Opinions on Spitfire eDNA Earth

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been getting more and more interested in this library, especially after checking out some of the "outside" cartridges by experts like the Unfinished. I'm not as interested in the EDM/Trance/Dubstep features as I am orchestral stuff mangled all to hell...say, beyond Albion IV.

Any help and opinions are massively appreciated. I do own Albion (original), I, III, and IV.
Ha ha suck it!

I'm also wondering whether cartridges like Kinematik can also be used in the Albion I Edna engine, or can those cartridges only be used in Earth?
Ha ha suck it!

Crickets chirping on this thread...

I am interested in opinions as well.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Isn't this Spitfire recycling their own material?:

"collection of electronic sounds derived, warped and re-birthed from Spitfire's collection of orchestral sample recordings..."

So users that got that kind of material already by Spitfire can make their own eDNA by putting them trough FX chains

It's not recycled (meaning you're not buying the samples you might have from them twice). They're processed and twisted, sound design-style - not just by using Kontakt's FX.

EvilDragon wrote:It's not recycled (meaning you're not buying the samples you might have from them twice). They're processed and twisted, sound design-style - not just by using Kontakt's FX.
ED, did you script the eDNA01 engine?

I have listened to a few HD videos on YouTube and the sounds I have heard are very sweet.

I am pretty certain that I am going to buy that during Spitfire's Black Friday sale.

The sample library is fairly large (about 30 GB I think)
Gribs

No, I didn't. All Spitfire instruments are scripted by Blake Robinson - incidentally a friend of mine through KSP wizardry. :D

The Edna library is terrific (the Kinematik cartridge is also a great buy). The only problem with such a large library is typical: you have quite a number of patches that sound very similar, and there's complete overkill on distorted bass, Reece, whatever you want to call it. Wobble to death. Though there's plenty to commend the library besides, it can be trying when going through the presets to find ones you like and come across so much EDM stuff...

I have to say this: EDM (and the genres proceeding forth from) is getting beat to death imo. I liked it for a good year, now the oversaturation is just ridiculous. Hasn't it lasted even longer than Grunge? Enough! It's just my opinion, but it's getting unbelievably boring and samey. But I guess that goes for any genre when pushed that hard. It just sucks that so many otherwise excellent libraries, most certainly including Spitfire, have such a preoccupation with the same sound...many of those sounds can be created by the user from scratch, with precious little knowledge of synthesizers.

Anyhow, enough complaining. There are so many other goodies in Edna that it's a small price to pay. An outstanding library overall...but make sure to buy the Kinematik cartridge with it, it does plenty more than Cinematic as well.
Ha ha suck it!

Apostate wrote:I'm also wondering whether cartridges like Kinematik can also be used in the Albion I Edna engine, or can those cartridges only be used in Earth?
I was wondering the same thing, but apparently the answer seems to be no. It will not work in the Albion 1 eDNA engine.

Sequent wrote:
Apostate wrote:I'm also wondering whether cartridges like Kinematik can also be used in the Albion I Edna engine, or can those cartridges only be used in Earth?
I was wondering the same thing, but apparently the answer seems to be no. It will not work in the Albion 1 eDNA engine.

Yeah, I had to find out for myself, but I'm glad I did. It's a great library.
Ha ha suck it!

Apostate wrote:The Edna library is terrific (the Kinematik cartridge is also a great buy). The only problem with such a large library is typical: you have quite a number of patches that sound very similar, and there's complete overkill on distorted bass, Reece, whatever you want to call it. Wobble to death. Though there's plenty to commend the library besides, it can be trying when going through the presets to find ones you like and come across so much EDM stuff...

Anyhow, enough complaining. There are so many other goodies in Edna that it's a small price to pay. An outstanding library overall...but make sure to buy the Kinematik cartridge with it, it does plenty more than Cinematic as well.
Hmm... thank you for the review. It sounds like your opinion of the library is a bit mixed. The presets in the YT videos sound pretty good but there are quite a few "EDM" type sounds in the demos.

I confess that my main interests are in the sound design.
Gribs

Gribs wrote:
Apostate wrote:The Edna library is terrific (the Kinematik cartridge is also a great buy). The only problem with such a large library is typical: you have quite a number of patches that sound very similar, and there's complete overkill on distorted bass, Reece, whatever you want to call it. Wobble to death. Though there's plenty to commend the library besides, it can be trying when going through the presets to find ones you like and come across so much EDM stuff...

Hmm... thank you for the review. It sounds like your opinion of the library is a bit mixed. The presets in the YT videos sound pretty good but there are quite a few "EDM" type sounds in the demos.

I confess that my main interests are in the sound design.
Well, if you're looking for that it's there. I mean, we're not talking Zebra or Largo-scale modulation options, no. But you can certainly fiddle with things (I'm being a bit vague to emphasize the not-exactly-vast programming options in Edna). I should also mention that the effects are pretty good, there's a convolution reverb with some more than useful IRs. In fact, when it comes to a great sounding library, Edna is top notch all the way imo.

Just make sure you put aside time to go into the presets and sort them out. One thing it needs is a far, FAR better way to organize favorites, a big negative against it.

I should mention, the basses aren't as one dimensional as I made them seem. I tweaked a patch to sound exactly like the classic, awesome, HUGE Moog pulses of our favorite early 80s films. It sounded better than the majority of similar patches in Monark and Arturia's Mini V. Really. So there's vintage, and it ain't particularly hard to exploit, or to get an impressive sound from.

With Spitfire's Black Friday sale coming up I recommend you trust me on this: buy it. You'll find uses for it.
Ha ha suck it!

Spitfire Audio is upping the ante, bringing in Brian Transeau to produce the follow up Phobos

Numanoid wrote:Spitfire Audio is upping the ante, bringing in Brian Transeau to produce the follow up Phobos
I don't think this belongs here. I know it says eDNA, but Phobos is a plugin, not a Kontakt library, or expansion of eDNA Earth.

When watching the video at Spitifire I think otherwise

First there was eDNA Earth, then Spitfire joined forces with ... BT -> Phobos

Spitfire Audio make many products, why would they mention eDNA Earth especially in relation to Phobos, if it wasn't linked with it ?

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”