1176 compressor emulation -- IKMultimedia Black 76 vs Stilwell's Rocket?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In a lot of tutorials I'm going through I see 1176 emulations frequently used. I'm looking for one on the cheap. I have been demoing the Rocket (which I've read -- correct me if I'm wrong -- is indeed a 1176 emulation), which seems to behave the way the UAD 1176 emulations in the tutorials do, and sounds good to my ears. (The Rocket does seem to lack the "all buttons-in" or "nuke" setting, but I can live without that.) How does the IKM unit compare? Is it a "truer" version of the 1176? It's currently on sale for $50 at AudioDeluxe.
Last edited by lingyai on Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

You didn't see the ALL button near Ratio on The Rocket?

Doh! :dog: No, I didn't, now I do... thanks. :tu: Though again, that feature doesn't matter much to me. Anyone who's used both the Stillwell and IKM units have any opinions?

I own both and use both but if I only had to pick one it would be the Rocket, hands down.
Play it by ear

pheeleep wrote:I own both and use both but if I only had to pick one it would be the Rocket, hands down.
true. Rocket is amazing and when we talk about fetaures it is the best - optional oversampling, HP filter, amount of harmonics..... BUt I would check the market forum for NI VC76 which is fantastic and I saw it there many times for less than $35. I love FG-116 in VMR bundle which is my favorite.

poshook wrote:
pheeleep wrote:I own both and use both but if I only had to pick one it would be the Rocket, hands down.
true. Rocket is amazing and when we talk about fetaures it is the best - optional oversampling, HP filter, amount of harmonics..... BUt I would check the market forum for NI VC76 which is fantastic and I saw it there many times for less than $35. I love FG-116 in VMR bundle which is my favorite.
I also own NI VC76 and The Rocket still wins (for me). I have never used FG-116. I can't comment on that one. The Rocket also has adjustable Threshold.
Play it by ear

Thanks guys. Also, the Rocket has a parallel compression knob. So I guess the money stays in my pocket this time. No impulse buying this time! No sir, not me. Why pay for something worse than what I already have? I'll just use what I've got. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go cry...

Don't cry, use that money to bid on something from Luftrum's Charity 2015. For the kids... :tu:

pheeleep wrote:
poshook wrote:
I also own NI VC76 and The Rocket still wins (for me). I have never used FG-116. I can't comment on that one. The Rocket also has adjustable Threshold.
Yes, it has adjustable threshold because there is no input section, imho the main weakness of Rocket. All other mentioned alternatives have input section modeled and VC76 has parallel processing as well

I've only used the Rocket, but I have to say it is a really useful and characterful compressor. Very good for taming transients.

You know I forgot I have the Rocket and maybe didn't even know it was a 1176 emulation.
I was recently away from my studio for a month with my laptop. In my studio the 1176 is my defacto vocal compressor.... I have the UAD mk2 version on my PC desktop but none on the macbook pro..

I tried the NI one, nope..... I tried the slate one...... nope.....the only one that came close was the ik multimedia one.... but it was not close enough. I ended up buying a UAD-2 Thunderbolt Satellite for my laptop........ I actually will now compare it to the rocket and see how it does fare, for my own curiosity.

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:You know I forgot I have the Rocket and maybe didn't even know it was a 1176 emulation.
I was recently away from my studio for a month with my laptop. In my studio the 1176 is my defacto vocal compressor.... I have the UAD mk2 version on my PC desktop but none on the macbook pro..

I tried the NI one, nope..... I tried the slate one...... nope.....the only one that came close was the ik multimedia one.... but it was not close enough. I ended up buying a UAD-2 Thunderbolt Satellite for my laptop........ I actually will now compare it to the rocket and see how it does fare, for my own curiosity.

rsp
there are many 1176 units and they are different from each other. I have IKM76, Slate FG-116 and The Rocket. I like the Slate most. HUge character and does not smear the source even with drastic compressio

poshook wrote:
zvenx wrote:You know I forgot I have the Rocket and maybe didn't even know it was a 1176 emulation.

rsp
there are many 1176 units and they are different from each other. I have IKM76, Slate FG-116 and The Rocket. I like the Slate most. HUge character and does not smear the source even with drastic compressio
Ok..
I have those you mentioned and the UAD-2 ones as well.

Just tried the Rocket, and it is indeed really good for my use. And does to me come closest to the UAD ones indeed.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:
poshook wrote:

rsp
Ok..

Just tried the Rocket, and it is indeed really good for my use. And does to me come closest to the UAD ones indeed.
rsp
very nice test for 1176 clones is drum bus.

poshook wrote:
zvenx wrote:
poshook wrote:

rsp
Ok..

rsp
very nice test for 1176 clones is drum bus.
True, but I use something else on my drum bus (these days NI Super Charger GT), so didnt' test it that way.. it always gets used by me for either Lead Vocals or Electric Crunchy guitars.
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Effects”