Recording from 2 inputs at once (n00b help request)

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hello everyone,

I'm sorry if this has been answered previously (and please link to the thread if it has), but I'm trying to figure something out. I want to record from 2 inputs at once, such as using an acoustic guitar's internal mic and an external mic, to 2 separate tracks in MuLab 6. When I try to set up 2 input channels, both default to recording from the same input.

Is it possible to do this with MuLab? On this page http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mulab/recording.html (http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mulab/recording.html) it looks like it should be, but I can't seem to setup the channels properly.

Thanks in advance for those who are able to assist!

MuLab 6 uses a modular way of setting up audio recording. In the case you describe you have to make sure that you have 2 separate tracks each of them linked to a separate audio recorder module, and each of those 2 recorders receive input from 2 separate audio input modules that are setup to receive from the inputs you want. In the next MuLab 7 this will be simplified. Anyway, in MuLab 6 it works fine once you have setup it properly. If you have any remaining questions just ask.

Thanks for that, I'm sorry to sound like a complete novice, but I'm not 100% sure how to do what you've described, I haven't really dived into MuLab's deeper functions that way. Is there a tutorial video, or a some screenshots or something which you could link me to?

Many thanks in advance!

Start MuLab.
Click MuLab -> Audio Setup, Yes -> Select Inputs. Make sure your hardware inputs are enabled. Click OK.

Switch to Modular view.
You'll see one input at the top routed to "Audio File Recorder" - double click to configure the audio input.
Add an audio input for each source you want to record (right-click, Add module, MuTools, Modules, Inputs/Outputs, Project Audio Ins). Configure each to match the hardware input (double-click).

Switch to Compose.
Add a new Audio Track. In the popup that asks you to select the audio recorder, select "Audio File Recorder" and click OK. Here you can rename it if you wish. Make sure you're recording from the first audio input, then click OK.
Add a new Audio Track for each additional input, selecting "New Recorder", then OK, then configuring the input.

You can also adjust the routing back in Modular view - right-click, auto-arrange will help sort out the "mess" :).

Return to “MUTOOLS”