Any silentway users? Trying to set up a poly voice and can't get it to work, routing limitation?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm currently demoing bitwig and testing it with silentway to be sure I can get it to do what I need it to before buying it.

I had no problem getting a single voice silentway setup working but running into issues with poly routing.

I'm following the ableton poly setup video to try to set it up like that. I'm running into issues with the routing- on the ableton video the audio output for the master track is set to "sends only". There is no option I see for that in bitwig and I'm not sure what would be equivalent.

this is the ableton setup guide which I've done in the past: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQDkJTXTz6k

This is how I have it setup now:

I

I've tried various options and no luck

I can't get any of the slave voices to receive any input or audio. I have the master voice to receive audio from the external input, and have an instrument track sending MIDI to the master voice channel.

Maybe related to this: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=446971

I route most of my dc needs via hardware fx devices, could be an an option here too.

so I tried routing though the audio receiver tool and I seem to be able to get audio on the proper tracks

at least now I can calibrate each voice and have silentway receive audio from the master voice track

however I can't get any of those voices to respond to note input. only the master voice controller responds. I can see audio coming in from the master track to the individual voices via the vu meter after the audio receiver tool but those voices still aren't playing notes

xonetacular wrote:so I tried routing though the audio receiver tool and I seem to be able to get audio on the proper tracks

at least now I can calibrate each voice and have silentway receive audio from the master voice track

however I can't get any of those voices to respond to note input. only the master voice controller responds. I can see audio coming in from the master track to the individual voices via the vu meter after the audio receiver tool but those voices still aren't playing notes

I'm using the ES-3, ES-5 and ES-6. I have everything routed and working properly, and IIRC I needed to use both audio and note routers to distribute signal and midi properly.

I'll load up my template and post some screenshots when I get back into the studio later today.

Try setting plugin management to 'bit-bridge only'. It could be the sandboxing preventing the link between the instances.

hmm still nothing

the instances shouldn't need to link with each other I don't think anyway. the voice instances should respond to the audio signal outputted by the master track and fed into each voice instance

any other ideas? looks like I might have to stick with ableton.

Did you try the note receivers adam mentioned?

Else contact the ES suppert, they´ve been really helpful for me.

adamlwatson wrote:
I'm using the ES-3, ES-5 and ES-6. I have everything routed and working properly, and IIRC I needed to use both audio and note routers to distribute signal and midi properly.

I'll load up my template and post some screenshots when I get back into the studio later today.
Yes please post screens! you got poly working?

I remember I had tried note receivers the other day but it didn't work right since each poly voice just wanted to play the same note. the individual voices need to receive their own notes from the master SW plugin.

and yes I also posted this on the SW forums but hadn't heard anything from him yet,

xonetacular wrote:
adamlwatson wrote:

Yes please post screens! you got poly working?

I remember I had tried note receivers the other day but it didn't work right since each poly voice just wanted to play the same note. the individual voices need to receive their own notes from the master SW plugin.

and yes I also posted this on the SW forums but hadn't heard anything from him yet,
Yes, I have poly working. First, make sure you have your Output matrix set up properly for each of the SW Voice Controller plugs you are using. In the screenshot below, you'll see the SW VC setup I'm using for the track labelled "DPO Voice 1". I have set output 1 to emit the Pitch signal, and output 2 emitting Gate signal.

In the plugin container, I've created 2 channels in the multi-out chain accordingly. See screenshot 1 for a visual.

Then, I've created tracks for each of the signal outputs (DPO 1 Pitch, DPO 1 Gate) and placed Audio Receiver objects on each of them to bring in the signal to the tracks. I have the track outputs set to None, since I'll be further routing these signals using additional Audio Receiver objects. This is to make it simpler to assign the audio to other tracks, since otherwise all you'll see in the list of sources is "1(1)" and "2(2)" instead of whatever the audio tracks are named. See screenshot 2 for a visual of this.

Finally, in order to route my signals properly to the ES-5 and other destinations, I use Audio Receivers. See screenshot 3 for a visual of this. Also, I'm using Note Receivers to trigger multiple Voice Controllers for polyphony. You can route whatever MIDI source you like to multiple SW Voice Controller instances for the polyphony you desire. If you want to use a single SW Voice Controller instance, just make sure you set up your output matrix accordingly for outputs 3-6, and assign more outputs in the multi-out chain.

Hope this helps,
Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hmm thank you I will look into it more later when I'm home.

Are any of those screens for a polyphonic setup? It looks like you are showing separate mono voices which I have no issue with (says poly is off on the silentway screen). by polyphonic I mean 3-4 voices linked together for playing chords like a normal poly synth.

xonetacular wrote:hmm thank you I will look into it more later when I'm home.

Are any of those screens for a polyphonic setup? It looks like you are showing separate mono voices which I have no issue with (says poly is off on the silentway screen).
Yes, the setup is polyphonic, though I'm using multiple Voice Controller instances instead of triggering everything through a single instance. It should work either way as long as you have your output matrix configured properly.

How are you getting notes to each voice? are you sequencing each voice separately?

Have you been able to get it to work by setting it up with a master silentway voice and multiple salve voices? that's what I'm trying to do and have no luck with. I should be able to play chords through a keyboard controller which I couldn't do the way you have it set up.

I could sequence notes separately for multiple separate voices easily but that isn't playable live.

xonetacular wrote:How are you getting notes to each voice? are you sequencing each voice separately?
In this case, I have an instance of Numerology (a step sequencer plugin) on a separate track, and I've set up Note Receiver objects on each of the Voice Controller tracks to receive the incoming midi.

You should be able to do the same with any midi input. Just route the midi to each instance you want a voice using Note Receivers.

adamlwatson wrote:
xonetacular wrote:How are you getting notes to each voice? are you sequencing each voice separately?
You should be able to do the same with any midi input. Just route the midi to each instance you want a voice using Note Receivers.

How do you get that to work correctly for polyphony? I had tried that before and each voice tries to play the same note. Lets say you play only one note for a 3 voice setup, all three voices ends up playing the same note vs only one of them playing the note. And if you try to play a chord it doesn't distribute each note to a separate voice correctly.

That's why I would like to set it up like the poly guide for the ableton video I linked above. I would be really curious if anyone could get that to work.

Return to “Bitwig”