My reverbs are killing my CPU....

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pottering wrote:I may be wrong, but I've been told that the reason people always recommend to put reverbs in sends is exactly because they are well-known CPU-killers
Well, sends is how it was done from a real board, with a return channel (or channels). So you have levels that you send and a level on the return, which is simply about control. Now the channel/the bus sent to has the reverb device inserted on it, so that's the return channel covered; you have two places you enjoy control over. As to "good form", the reasoning is you are acting like here's this room where everybody is situated; and this is deemed a clean modus operandi. There's going to be more to worry about with extra reverbs. Now, I do some special sound design (reverse, slapback etc) that is separate from this basic room concept and I typically treat drums differently than everybody else in the mix. Drier for the most part. I have done a couple of crazy things, nothing wrong with it. So noting that single room as the target for numerous sends isn't per se dogmatic, it's 'just sayin''.

The thread is 'verbs are killing my CPU', and there's little than can be done other than freeze, stop doing so much, or maybe think outside the box for a solution. VE Pro is going to improve this situation per se. I use VSL Hybrid Reverb, which has a fairly lite footprint; although this more elaborate FX verbs instance I isolate in order to devote more cores to.

I can't relate to an insert for every inst. that needs reverb; first of all I want a lot of control. I think this isn't enough control for a situation that, well it looks a bit dodgy to more than one of us here. If it's the same reverb, why not do sends. It's hard to feature a better flow having probably more to deal with and stuck with every instance at full level.

pottering wrote:I may be wrong, but I've been told that the reason people always recommend to put reverbs in sends is exactly because they are well-known CPU-killers, hence there aren't any "low-cpu reverbs" really, relative to other VSTs (I think delays are the same). 10+ years old reverb VSTs killing your CPU seems to support that.
If you need to apply the same reverb to several tracks, of course it is much more reasonable (both workflow-wise and CPU-wise) to set up one reverb and send tracks to it.

But if you need really different reverbs, using them via sends will not reduce the number of reverb plugins you have to use, so no saving CPU in this case.

As ppl said above, in the latter case there is not much you can do -- freeze tracks, use less reverb plugins, replace some reverbs with delays (which often are less CPU-heavy), use outboard units, use outboard DSP, or upgrade you system.
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

Like I say, I tune all my reverbs different, and I put one on every track and tune the EQing. Cuts the mud like nothing else, IMO. Most of the time I'm doing work in Oatmeal, I use the built in reverb module. I really wish I could get that in an effect VST, because it's really awesome sounding and very light on the CPU.

steffeeH wrote:For a long time I've had issues with too heavy CPU usage in my projects. I've done everything I can to lighten the pressure, and a lot has improved, but there's still a lot of issues.
And just now I realised that my reverb plugins are causing a lot of heavy CPU usage (not kidding, switching on/off a single unit makes a major difference).
I mostly use the Smart Electronix Ambience, but even the FL Studio stock reverbs causes a lot of extra CPU usage.

Where do I go from here? Are there any CPU-light reverb units that sound as dense and good as Ambience?

I could freeze the reverb of a sound by itself, but that's a lot of extra work as I don't use normal parallel routing for my reverbs.
Oh and no I can't use reverb sends, it simply doesn't work for these tracks (plus then I'd still have CPU issues from only 1 reverb instance added).
Thats the beauty of using separate hardware like UAD or Powercore.
Not only does it free up your CPU, it also gets you some of the best reverbs available.
Expensive, yes but for the professional it is a good way to go.

Best of luck. :)

After reading and contributing to this thread... I would say to the OP - if you're really adamant about your working methods just upgrade your cpu. There's always second hand bargains to be had on ebay.

EDIT: (reading back through again...) - You already have a stonking cpu - what kind of projects are you doing? Is this foley work or multiple songs in the same project? Could you post examples or links to your work?
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

I had similar issues in the past. I am using a laptop with i7 processor and 8Gb RAM but still I had issues, until I decided to buy a Focusrite 2i2. The external audio interface helped a lot to reduce CPU workload. There are several USB devices on the market. E-bay is a good place to find them at humane price levels. Second tip is to check your Audio settings and ASIO options and settings in FL. In FL12 Image line added FL studio ASIO and it seems to work better than the ASIO4all that I used before.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

ATN69 wrote:I had similar issues in the past. I am using a laptop with i7 processor and 8Gb RAM but still I had issues, until I decided to buy a Focusrite 2i2. The external audio interface helped a lot to reduce CPU workload. There are several USB devices on the market. E-bay is a good place to find them at humane price levels. Second tip is to check your Audio settings and ASIO options and settings in FL. In FL12 Image line added FL studio ASIO and it seems to work better than the ASIO4all that I used before.
True, a lot of people were surprised when they updated to a i7 processor or other speedy CPU that they still experienced issues. Reducing the workload with an external audio interface is still currently the best solution.

Best workaround with high CPU usage and reverb, if it fits in with your workflow.
Mixdown as much as you can with minimal plugins utilised and then add reverb to the parts/strips you apply the reverb.

MFXxx wrote:Best workaround with high CPU usage and reverb, if it fits in with your workflow.
Mixdown as much as you can with minimal plugins utilised and then add reverb to the parts/strips you apply the reverb.
As good as an idea as there is.

OR be like me, and CONSTANTLY play the "hey, my computer is better than your computer" game which it won't in 3 months :lol:

It never ends. Even if you have the uber OMG/WOW/f...ing A CPU, it's going to be a problem for one reason or another.

Return to “Effects”