OSC#80 - Jo must be over the moon!

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oh, you guys aren't fair to poor sl23, haha! :scared: :lol: ...all excellent tracks from skilled and confident musicians.

@sl23 ...I think, what you have to figure out is how to be humble and in this case I don't mean for the sake of others, but your own. Just don't expect so much and rather enjoy the experiment. Without a shadow of a doubt, your worries come from being judged, because you tend to judge without holding back. The world is much less terrifying, believe me! It's all fun and that's where the good stuff comes from. Those, who don't have fun with it, can't ever reach excellence.
The only thing that ain't ever my cup of tea is when I can hear the lack of joy that went into a song. ;)

Humility is something I've always tried to practise, despite it rarely being reciprocated or respected.

Back on topic... My personal opinion and experience tells me that only the last track would not fit on a chillout album. Even then it's still borderline.

Back on topic...the majority of the tracks feature the fantastic quality of MUX even from first time users. ;)

Yeah and it's all good stuff, I was only curious why all the tracks seem to fit into such a small bandwidth of genres. Not criticising was just a question ;-)

I mean, people into 'heavier' listening styles are not going to find anything of interest and as a consequence aren't going to pay attention to a DAW/VST that appears to be genre specific. I suppose that only really applies to the demos on Jo's website but still applies elsewhere. :? :clown:

Oh, how I know your concern! That's what I was afraid of when I listened to the earlier OSCs, where every single top 10 entry appears to having been dance, trap or goa of one sort or another. Some exceptions were there, of course, but that's what it seems to have been.

For many years starting in the 90's most demos were either EDM or jazz and nothing truly musical or "progressive". Right now it seems like we're detaching from those rusty habits and things are getting interesting.

That might all be worthy of its own topic, come to think of it...maybe. Either way, I get your point, but can't really fully make the connection to this OSC#80. There were "rock" entries, progressive electronica, EDM, IDM, themed soundtrack like tunes, "program music", and, yes, chillouts and ambients and funky little jazz tunes into weird ass experimental stuff. It seems so odd to me that any one person would say: "There's nothing people could find interesting" - just because you couldn't find anything you'd like in particular, hmm...funny. It's totally fine, if you said that, you know; you couldn't find anything of interest.
Worst part is, if you listen to current pop music, which is being sold in the billions, it's all something no serious musician (I'm saying "serious", not "professional", that's not necessarily the same!) can truly find interesting. It's the same freaking 2 songs, both of which are 50 years old. And right now it's worse than ever! We used to be upset about Rick Astley or what he was called and Modern Talking, hahaha, nowadays their producers seem like visionaries compared to how cookie-cutting is done these days, it's insane. It's one single solitary formula that screams obviousness and only total rarities among the "stars" mildly break that mold.
So, if you're looking for popular interest, your selection would ideally reduce to one single song in like 4 different styles and that would be it.

@Taron ~
There's nothing people could find interesting" - just because you couldn't find anything you'd like in particular, 

I didn't actually say that! I said people into heavier styles won't find anything interesting. Though, I should've said 'may not' instead of 'won't'!

But yeah I agree with all you wrote.

Ah...my bad. Glad you agree on the rest, though. :)
Point remains that you should consider giving it a go or have some dry runs here by us for critique and support. I know, I'm happily helping and I expect a bunch of people here to be there for you, too. In fact, that's kind of the great thing inside the OSC. Alone my very first month with them taught me heaps about mixing. It's a great gang! ;)
With you in it that would mean you could make it interesting for the "intense" listeners crowd! 8-)

Here is a playlist of all tracks sorted by number of votes. Cheers to all creative souls!! :phones:

https://soundcloud.com/mutools/sets/mux ... ontest-oct

Return to “MUTOOLS”