New 88-Key Komplete Kontrol S-Series Keyboard & NKS Plugin Format

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And I would NI over Akai or Arturia, still a shame Roland or Kawai don't make weighted kb with AT.
dedication to flying

BBFG# wrote:
BERFAB wrote:I'm very interested in the new S-88.
A review I just read of the new NI S-88 said that you can get just an 88 weighted key controller for a fraction of the price, but I have no clue as to what he's talking about. Under $1,000 sounds like a decent pricepoint to me for this, but I'd like to know if there are better, cheaper options.
-B
Been off researching the comparable ones a little closer.
Because my requirements include aftertouch...
Only three (including the NI S88) seem to come up through the filters.

Arturia KeyLab 88__________MSRP: $ 999.00 Adprice: $799.00 (listed with just hammer action)
Akai MPK88________________MRSP: $1499.00 Adprice: $799.00
Native Instruments S 88_____MRSP:$ 999.00 Adprice: TBA

So given just that, its price is in keeping with available 88key controllers w/aftertouch.
Looking better all the time. Thanks for doing the research.

Believe it or not, my KS-32 has aftertouch. I love that, but I also know not many others do.

Why did they discontinue the Keystation Pro 88? Sounds like they moved a whole mess of them when they were in production.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

I've been looking at this more and more as something I think I really want to get to upgrade my rig.

The only question I have is the use of "strips" in place of the mod wheels. These are a big part of my performance for leads, and I'm concerned that this might be a problem for me.

Can anyone comment on how it is to use these things?

Thanks
-B
Berfab

the kontrol s88 is interesting, but i made my decision, also seeking a controller with 88 hammer and aftertouch: studiologic sl88
- 3 sensors per key
- ivory touch
- graduaded keybed with wooden keys (tp40wood) which might be their best keybed, and it has also fast repetition for non-piano soloing ;-)
- every single key can be fine-tuned! that s great when you work with a favourite plug-in which has some samples being a little bit too loud/low at one key, or also to get the velocity from the white keys and the black keys into the perfect balance.

it s about 950 euro here in middle europe, and should be in stores the next few weeks.

i played the studiologic numa concert which has the same keybed, and i loved it!

BERFAB wrote:I've been looking at this more and more as something I think I really want to get to upgrade my rig.

The only question I have is the use of "strips" in place of the mod wheels. These are a big part of my performance for leads, and I'm concerned that this might be a problem for me.

Thanks
-B
As a secondary controller, touch strips are great, but not primary, especially not when they are perpendicular to the keybed - absolutely a stupid way to orient them. Designed by engineers, not musicians.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

Gonga wrote:
BERFAB wrote:I've been looking at this more and more as something I think I really want to get to upgrade my rig.

Thanks
-B
As a secondary controller, touch strips are great, but not primary, especially not when they are perpendicular to the keybed - absolutely a stupid way to orient them. Designed by engineers, not musicians.
That was my suspicion. I actually didn't think that strips were used much anymore other than on Keytars.

@ Hansson - Does studiologic sl88 have aftertouch?

-B
Berfab

That studiologic sl88 looks real promising for the price.

On specs alone, it seems to be comparable to the studiologic numa nero. Puzzling, the usa street price of sl88 about US$ 900, and the numa nero around US$ 1600, just barely cheaper than kawai pc1.

Wonder what gets trimmed for the price diff? On casual examination, perhaps the same action and very similar features between sl88 and numa nero.

One thing, the numa nero has a passably flat top for easy keyboard stacking, but the sl88 has that one lonely knob smack dab in the center of the top-- Sticking out of a pure flat top like an inflamed pimple on a fashion model's forehead.

I couldn't get the sl88 for that reason alone regardless if it was fabulous and a bargain, because it wouldn't be ergonomic for stacking a keyboard on top.

Why do they do that? Duh, it could as easily have been a slightly recessed left side control like the numa nero. Maybe it is an evil devious plot to make people pay an extra $700 just to get a dang flat top? :)

yes, the sl88 has (monophonic) aftertouch.

also wondering why they put the display and knob in the middle. it s the only thing i hate at that controller.

but i think, as a workaround, i could use 2 pieces of wood or something with a height of 2cm or so, to be able to place a 61-controller on the sl88.
those 2cm of more distance between the upper and lower keyboard would be acceptable for me. and i think i will not have to use that display and knob while performing.

i even thought to maybe replace the frontplate and create a new one (made of alu, wood, plastic...) to get the display and knob to the left side.

BERFAB wrote:
Gonga wrote:

Thanks
-B
That was my suspicion. I actually didn't think that strips were used much anymore other than on Keytars.

@ Hansson - Does studiologic sl88 have aftertouch?

-B
And the way they're implemented on "keytars" makes the left-hand unavailable to the keyboard - another stupid!
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

But to me NI 88 controller becomes the option no 1, it's the only one with AT from a reliable company. AKAI and Arturia are not trustworthy for such an expensive controller.

Roland A88 is great and I like it's key action much more than Fartar KBs but lacks AT and even some controls.
dedication to flying

aMUSEd wrote:
Keith99 wrote:watching the promotional video is like a flash-back to when they sold Kore, the same claims about multiple synths and tagging etc. Its almost like they are reinventing Kore attached to keyboards. Thing is I was caught out when they stopped Kore so I am very wary of buying more HW from them
It's got a long way to go before it gets close to Kore but at least it's a step in the right direction.
:shrug: I'm not sure. From what I can tell it puts the responsibility of integration of third party plug ins to the third party developers and who knows how well they jump through that hoop.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Keith99 wrote:watching the promotional video is like a flash-back to when they sold Kore, the same claims about multiple synths and tagging etc. Its almost like they are reinventing Kore attached to keyboards. Thing is I was caught out when they stopped Kore so I am very wary of buying more HW from them
It's got a long way to go before it gets close to Kore but at least it's a step in the right direction.
:shrug: I'm not sure. From what I can tell it puts the responsibility of integration of third party plug ins to the third party developers and who knows how well they jump through that hoop.
Sure - it's just a step in the right direction in that at least it will host plugins now. Although not layered or effects yet (but then neither does Advance yet either). Plus even if developers don't convert their presets users would still be able to at least map and control the plugins. tbh I'm not sure I would want say the whole database of Omnisphere incorporated into the Kontrol one anyway - Omnisphere already has a (more) capable browser, but if I had one of the KK keyboards I would certainly want to be able to control Omnisphere with it - now I could. Personally I am more excited about the companies on board that don't have particularly good preset browsers, that might make some things more manageable.

rod_zero wrote:But to me NI 88 controller becomes the option no 1, it's the only one with AT from a reliable company. AKAI and Arturia are not trustworthy for such an expensive controller.

Roland A88 is great and I like it's key action much more than Fartar KBs but lacks AT and even some controls.

Is Akai making it's own keybed? NI farms it out to Fatar which does have a great rep (I play a 76 weight Fatar right now). The Akai Professional MPK88 checks all the boxes for me: weighted/aftertouch/mod+portamento wheels. Also, $799 retail.

Is anyone using this? How does it stack up?
Berfab

Akai also uses Fatar kb, as well as arturia. But those two models have build quality issues and neither akai or arturia are great at support. I expect NI support to be better than Akai or arturia.

Fatar has great synth action kbs, and their best wighted kbs are also good. But IMHO they are behind Roland, Yamaha, Casio and Kawai when it comes to weighted kb.
dedication to flying

Yes it would be interesting to know how many companies make their own electronic keyboard mechanisms.

Maybe the surest bets would be ac piano manufacturers, but maybe not even an ac piano manufacturer would care to maintain an electronic keyboard assembly line if they can get the keyboards cheaper less hassle from an oem?

Back in the day, lots of different manufacturers of organs and synths used pratt-reed keyboards. Which were not especially reliable or tough really. Just an example. I think panasonic had a hand in keyboard manufacturing at one time, dunno if they still do it. May be remembering wrong but thought my memorymoog had a panasonic keyboard.

Fatar has made some nice keyboard mechanisms over the years. Maybe if a meteor hits the fatar factory, then virtually all music keyboard manufacturing worldwide would grind to a halt?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”