Is it possible to use multiple soundcards in Tracktion T6+

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a general external soundcard that I use as mic inputs and output to speakers, and also I have Yamaha THR5 amp that can be used as USB soundcard for direct recording.

So, is it possible to enable both soundcards in T6+?

Ye s you can just download Asio 4-all it will allow you you run as many drivers you have connected to your computer

But I have official specific drivers for my both soundcards, I don't want use general ASIO4ALL.

Can anybody explain me, what is the problem in using more than 1 soundcard in the same time? Computer has a lot of devices, each deviuce has its own driver and computer use all devices simultaneously. I even can have more than 1 different mouses, printers, etc. What is problem that I can't use simultaneously first soundcard with its own driver and second soundcard with its own driver?

canis312 wrote:But I have official specific drivers for my both soundcards, I don't want use general ASIO4ALL.

Can anybody explain me, what is the problem in using more than 1 soundcard in the same time? Computer has a lot of devices, each deviuce has its own driver and computer use all devices simultaneously. I even can have more than 1 different mouses, printers, etc. What is problem that I can't use simultaneously first soundcard with its own driver and second soundcard with its own driver?

What you're asking for is the equivalent to your system trying to print to two printers sumultaneously, whereas most software does not handle. You can have more than one printer or audio card connected, but you can usually only use one at a time from a single piece of software.

Anyway, those are generally all standard Windows drivers intended for consumer requirements and use. ASIO is not, it was designed by a third party (Steinberg) specifically for professional audio .
ASIO, was not designed to support multiple soundcards/multiple applications at once, (presumably because it was designed at a point in time where those things had to be traded off against efficiency, low latency etc) . Other types of driver can do that, including the Windows drivers that ASIO4All sits on top of; it is capable of aggregating them into a single 'virtual' device.

Anyways, some DAWs might let you use more than one audio device at a time, subject to the limits of the driver type. That's better than most software which sends stuff to a printer, btw. Many do not, though, and Tracktion is one of them. The reasons for that design probably relate to stability and complexity. The solution to that is to use an aggregated device.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Because direct sound can not compensate the lowest to highest bit depth,sample rate and buffer size of the 2 or more sound cards but its possible an you could do it in Tracktion 2 and 3 but it was highly recommended not to do because of crashing do to the driver conflicting sense Asio4all 2 Tracktion has no longer added this feature probably do to the crashes because direct is what it say direct so 2 drivers running direct would need double the cpu because it's no compensation so Asio4all 2 is the best way to go I been using it for a longtime an it works fine with most drivers

Furthermore, some interfaces (and possibly some soundcards) use proprietary USB drivers that won't work under ASIO4All. Antelope's Zen studio is one of them.

canis312 wrote:What is problem that I can't use simultaneously first soundcard with its own driver and second soundcard with its own driver?
I don't know how it is in Windows today, but at hardware level it's (lack of) a synchronization between different devices' clocks (jitter too). There is a workaround: a resampling software bridge between interfaces - some people had success using Jack and the zita ajbridge. That is under Linux thought; Mac OSX can do something similar (?) called "aggregate device" too.

I don't have a mac, I never will have a mac and I don't like apple. Nothing to discuss ;-) . But I have to admitt, this is the only issue I think mac has a better solution, as far as I know it is possible with mac to mix different systems.
Asio itself and asio4all is way old and I don't understand why there is no further develpment in this issue.
horst

midklang wrote:I don't have a mac, I never will have a mac and I don't like apple. Nothing to discuss ;-) . But I have to admitt, this is the only issue I think mac has a better solution, as far as I know it is possible with mac to mix different systems.
Its also possible (depending on the DAW) on a PC using the operating system's native driver types. Just not with ASIO.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

You could route the audio via the one soundcard to the other via Adat, analog etc

I use Adat to connect Creamware Pulsars to Rme Multiface on the same machine, for example
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Tracktion”