.VST to remap controllers?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are there any small (free ?) VST's that would allow you to remap controllers?

i.e. I want to take pitch bend and be able to use the wheel as a channel pressure, which most of my keyboards don't have. So when I want a second modulation source, I just use the pitchbend wheel.

Now, if it were really possible, what I'd like to do is to allow pitchbend in one direction; but any NEGATIVE bends then become channel pressure.

(And the other reason is that I got a Casio ctk 3200 as an inexpensive 61-key keyboard with velocity, but it ONLY has pitchbend and no modulation. I'd rather have modulation than pitchbend most of the time...).

So, a VST "filter" in the path before the VST, and my $129 keyboard would have modulation instead of pitchbend, rather than have to draw it in...
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

You could try midiConvert 3 from the Piz midi collection. But I´m not sure if it will work with negativ bends
sending as second controller.

edit: with 2 instances of midiConvert you can make that trick

OK the midiConvert3 seems to work in the "basic" mode... I can convert the pitch bend into modulation. Took a bit of tweaking of parameters.

I think the "ultimate" pitch bend one way and modulation the other way probably needs a rack set up. Good exercise B-).
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Got it working with this parameters:

for the first device: bending down:

Input Type: Pitch Bend
In Param1:
In Param2:
Channel In: Any
Low Input: -8192
High Inut: 64
Map Mode: Stretch/Strtech
Low Output: 127
High Output: 0
Offset:0
Output Type: Channel Pressure
Out Param 1:
Out Param 2:Inertia:100
Channel out: No Change
Thru: Thru All

for the second device: bending up:

Input Type: Pitch Bend
In Param1:
In Param2:
Channel In: Any
Low Input: 0
High Inut: 8191
Map Mode: Clip/Stretch/Limit
Offset:0
Output Type: Pitch Bend
Out Param 1: Smooth
Out Param 2:Inertia:0
Channel out: No Change
Thru: Thru All

To do this, you would put them in a rack, midi in to both of them (in parallel), and then midi out on each to the combined midi-out pin?
Or do you put them in series to avoid midi note-doubling? I do see the "at rest" value of +64 on the negative "channel pressure" which would reset IT when you release the wheel.

If something isn't in the exact range of low-to-high input, then the "thru all" will pass without processing?
(I suppose if it actually works for both, then it would have to...).

I found I had to use the "block converted" to avoid the unwanted pitch bends which seemed to comme through in parallel with the channel pressure.

... uh this is getting nerdy

I made this with trial & error and the midiConverts serial; but because of a strong lfo modulation I didn´t hear that it still pitches down...
So now getting both packed in a rack and working parallel, and because it is now doubling noteon - each
midiConvert is set to converted only needing now a third plugin named midNotchFilter which also works parallel - and is blocking pitchbend.

Return to “Tracktion”