Bitwig 1.3 RC 1 - Touch Bitwig Studio

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Congratulations guys on implementing this so well. You are killing it.
Been pretty entrenched in ios/osX for awhile and this gave me pause. The nerdy side of me likes the freshness of SP4, plus I live 30 mins from Microsoft and have personal ties to it. Here's my personal debate, for what its worth.

Switching to SP4:
Obviously more powerful touch than my ipad. Bitwig's implementation looks sick, exactly how I would have hoped.
It's a full computer, those benefits are obvious.

Current ios/Osx:
MORE portable. Yes SP4 is portable, but since I have had my air2 anything else feel bulky and heavy. I don't even want the ipad pro. There's the whole ergonomic debate too.
ios apps: The ecosystem is awesome. Super creative, inspiring apps. My FAVORITE apps are also the ones that are sketch pads that you can expand on later on a larger system. Can't even count the songs I have done on the bus, train, waiting rooms, etc. Yes I could use an SP4 in those situations, sort of.
It's been said before, but also true (for me at least). There's something about the ease and speed (not chip speed though very fast), I mean how quick apps open and are ready to go, how easy they are to use, etc.) of ios vs. a full computer.
Trackpad gestures. Not sure I'm ready to give up how well implemented that is (and has been for years) on my mbp. Though fun and intriguing at first (and again extremely well implemented by BWS), I still think using the touchscreen is going to be slower and more clumsy.
So I guess I'm leaning towards staying for now, but this is the first time I have been tempted.
Between Live and BWS, whoever makes an app similar to but more powerful than imaschine first (that let's you start ideas literally ANYWHERE with a device in your pocket, and then expand on it later seamlessly), will have my loyalty. Anyone who uses imaschine will know what I mean. Korg and others are already having their projects Live compatible.

I've got really hacked off with OS X's support for old products. Been building a Windows 10 machine and so many plugins I never thought I'd be able to use again have risen from the dead. Back to pillaging KVR for obscurities :)

I've got Yosemite virtualised as well just for Logic (can't live without Sculpture) and the Michael Norris plugins.

Awesome work on the new touch screen interface. Works really well under Ubuntu. Will you add support for pen pressure sensitivity in the future with something like a Wacom drawing tablet?

gislikarl wrote:Awesome work on the new touch screen interface. Works really well under Ubuntu. Will you add support for pen pressure sensitivity in the future with something like a Wacom drawing tablet?
It has penpressure
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

Hello,

Anyone tried to use Bitwig 1.3 on an iPad with something like Duet Display ?

You guys rock. And, you should tell Microsoft that this product launch coordination with Bitwig was really a great move. Their new surface book just jumped to the pole position in my search for a new laptop. And from everything I've seen in this thread so far, it doesn't look like I'm the only one who is thinking this.
Studio One Pro 3.3 and PT 12.6 on Win 8.1 Pro, i7-3930k, Sabertooth x79, 16GB G.Skill 2133, Lynx Hilo, Eleven Rack, Chandler TG2, Liquid Channel, Mojave MA-200, Focal CMS65s. Oh, and a "few" guitars...

syver wrote:Hello,

Yes, I did and to be honest it's a bit awkward. Something works, something doesn't, not to mention that there is no support for multitouch (Apple should finally include this to OSX!).

I also asked the Bitwig team to provide possibility to have two windows open at the same time - tablet and other window for the main screen. I could use the tablet window for launching clips, etc.

I am a Macbook fan. I have switched from Windows several years ago (and never looked back) but now the new Surface Book 4 is kicking Apple's ass, so I hope they will wake up and push some great features for Macbook / iPad users.

takaii wrote:
gislikarl wrote:Awesome work on the new touch screen interface. Works really well under Ubuntu. Will you add support for pen pressure sensitivity in the future with something like a Wacom drawing tablet?
It has penpressure
But only if using a Surface Pro tablet. Was wondering if they would add it for other tablet pens as well.

Hi,

I've been thinking about buying an Icon Qcon Pro to go with bitwig but with the touch screen options now available do people think something like a 27" touch screen to add to my pc would be a better option?

Thanks,

imagine2015 wrote:
syver wrote:Hello,

Yes, I did and to be honest it's a bit awkward. Something works, something doesn't, not to mention that there is no support for multitouch (Apple should finally include this to OSX!).
Thanks. Was asking because I tried it to and I got a Duet message telling me that IOS 9 is not supported and I could not drag any of Bitwig 1.3 windows to the iPad.

Hopefully we'll have a Duet update soon and I'll try it again. It works quite well with NI's Maschine.

gislikarl wrote:
takaii wrote:
It has penpressure
But only if using a Surface Pro tablet. Was wondering if they would add it for other tablet pens as well.
Ah sry got ahead of myself, thought it would work with everything. Hit a mail to support@bitwig.com :tu:
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

I just tried out 1.3rc1 on my work laptop running Ubuntu 14.04. I can use multitouch, but I'm not sure I get everything working.

When playing using the on-screen keyboard I can play with multitouch and use pitchbend if I move my fingers on the x-axis. But wasn't something supposed to happen when moving my fingers on the y-axis? Or is it just me picking the wrong patches in polysynth?

Any ideas/corrections/explanations?

Excds wrote:I just tried out 1.3rc1 on my work laptop running Ubuntu 14.04. I can use multitouch, but I'm not sure I get everything working.

When playing using the on-screen keyboard I can play with multitouch and use pitchbend if I move my fingers on the x-axis. But wasn't something supposed to happen when moving my fingers on the y-axis? Or is it just me picking the wrong patches in polysynth?

Any ideas/corrections/explanations?
btw, the polyphonic playing as demonstrated in the video only currently works with Bitwig instruments... not VST's

To be über-correct: polyphonic modulation!
Polyphonic playing would just be playing a chord and should obviously always work. 8)

However, before leaving for the weekend i actually only wanted to mention that if you keep the package manager up to date, there should be a "MPE" tag in your preset browser if you set it to show the presets of all instruments.

Cheers,
Dom

Wow, tried 1.3 RC 1 yesterday pretty briefly with cheap Teclast X98 tablet. First impression is very promising, pretty stellar work with the UI. Somehow I was under impression that it had only some new keyboard layouts to play notes, but luckily I was mistaken, the overall use flow has been really thought out with smaller tablets in mind.

I have to continue experimenting how much that cheapo-tablet can take the pressure before choking out...

Return to “Bitwig”