Chuggy palm mutes not sounding heavy

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everyone!
I've been playing with the program for the last 3 days and I'm getting better and programming things as time goes by... However I am having a consistent issue that I think may be a bug on my end. I haven't been able to make palm muted chuggy sounds sound effective. They either sound very thin, or kinda sloppy/not muted enough. I am aware of the velocity controls effecting each sample, but I think I'm getting an issue with the "full choke" sounds replacing my palm mutes. If I use ranges 1-20 I get a thin sounding PM. If I use 30-48, they sound like they're hardly even muted at all. The issue that I'm facing has to do with ranges 21-29, they are definitely not making palm mute sounds in that range.
Also, if I try and use power chord mutes on the low G string, I don't get mutes at all, just chokes. Some of the higher strings sound fine, others I still get just a choke sound. I can send a video or some audio samples if necessary. Hopefully someone has a workaround!
I'm using Logic 10.2 and I also use this in Ableton Live 9 (both Mac.)

Is this with Shreddage 2, or IBZ? There are a lot of palm mute layers per note, each with their own character and split based on velocity range. For example if mutes are set to 1-79, then each of the 5 layers will be divided evenly within that range (there are more layers on lower strings / lower ranges).

One way of identifying which palm mute sound you prefer is by going to the advanced tab and tweaking the palm mute layer options. You can set lowest/highest to the same thing so that you're only using one layer at a time. I usually use the lowest layers myself in all my demos.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Thanks for the reply Zircon, this is in Shreddage 2 IBZ. I understand how the velocities are split up, I've been playing with them. The issue is that I can tell that PMs are not being triggered in the specified range (ranges 21-29) and instead, I'm getting that full choke sound. I get either very light/thin mute, a full choke sound, or a semi-muted sound. The sweet spot for me would be in between the light/thin sound and the semi muted sound but unfortunately those sounds are not triggering right now. I kept the default velocity settings so I don't understand why it's happening. Are you saying that if I expand my velocity range, that I should get more samples?

As far as the power chord mutes, I can't seem to get any to happen consistently on the low G string. I've programmed a riff like this:
Single note/pull of -> palm mutes -> chords -> PM -> chords

So when I keep this riff looped, sometimes I am getting chokes instead of PMs. I made sure that I programmed it in a way so that it would trigger everything as it should (power chords, mutes, etc.) I know this is probably annoying to troubleshoot with me but I really want to get the best out of this program and I feel like it's buggy with my system. Again I'm running everything on Mac, Yosemite (10.10.5) and I get this issue consistently with Logic 10.2.0 and Ableton 9...

You shouldn't be getting full chokes at all - are you sure that's what you're hearing? Full chokes by default are mapped to the F below the lowest playable G. You can use that as a basis of comparison.

If you mute range is only 20-29 total then you are going to have a very hard time triggering the exact layer of mute you want. I find that having an expanded range is way easier for sequencing AND performance purposes.

Is it possible you're hearing either down or upstroke mutes as a 'choke' instead? Can you provide an audio example of what you mean?

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

I think I'm not explaining this right, what I meant was I have PMs partially available in the Velocity range of 1-49 (default range from when I bought it.) The range where I'm hearing chokes instead is in 20-28 range. I checked using the F note, and I am pretty sure I'm hearing chokes at low velocity (in the 1-10 range of chokes). If I am in the range of 1-19, it's a very thin muted sound (sounds right), range 20-28 sounds like a choke (sounds like it's not supposed to do this), rage 30-39 sounds like a medium amount of muting (sounds right), then 40-49 is hardly any muting at all (also sounds right.) Even the areas that sound right, there are some inconsistencies where I notice some notes don't really get muted which you should be able to notice in the samples.
I can work with the other velocities to get the sounds I want somewhat, but what I end up having to do is make extra tracks (multiple) with lower velocities, stacking them with other amp settings/EQ/compression. I feel like the range I need for the sounds I'm looking for are most likely in the 20-28 range but I'm not getting those samples.

What I did in these samples was use the same riff played all the way through 3 times, but change the palm mute velocities on each take (4 takes total.) The first sample I'm using velocity range 1-19, 2nd sample I'm using range 20-28, 3rd sample range 29-39, 4th sample is 40-49.
https://soundcloud.com/godeep-922749098 ... es/s-D3ZCU

Ah ok. It's not that those are full chokes... that's just how the performer played the mutes at that level. Super super tight. They're not really meant to be played that slowly - maybe at double the tempo! I debated whether it made more sense to put those at the lowest level, switching with the ones that are currently at the lowest, but beta testers seemed to like it this way.

Return to “Impact Soundworks”