Any Elektron Analog Keys owners here? Some questions

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

A while back I minimized my setup to be all in-the-box because I found that for what I do, VSTs are plenty good enough, and it simplified things considerably. One thing I didn’t anticipate though is how much I would eventually miss having a hardware device to play on that didn’t require a computer.

So I’m thinking of adding a device that I hope will be fun and inspiring to work with. One option I’m considering is the Elektron Analog Keys.

Are there any owners of the device here? If you don’t mind I’d like to ask a few questions. Unfortunately there is no where for me to demo it locally.

Joystick. I’m not a big fan of pitch/modwheel joysticks on keyboards because I generally end up having problems with them eventually. My current controller keyboard is a Novation Remote SL 49 MkII and I'm not crazy about the joystick. How has the joystick fared on your Analog Keys over time? Has it ever developed a problem where it doesn’t reset pitch properly?

Key feel. When pressing down on the keys for aftertouch, do they flex and bend a lot? I used to have an Arturia Analog Lab keyboard and the aftertouch itself felt nice, but the keys flexed/bent way too much when using it. Does the key response map closely to any one of these: Novation Remote SL 49 MkII, Access Virus Polar, M-Audio Axiom, Akai MPK, Arturia Analog Lab? That would help me narrow down the kind of feel I can expect since I’ve used all of those.

Exposed keys: Has the fact that the underside of the keys are exposed ever caused an issue for you? In my setup the keyboard would get moved to and from my desk quite frequently.

Overbridge. Does Overbridge work well for you? Any "gotchas" regarding it?

Controller mode: I read the keyboard can be put into MIDI controller mode. How well does this mode work for you?

Screen: Can the screen be seen well enough when sat somewhat back from the keyboard, and looking down at it at an angle, or does it really prefer being seen from directly above?

Sub-oscillator: Does the fact that the Sub oscillator does not have a level control bother you in practice?

Knobs: I read that it can be difficult to do filter sweeps with the knobs because the resolution is so fine, and that when you push the encoder in for coarser action it can become steppy. If you map the filter to a knob on the performance page, does it then allow you to do easier sweeps, and are they smooth?

General: Is there anything you wish you knew before buying? If in the U.S.: Which dealer did you buy from and were you happy with the service?

Thanks.

Joystick:

No problems with it... but I have only had it for a year and I have a soft touch (though I use it a lot)

Key Feel:

Aftertouch is a bit too heavy for my taste. You have to press fairly hard to activate it. Nice in that you don't accidentally do so, but it is hard to play fast and use AT. The keys feel good, no flex. Elektron makes well built machines (relatively speaking in the disposable age of course)

Exposed Keys:

I'm careful. Someone makes a piece you can buy to put there.

Overbridge:

I'm not really using it yet. Been waiting for it to mature a bit, bugs get fixed etc

Controller Mode:

This is cool because there is a dedicated button just above the joystick for it. The octave buttons and the hold button are useful. I wish it had sustain and expression pedal jacks. I have not tried to map any other controls to see what would work. I just use it for note playing.

Screen:

I have to lean forward a bit to read the screen. I wish the screen was bigger and tilted. At first it annoyed me. However, I need it a lot less than at first since I know what does what now. I do remember being annoyed with it in a good while now.

Sub-Osc:

It bothers me a smidge that there is no gain control. This is something that could potentially be updated... at least to 25, 50 and 100%. But I would not buy expecting that. The synth engine is quite flexible so I can easily live with it as is.

Knobs:

I find it works fine for me to do a filter sweep... However, I have agile fingers so someone else might have trouble. It needs a smooth technique to roll across the knob and not hit the adjacent knob. You could also map filter cutoff to modwheel.

General:

I purchased from Control Voltage in Portland OR. They are super helpful and let me sit in there playing for as many hours as I wanted. No pressure but always ready to answer questions and they are knowledgable. In general, and I knew this before purchasing, preset and pattern management is just odd on Elektron boxes. It takes a bit of getting used to and is never what I would call elegant. Sound wise the instrument is lovely and the sequencer is superb.

I would certainly recommend the Analog Keys. There is nothing else like it.

wow what great answers! Thanks from me also!

actually i will add one if i may - does it have any on board sounds at all or is just a program as you go affair?

pedx1ng wrote:Hi all,
G'day.
pedx1ng wrote:Joystick.
Joystick is good. The thing I like about it is that it responds well to a quite delicate touch and is predictable This is not your average Novation type joystick. Not your average Novation type build. Svedish, y'know. Think Volvo, snow tires, triple glazing, etc. Pressing the joystick does something apart from going "click". What, I know not. Yet.
pedx1ng wrote:Key feel.
As the pxindy commented aftertouch is a tad heavy, firm. I like the factory setting. AT and velocity can be tweaked. As yet I remain untweaked so I don't know what effect tweaking will have. Keys are pretty non-bendy. A mite, perhaps, never really thought about it.
pedx1ng wrote:Exposed keys:

Zero issues with the keys, mine has not been moved much since arrival. If I do I just take care like with any piece of gear.
pedx1ng wrote:Overbridge.
Works well with Live, the only DAW supported officially at the moment by the current release. The current beta does support other DAW's. I prefer to use the individual outs into a mixer and then on to DAW.
pedx1ng wrote:Controller mode:
Just works as it's supposed to work. Hit a button near the joystick and you're off do to whatever you want with whatever you want, wherever it might be.
pedx1ng wrote:Screen:
The little screen is no problem for me. After a bit I learnt where everything is pretty much. However, with the advent of Overbridge I now have a little wimpo screen and a big whopper screen on a separate laptop. Audio goes to desktop synced DAW, laptop does Overbridge, just for sample & sound management and the big juicy whoppa display. Two screens better than one.
pedx1ng wrote:Sub-oscillator:
Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I work with what I am given and sweat not a jot the small stuff. If they change it I'll use it.
pedx1ng wrote:Knobs:
I have small hands and the knobs work well for me for most things. If I had to do an, ahem, "filter sweep", heaven forbid, I would use the p-locks, the joyschtick or lash up the ribbon control from my Push for the purpose, or anything else suitable I got lying around. Or send control from DAW.
pedx1ng wrote:General:
This is a very bad bit of kit, especially since I went and got a Rytm to go with it. Dwums, synffs, lights, action. However, I do not recommend getting it. There's far to many folks jumping on the bandwagon. Like me. It is a beast, sound module, seq workstation, great keybed for anything, sends CV for whatever. Dunno what I'm going to do with all the software synths I've collected. It occured to me that the sounds I come up with these Elektron products doesn't need that much extra proccessing, it all seems to gel together quite nicely. FX are pretty nifty.

Theo, the Keys comes loaded with 2 X 255 factory sounds. Maybe more, as I can't remember exactly what it came with. Deffo, 2 X 255, at least. Total capacity is 16 banks X 255 sounds. Each project can have 128 sounds. All sounds live on +Drive. There's a bunch of Free Sound Banks available on the Lecky website, http://eu.elektron.se/accessories/ Analog Four sounds can be used with Analog Keys.

beauchamp

WOW, that;s a LOT of sounds! I found out waldorf pulse 2 can do 8 voices if using the same oscillator for all, or 4 if using 2, or mono if using (i think three?).

But the elektron has true integration, sounds fantastic from the youtube vids i found, and has SO many patches - it's the one!

There's another crossed off the list! the analog is chosen!

Thanks for the replies guys.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”