a couple ideas for MB-7 - smart controls and LP crossovers

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there.

My first idea came about because of the new KHS multipass plugin which shows the fx ready to tweak in one big overview.

I was thinking, perhaps MB-7 could add something like logic smart controls. Say there is a button MB7 that flicks it to "fx overview" mode, then rather than the crossovers/faders/inserts, we see a row of 8 controls for each inserted effect for super fast easy tweak and automation.

Of course these would be user assignable as to what parameters of each effect would be erm, affected.

Second idea is for optional linear phase crossovers. The crossovers are good but still not perfect and are no way good enough for use over a full mix and for mastering duties.

So i thought about it.. what's the big deal if MB-7 let's the user choose if they want a latent, "flawless crossover" option? With almost every DAW having full pdc, unless the user is going into MB-7 live, i bet most would choose the latent ones to have perfect crossovers. I know I would. I have complained about the crossovers since day one as you know and nothing has ever changed - i really hope this will be taken into serious consideration. I can't see any disadvantage for anyone here as MB7 would itself remain zero latency to those using the current crossovers, and since it already supports full latency reporting to the DAW, it would only need to add the crossover latency to the plug in latency when reporting, and everything would be in sync and phase accurate.

Hi Theo,

Thank you for the suggestions. I guess the "smart parameters" would work like the mapped parameters in Blue Cat's PatchWork? If that's the case, this is indeed something we indeed have in mind, but it is not straightforward given the internal architecture of the mutiband processor.

Linear phase is indeed an interesting option, as we now support dynamic latency compensation in most DAWs, which was not the case when the plug-in was first released.

ahh i see, are those 8 knobs at the bottom of PW, assignable to inserted fx parameters?

If so yes that was what i had in mind, to switch to that view "permanently" as a mouse click option, to have a row of those controls for each effect insert, so the only thing you would see is effect insert name (so you could still open the full gui of the effect), the smart controls, perhaps wet/dry and gain.

I just thought of another thing, if it's too tricky to have backward compatibility and add LP crossovers, you could provide a "MB-7 LP".dll and .component, for example. I would be so wrapped if we got a "perfect crossover" option. You can hear the izotope and fab filter multiband crossovers for examples of true perfection, and the latency really isn't that bad. (make sure to select the correct crossovers in the options, for izotope it's hybrid, for fab filter i can't remember as my demo ran out).

The other thing is, there is a ZERO latency RE:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... ereffects/

GSX has flawless crossovers at ZERO latency. it has sort of done my head in, how has he done this? Genius?
I tested them via null tests and they nulled to zero with the exact same sound on the next track, and the previous one having been split into 5 bands with GSX! I also dragged the crossovers around like crazy on a full mix and they were flawless.

SO theoretically perhaps you could check that plugin out if you have reason and maybe do something similar. Then again latency doesn't really matter on something like MB-7 in a mix context, but choosing the lowest option whilst still having perfect crossovers would of course be the way to go if possible.

Also i think you guys should check out RE format. You have some exceptional unique plugins that would smash the reason user's world.
Obviously MB=7 and patchworx can't be done but you could do dynamics and a couple of the others, and the free gain utility would be amazing and much needed.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”