soundtoys V5

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

aMUSEd wrote: No it works in Logic 9 too as an alternative Time machine option, but I assumed it was no longer working in LPX anyway and it does appear no longer part of the Soundtoys bundle. Tbh I never used it - couldnt see any benefits over Logic's own time stretch.
ok, thanks. You were right bluzcat, it only existed for me as a Digidesign plugin. I never used it before.

Oh according to this it should work in LPX so I don't know why they have removed authorisation for it

http://support.soundtoys.com/customer/p ... ith-speed-
Logic 8, 9 & X: Speed is listed as an algorithm in the Time and Pitch Machine. Instructions on how to use Speed in Logic can be found here.

OK here's the latest:

http://support.soundtoys.com/customer/e ... grade-info
Speed:
Speed will not be included in Soundtoys 5. If you still need access to Speed, please contact support to get an older authorization/installer for the last available version of that plug-in.
So I suppose the question is, is it worth bothering with?

thanks aMUSEd! Probably not worth it since its included in Pitch and Time Machine already. Thanks for the links!

Well, this is bloody annoying. I cant save presets at all. Doesnt matter what host Im running under, or which plugin it is, I get this popup, and a zero-length .toy file.
cantsave.JPG
Win7 x64 version.

WTF?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Strange, I have already saved quite a few. Maybe this is a location/permissions thing? Is the folder set to read only?

aMUSEd wrote:Strange, I have already saved quite a few. Maybe this is a location/permissions thing? Is the folder set to read only?
Are you not on a Mac?

Anyways, its the same folder tree as the factory presets are stored ie

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Soundtoys\Soundtoys 5\<plugin>\User

And even though there was full access for Authenticated Users, Ive also gone in and set Full Control access for my actual user account.
Plus, if I didnt have write permission, I doubt the zero-length file would exist.

So Ive now set the permissions for

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Soundtoys\Soundtoys 5\* into Full Control for Everyone. All permissions inheritable downwards, same as before. That changed nothing either.

So following that, I tried to find out what was going on with SysInternals Process Monitor. And I can see what's supposed to be happening, but cant identify what's not working...]

(Maybe the dude from soundtoys can discern something from this)

I can see the plugin creating a 64Kb file named something like NEWxxxx.tmp of the right size in my U:\AppData\Local\Temp (which is probably right because that's what my %APPDATA%\Local\Temp location) x

Then it seems to try to write that to the preset folder in

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Soundtoys\Soundtoys 5\<plugin>\User

but with a filename like

<presetname>.toy~xxxxxxxxx.TMP

Then finally it tries to rename that to

<presetname>.toy

According to Process Monitor all these operations are flagged 'SUCCESS' so I cant see what's failing, but slightly further on I can see a write to

C:\ProgramData\SoundToysProblem_log.txt

which basically adds something like
>>>2015/10/10 18:32:13.245000 10771 VST 64 bit EffectRack ALERT
SoundToys EffectRack, Version 5.0.1
Problem writing preset
to the logfile.

If I actually go and copy one of the NEWxxxx.tmp files from %APPDATA%\Local\Temp into the right location, and rename it to <something>.toy, then it would appear to actually load.

So either the copy or the rename isnt working. However, as I say, Process Monitor isnt reporting any file operations as failing....

whyterabbyt wrote:Well, this is bloody annoying. I cant save presets at all. Doesnt matter what host Im running under, or which plugin it is, I get this popup, and a zero-length .toy file.
cantsave.JPG
Win7 x64 version.

WTF?
Great in terms of you are not alone.

I've been having the exact same issue since version 4. Repeated in version 5. I actually deinstalled all soundtoys, cleaned registry just in case and reinstalled soundtoys bundle. On the reinstall everything was installed the default locations.
I am finding when setting the fodler properties to Read Only and apply, after pressing ok and reopening the folder properties, its ticked again so I am going to have to resolve this. But it is ONLY SOUNDTOYS that this causes an issue with.

Soundtoys are the only plugins out of a hell of a lot that have this issue. I reported it to Soundtoys with V4 with no solution or follow up. I have submitted the same bug with version 5 and again no respones (but I appreciate they are overwhelmed at this time).
Workaround in cubase is to save as vstpreset which isnt ideal but works.

Windows8Prox64. Cubase8.0.3x64.

Runing Cubase and Installed Soundtoys with full admin rights.

MFXxx wrote:I've been having the exact same issue since version 4.
Reading this, it struck me that I'd never bothered saving presets for earlier versions of the individual plugins; mostly relied on host saving its state in a project.
So, since I still have separate V4 licenses for Radiator and Devil-Loc I swapped the V4 versions back into my plugin folder, and lo and behold the same thing happens with them. Gotta assume that it'd been the case for all the other V4 stuff, just that I hadnt noticed.
Bidule, Tracktion, Live, running the host as Administrator or not, doesnt seem to make a difference

whyterabbyt wrote:
MFXxx wrote:I've been having the exact same issue since version 4.
Reading this, it struck me that I'd never bothered saving presets for earlier versions of the individual plugins; mostly relied on host saving its state in a project.
So, since I still have separate V4 licenses for Radiator and Devil-Loc I swapped the V4 versions back into my plugin folder, and lo and behold the same thing happens with them. Gotta assume that it'd been the case for all the other V4 stuff, just that I hadnt noticed.
Bidule, Tracktion, Live, running the host as Administrator or not, doesnt seem to make a difference
I've been trying various remedies to no avail. I have come to the conclusion that there has to be something in the Soundtoys coding that is conflicting with certain windows x64 configurations.

I noticed when trying to remove the read only attributes and after applying. Reopening the folder the atribute box for read only is ticked again. So I then went down the following route (including some DWORD registry edits which still failed).
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/326549

I dont know if its got anything to do with the presets being saved in the PublicDocuments folder, however Synthmaster plugin and Native Instruments are alway in this fodler saving with out any issues.

Can ask Whyte have you installed to the root default folder on the OS drive or are they saved on a secondary drive or using hardlink shortcuts. I was but have removed any releveance of secondary drive presets and hardlinks to any soundtoys directories.

It HAS to be a soundtoys issue Im afraid.

MFXxx wrote:I've been trying various remedies to no avail. I have come to the conclusion that there has to be something in the Soundtoys coding that is conflicting with certain windows x64 configurations.
Reckon so.
I dont know if its got anything to do with the presets being saved in the PublicDocuments folder, however Synthmaster plugin and Native Instruments are alway in this fodler saving with out any issues.
On my system, there seems to be a difference between V4 and V5 though.
V5 they're in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Soundtoys\Soundtoys 5\<plugin>

V4 they seem to be in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SoundToys\<plugin>
and
C:\Program Files\Common Files\SoundToys\<plugin>
Can ask Whyte have you installed to the root default folder on the OS drive or are they saved on a secondary drive or using hardlink shortcuts. I was but have removed any releveance of secondary drive presets and hardlinks to any soundtoys directories.
The plugins are on a different drive from the OS. Still using the default location for presets, as above. If I can get this fixed, I'll be relocating them via junction points, though.

FWIW, if anyone installed any of the 'Preset Expanders' that SoundToys have given away(*) at various points in time, it would appear that these have -not- been rolled into V5.

Testing a couple, they do seem to load into V5, though, but you'll have to identify them and move them manually.

On Windows you want to be checking the per-plugin folders at

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SoundToys\<plugin>
and
C:\Program Files\Common Files\SoundToys\<plugin>

and copying stuff into the relevant folders at

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Soundtoys\Soundtoys 5\<plugin>

No idea where they are on OSX, Im afraid.

(*) Unfortunately the old links are dead, so they no longer seem to be available.

i had this with v4 and didnt try v5 yet, i guess it's like crappy Spectrasonics coding as well, maybe u are from europe?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I have all the original v4 expander installers on drive, is it permissable to upload them here or not?

I truely believe the problem to saving presets is easily resolvable by Soundtoys allowing a custom install location for them.

Edit

For some reason after a clean reinstall the Sountoys installer is automatically installing the presets to
c:\User\Public\Documents\Soundtoys\Soundtoys5

however when launching the sountoys plugins they are not seeing the presets at the default location, so in turn do not load.

The workaround was to move from
c:\User\Public\Documents\Soundtoys\Soundtoys5
and create a folder
e:\User\Public\Documents\Soundtoys\Soundtoys5
E Drive is the secondary drive where I save presets in case of OS crash, reinstall and easy backup.
For some reason I am unable to find any method (searched registry) to change the now defaulted preset location path back to c:\User\Public\Documents\Soundtoys\Soundtoys5.

So I now have the plugins working an the presets, including the v4 expansion presets loading and working in STs5.

HOWEVER STILL UNABLE TO SAVE ANY PRESETS IN THE NATIVE *.toy format only in Cubases vstpreset system.

I imagine the issue is caused by one of two things one which I suspect Whyte has in common with myself (I may be wrong so apologies in advance Whyte). Hardlink usage or original location of the public documents folder was originally on the e drive instead of c drive.

I stand by the fact that it would be helpful if Soundtoys would allow manual location selection of the installers location.

I am coming to the conclusion that if ST can not help with a fix, then a fresh install will be required :(

Return to “Effects”