FLstudio vs. Logic / Ableton

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: I don't think the point of this thread was to prove that DAW's are not the same.
I think it actually became at one point, after someone claimed FL is more advanced than Logic, that was turning point I guess, after that it all started adding up to it, with more people involved in that discussion, long quotes and all.

edit: yeah, page 3 :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

You're right. Same thing as usual i guess. :D

chk071 wrote:
jancivil wrote:That's some special pleading, though isn't it. It's a basic thing that a host should have, it doesn't, following a design paradigm that makes that a real problem. So, in service of being defense and competitive we have "all hosts do the same things". & "There is a great workaround"; which is in fact several steps in a total kludge and still the project window has your general settings time sig. So the ad populum argument prefers that the interest in it must be quite rare, and following that let's have doubts as to the integrity of the majority of people that would notice it. Give us a break.
I don't think i will ever understand how people who really need this feature spend so much time arguing about it, when it's so easy just to use another DAW if DAW 1 doesn't have the features you need. This is arguing on a purely theoretical base, because you don't use FL Studio anyway, and you never will because of this for you essential feature. What's the point really? DAW bashing fun? Can't think of another logical reason. Unless you really feel like FL Studio is very interesting, but this is an essential you got to have, so you're disapointed that it doesn't have it, and you would use it if it had, because you like the other stuff about it so much. Is that the case? And also, are people who are up to producing music for specific music genres which use automatable time signatures the target audience for FL Studio? Is FL Studio not doing well, because of this essential, lacking feature? Questions, questions.
The OP asked what Live or Logic can do that FL Studio cannot...

So the OP's question is being answered and jancivil is talking about a specific feature, not bashing a DAW in general.

Yeah and I stand corrected too, there's missing features involved too, not just solutions.
Zexila wrote:Depends on what you do, someone tracking a band, scoring a movie or mixing a record can make a list, but it's not about missing features, but about more suiting solutions found in another, majority of DAW's are capable and can do pretty much same things, but some excel for some.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

OP, Did you ever consider Sonar?
https://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR

It seems that it does mutli-touch a bit better than FLS.
Has a multi-touch keyboard, though not ractorized.
Recently adapted real-time audio recording.
Has ARA
Better and larger fonts.
Has a more conventional GUI and workflow than FLS.

I just today started to re-examine Sonar and may make
the switch from FLS. Time will tell.

FL Studio
Vectorized
Wraps the VST's. Love this feature.
Handles automation very well.
Last edited by Kalamata Kid on Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

BTW...Sonar seems to not have much in the way of scoring either.
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Zexila wrote:Yeah and I stand corrected too, there's missing features involved too, not just solutions.
Zexila wrote:Depends on what you do, someone tracking a band, scoring a movie or mixing a record can make a list, but it's not about missing features, but about more suiting solutions found in another, majority of DAW's are capable and can do pretty much same things, but some excel for some.
You are not the only one. I stand corrected as well.
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

I'M IN BIG TROUBLE!!!! MONDAY NIGHT I HAVE TO RECORD THE NY PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA USING FL-STUDIO AND STUPID EDISON WILL ONLY RECORD 60 MINUTES OF AUDIO PLUS I HAVE 115 TRACKS TO RECORD AND USING 115 EDISONS TO RECORD EVERY TRACK IS A PITA!!!! THIS BLOWS!!! WHAT AM I GOING TO DO NOW!!! IT'S TOO LATE TO BACK OUT CAUSE I TOLD THEM I WOULD DO IT!!! THANKS FOR NOTHING IMAGE-LINE!!!!!! I HATE YOU!!!!!!!

:hihi:
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Reaper to the rescue :hihi:

Orbit-50 wrote:I'M IN BIG TROUBLE!!!! MONDAY NIGHT I HAVE TO RECORD THE NY PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA USING FL-STUDIO AND STUPID EDISON WILL ONLY RECORD 60 MINUTES OF AUDIO PLUS I HAVE 115 TRACKS TO RECORD AND USING 115 EDISONS TO RECORD EVERY TRACK IS A PITA!!!! THIS BLOWS!!! WHAT AM I GOING TO DO NOW!!! IT'S TOO LATE TO BACK OUT CAUSE I TOLD THEM I WOULD DO IT!!! THANKS FOR NOTHING IMAGE-LINE!!!!!! I HATE YOU!!!!!!!

:hihi:

can't one record audio straight to track in FL?

No one records audio straight to track in Fruity Loops Studio 12! This will make me famous.

FL Studio can be fun to work in. But it's very compartmentalized in nature, which works for some people.

I agree. It's like Channel, Track, Audio clip, Automation and CC are existing in top hierarchy. Software doesn't serve you to fold them visually within a single related track. You have to organize them. Some people like those elements are automatically folded in a hierarchy called Track.

chk071 wrote:
jancivil wrote:That's some special pleading, though isn't it. It's a basic thing that a host should have, it doesn't, following a design paradigm that makes that a real problem.
Give us a break.
I don't think i will ever understand how people who really need this feature spend so much time arguing about it, when it's so easy just to use another DAW if DAW 1 doesn't have the features you need. This is arguing on a purely theoretical base, because you don't use FL Studio anyway, and you never will because of this for you essential feature. What's the point really? DAW bashing fun? Can't think of another logical reason.
And assigning intent, 'all you're doing is bashing' is logical? Who spent 'so much time arguing about it', you or me, or both? Purely theoretical? Well, it's about an objective fact or facts. So if there is someone that wants to make the fact-based decision, there's the "great workaround": if you want a different t.s. than the project, you deal in patterns and apply the division of a bar accdg. to its # of beats* to the pattern. And the project settings aren't changed. The facts can't be debated; I just notice you think interest in the norm of time sig. is weird. Well, I think thinking that this concern is rare is weird. But the whole point applies to this overarching 'all hosts do the same', or '99% of features are the same in all hosts' in a thread asking about differences. (*: FL doesn't actually deal in time signatures, it's bars and beats. "Bars" is the same as the nominator in a time sig (# of beats in a bar); "Beats" is the number of 16th notes. So 6/8 is expressed 6 over 2.) So, Logic deals in time signature in terms of time signature.
chk071 wrote:Unless you really feel like FL Studio is very interesting, but this is an essential you got to have, so you're disapointed that it doesn't have it, and you would use it if it had, because you like the other stuff about it so much.
My interest is in this fact, which is interesting to me primarily because it's so weird.

I'm not a FL Studio fanboy, i don't even own it, but i see your point, and apologize for my post. Guess i was in defensive mode, when there was no reason really, and it's perfectly fine to argue that FL Studio doesn't support automation of time signatures, if that's what you need in a host. The fact that i don't need doesn't mean that others don't do either, so there's no real point in arguing about it. I do understand that you and others feel like it's an essential function every DAW should have, so nevermind.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”