Microsoft SurfaceBook (2!)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SLiC wrote:BitWig everywhere! I wonder if it will make the TV ad's with BitWig Studio!
In case it does, here's hoping that there is no Team AiR logo in there :P :D

So do you guys think this is going to be good enough for audio? If I'm paying 3 grand I would love for it to just handle anything I throw at it but that's not really gonna be the case here it seems.

Good enough, yes, but you'll probably find yourself feeling limited. That is IF it truly is only a dual core, which is pathetic for that price, IMO.

Uncle E wrote:Good enough, yes, but you'll probably find yourself feeling limited. That is IF it truly is only a dual core, which is pathetic for that price, IMO.
It is. Its the i-7 6600U and it benchmarks at like a 4700...

Uncle E wrote:Good enough, yes, but you'll probably find yourself feeling limited. That is IF it truly is only a dual core, which is pathetic for that price, IMO.
Portability comes at a price...

Excuse the n00b question, but does it even matter much whether it's a dual core or not? I always thought the number of cores is not always an indicator for the performance, but other things get into play too. As far as i read the CPU in question is considered as "fast enough for most tasks". Of course, i don't know what the typical usage for audio would be. It surely will be good enough to use Reason with as many tracks as you can imagine...

chk071 wrote:Excuse the n00b question, but does it even matter much whether it's a dual core or not? I always thought the number of cores is not always an indicator for the performance, but other things get into play too. As far as i read the CPU in question is considered as "fast enough for most tasks". Of course, i don't know what the typical usage for audio would be. It surely will be good enough to use Reason with as many tracks as you can imagine...
Hmm it does kinda matter but it's possible that this CPU may be good enough. I use an i-7 3820 on my desktop with a few cpu intensive synths so I just want to be sure it's going to be able to handle it all like this can.

ckam03 wrote:It is. Its the i-7 6600U and it benchmarks at like a 4700...
My 2013 MacBook Air's i7-4650U benchmarks at 4118. I'm constantly having to freeze virtual instruments and I certainly wouldn't be able to do full mixes with this computer if I didn't have a UAD-2.

Uncle E wrote:My 2013 MacBook Air's i7-4650U benchmarks at 4118.
How much RAM does that have?

Uncle E wrote:
ckam03 wrote:It is. Its the i-7 6600U and it benchmarks at like a 4700...
My 2013 MacBook Air's i7-4650U benchmarks at 4118. I'm constantly having to freeze virtual instruments and I certainly wouldn't be able to do full mixes with this computer if I didn't have a UAD-2.
Interesting. Yeah, I use Omnisphere 2, Mpowersynth and Diversion which are all pretty CPU intensive. Probably would be screwed if I bought this then. It looks so good though.......

Numanoid wrote:
Uncle E wrote:My 2013 MacBook Air's i7-4650U benchmarks at 4118.
How much RAM does that have?
8GB

Not bad.

My own experience with MacBook Air is via a colleauge, she got the OSX equivalent of the "bluescreen of death", HDD failure or whatever it was...

I quite like it (this is actually my second Air) and it holds up well against a 13" MacBook Pro. A souped up 15" MacBook Pro is much more powerful than either of them. Also, my i7 Air is much better than my i5 Air.

Numanoid wrote:Not bad.

My own experience with MacBook Air is via a colleauge, she got the OSX equivalent of the "bluescreen of death", HDD failure or whatever it was...
But I thought Macs didn't do that? They aren't supposed to break like Windows!

ckam03 wrote:They aren't supposed to break like Windows!
They aren't supposed to get viruses either.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”