Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

Hi !

I"ve downloaded the DEXED AU synth + Dexed_CART_1.0 and I installed it on my Macbook Pro 15", OS 10.9.5.

In my opinion, it sounds better than NI FM8. I'm not a sound designer, but just a "sound user", and I can't stop to play with it.

CONGRATULATIONS to the developper and THANK YOU VERY MUCH for a so playfull and good sounding synth !!

Regards,
Lutin mutin.

Hi asm,

Just wanted to report a GUI error with a few of the algorithm displays that I noticed today. I saw this when looking at algorithm 22 as I was following an example from the Chowning book. The good news is that they appear to be implemented correctly it is just the lines are not drawn correctly in the GUI.

Here is a link to an image of the 32 algorithms http://cnx.org/resources/a605440cb9ad18 ... ig4_14.png

And here are the ones that I noticed are drawn incorrectly although I may have missed one or two! (e.g. 22 operator six modulates 3,4 and 5 but this is not shown by line in the GUI)

19: 6 mods 4,5
20: 3 mods 1, 2
21: 2 mods 1, 2 and 6 mods 4, 5
22: 6 mods 3, 4, 5
23: 6 mods 4, 5
24: 6 mods 3, 4, 5

Also I think this might have been asked before but is it possible to have the breakpoint note displayed as a NOTE (from A-1 to C8 i.e. midi 9-108), instead of 0 to 99? At the moment I have to refer to a table.

Anyway, congrats on your work so far and hoping this makes it into the 1.0 release along with aftertouch etc. :)

Cheers,

provoc

Hi all,

I measured a few hundred envelopes now... You can find the measurements here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3833150/EG.xlsx

The point is this: there's no easy formula, or rather: there is one, but there are also many "doubles", meaning that two EG rates share the same value. E.g., let's take a look at the Attacks:

Level going from 0-99

Rate: value (in seconds)
0: 39,66
1: 39,78
2: 31,79
3: 31,77
4: 26,45
5: 22,70
6: 22,77
7: 19,86
8: 15,88
9: 15,87
10: 13,24

Clearly, 1, 3, 6 and 9 are the same as 0, 2, 5 and 8 (the differences are below the error threshold). However, 0, 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10 give a very nice exponential curve. So, any description of the DX7 envelopes must take into consideration these "doubles", which are the same for all the Attacks (values going up from 0-99) and all the Decays (values going from 99-0).

As for the times, it's simple: every second level has the same value as the one before it. For example an Attack with a Rate of 10 going from 0-99 takes 13,24 seconds. The same going from 0-98 takes the same 13,24 seconds. 0-97: 12,35s, 0-96: same...

Attack Rates are the same for all four stages. Decay rates are differing between 1-3 and 4 (aka the Release phase)

In the Excel-files, all the "doubles" are highlighted, and from the measurements exponential curves can be extracted. Somebody smarter than me will be able to fill in all the blanks, there are enough measurements to go from here.

All the best
Sebastian

Is there a way to see the filename of the currently loaded cartridge? If not, this would be good to have. With all the roms available, its impossible to remember which one a particular patch belongs to.

JackOnan wrote:Is there a way to see the filename of the currently loaded cartridge? If not, this would be good to have. With all the roms available, its impossible to remember which one a particular patch belongs to.
Good suggestion. I hope the next version has correct characters for all patch names.

Any idea on when the next update will be ready?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

:o Win xp 32 bits with Orion , it doesn't work ..i can't load the syx files from dx7 allthe web and Dexed cart zip ...??? It's like if it can't detect those banks ( they are in the cartridge folder , but can't open them ) but it works when i open the dexed dll with savihost ...??? any solutions ? Thanks ! ;)

Hello everyone. Don't want to disturb the developers talk too much so just a quick question: could someone quickly guide me through the installation process on Mac? I must be missing something, just can't get this amazing looking Synth to work.
I would be so thankful if someone could help me out quick.
Best,
T

JackOnan wrote:Is there a way to see the filename of the currently loaded cartridge? If not, this would be good to have. With all the roms available, its impossible to remember which one a particular patch belongs to.
Yes... I just have to find where in the cart manager I could put this information.
electro wrote: Any idea on when the next update will be ready?
By the end of the year... Summer isn't over and I'm working on other projects :D Next version will have programmable AMD/PMD and able to read DX7II syx performance data for some parameters. I'm cleaning the code right now.

I'm also working on an DX7 accurate 10-bit osc rendering. (no I will not only reduce the sine to 10-bit; it is more complicated than that).
Tubular Tos wrote::o Win xp 32 bits with Orion , it doesn't work ..i can't load the syx files from dx7 allthe web and Dexed cart zip ...??? It's like if it can't detect those banks ( they are in the cartridge folder , but can't open them ) but it works when i open the dexed dll with savihost ...??? any solutions ? Thanks ! ;)
What do mean you can't open them ? You don't see them in Orion or you double click and it doesn't do anything ?
Tonda wrote:Hello everyone. Don't want to disturb the developers talk too much so just a quick question: could someone quickly guide me through the installation process on Mac? I must be missing something, just can't get this amazing looking Synth to work.
I would be so thankful if someone could help me out quick.
Best,
T
If it is for AU, you can follow this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMEBeOZF7L4

asb2m10 wrote:
Tubular Tos wrote::o Win xp 32 bits with Orion , it doesn't work ..i can't load the syx files from dx7 allthe web and Dexed cart zip ...??? It's like if it can't detect those banks ( they are in the cartridge folder , but can't open them ) but it works when i open the dexed dll with savihost ...??? any solutions ? Thanks ! ;)
What do mean you can't open them ? You don't see them in Orion or you double click and it doesn't do anything ?
;) Just forget what i said about savihost cos it doesn't work too ! So i really have a problem beetween Orion and Dexed ....so i can see the banks in the cartridge but only one is useable , the synprez FM ! The one re called Dexed_cart and the one called dx7 alltheweb are there but i can't use them ; even if i want to open a syx file in those banks i can't open them .
dexed_cart_orion.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sorry if it's been posted here already (I tried searching) but is there any 'thru' function for triggering a TX7 on Dexed?

I can communicate fine with sending and receiving patches but it doesn't seem to send MIDI notes out (either thru my controller or via the onscreen keyboard) so there's no way to listen to the unit as I program.

My MIDI drivers aren't multi client so I can't send MIDI out from the sequencer to the unit while also using it inside DEXED.

Thanks.

Sorry, this is not a reply to your question, but another question. It's most likely VERY simple to answer. I really like the way this synth sounds. I've been a DX7 user since they very first came out (yes, I am an OLD timer) & I own both NI FM7 (which WAS great) & FM8. I can't get the DXed to respond to any volume (CC7) messages; ie I can't turn the volume up or down with the volume control on my controller.

Since I've read a pretty good chunk of this thread (not all, but a LOT) & as far as I've been able to see, nobody has mentioned this 'problem', so I assume nobody else has it & I'm not doing something right. Although, I can really see HOW I can do CC7/volume control wrong, I'm sure that if there IS a way to do it incorrectly, I'm doing it.

I would appreciate it if somebody could at least respond to this & tell me if they have the same problem or not. If this synth doesn't respond to MIDI CC messages, WILL it with some future update? If it already does (again, I'm assuming THIS is the correct path here), would somebody PLEASE tell me WTF I'm doing wrong or if I need to do something special etc?

I'm using Sonar Platinum mostly, but I have also tried it with Cantabile 3 (both programs are 64 bit) neither allow the volume changes (CC7) & any other synth I've used in either program either work correctly "right out of the box" or allow for MIDI learn, so I can just teach the VSTi to respond to CC7.

Man, that's a LOT of writing for such a simple question. Sorry for all the "blah, blah, blah...".

Thank you in advance for any help I can get.

I'm afraid I also have a question:

In the Chowning book it says one must set a global parameter in the DX7 called 'envelope bias'

What does that do and how is that implemented in Dexed? . :?:

Thanks!

"Kids! Get off my lawn!"

Dexed right now doesn't read any CC messages. But I don't see why it shouldn't be implemented in the next version.

As for the envelope bias, it will be implemented in 0.9.1 (including aftertouch, mod wheel, foot, ext). I'm expecting to release this by the end of december. All of this will be accessible by using the "PARM" dialog.

Thanks for your reply! . :)

So, Santa is going to bring a nice surprise then ... ;)

Looking forward ...

"Kids! Get off my lawn!"

64bit for Mac?

Return to “Instruments”