I'd try to make conversation lol

hahah awesome!

that pic is too good

actioncat wrote:Still working on voting, this is a tough one...

But hey did you guys know a lot of (most? all?) hardstyle/hardcore type songs are in 6/8 rather than 4/4?
The genres, as always, fall into each other a lot but I've found that hardstyle is almost exclusively 6/8, perhaps with brief excursions into 4/4, while the rather similar harddance go more for 4/4. I'm not a big fan of the style but my significant other is and I have been seen stomping on more than one dance floor...

I have no idea what hardcore is in electronic music :) I'm thinking hardcore either as punk from the post punk era with screamed lyrics or happy hardcore, trance on an overdose of amphetamine from Germany or benelux, usually on >160bpm and smurf voices.

mehum wrote:I have no idea what hardcore is in electronic music :) I'm thinking hardcore either as punk from the post punk era with screamed lyrics or happy hardcore, trance on an overdose of amphetamine from Germany or benelux, usually on >160bpm and smurf voices.
hmm interesting :)
Yeah "hardcore" as a genre description is about as vague as it gets, off the top of my head I can think of 5 different styles with that name...
But as far as electronic stuff goes, I'd say it's like happy hardcore without the happy, very similar to hardstyle but faster and usually darker, lots of horror movie samples and distorted vocal clips.
But if you ask someone a bit older they'd probably tell you something pretty different.
Not a genre I keep up with anymore, but it was a big help for me in transitioning from punk and metal (and the other hardcore you mentioned lol). When I heard how powerful those kicks could be I was impressed and ready to stop being a narrow minded jerk about electronic music lol

bjporter wrote:
tylerm wrote:Likewise, voted and I appreciate all the comments. I will definitely take the feedback into consideration on future projects… such as next time there is a mac-compatible OSC.

Cool :D

BTW, OSC80 is Mac-compatible :party: :party:
Standing corrected. In truth by 'mac' I meant Logic, since Mux doesn't appear to support Audio Units. That said, I did just make some noises with Mux in MuLab, so clearly this is feasible (at the slight risk of making Logic jealous).

It's okay, Logic, you are still my primary DAW, I just need a little break for a while… not you, it's me, blah blah blah

Yeah, I had a similar journey in my late teens, early twentieths (although at that time I was more of a prog rocker than metal/punk head). Only I made it through hard synth/EBM (Front Line Assembly etc), then softening it down with old school synth and synth pop. Had a friend really into synth so he took me on a journey through electronic music while I got him hooked on Jethro Tull :P A few years later came into the dance scene through psytrance and psychill. Still took a while to accept it as "real music" :D Nowadays I can move around to a 909 kick going for hours but almost cringe at the sound of a guitar solo, so still being a narrow minded jerk, I guess ;)

Voted.

Voted!

Yay!

************ DoctorBob has generated his votes ************* :hihi:

Fantastic tracks yet again. Some outstanding as usual :tu: - good luck everyone. :clap:

dB

By the way, here's the project file for my track. I couldn't get the presets so work at all in Lokomotiv so if anyone's interested in the sounds you may extract it from this instead...

Reaper 4.78 used.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4fkrufgr9rgeg ... x.RPP?dl=0

Voted !

Lot's of good tracks this time. My top 5 was quite easy to spot (more or less :wink: ), then assigning 2's, 3's, 4's was more difficult as each track had some good things for itself.
We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-f-2

*** Voted ***
Lots of good sounds and great arrangements, good work :)

Have a great day and greetings
https://soundcloud.com/kraftraum
-8<-------------------
Take it or break it!

Return to “Instruments”