Overloud TH3 (Released)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TH3

EvilDragon wrote:
electro wrote:
Stoertebeker wrote:The interface with all the zooming involved is a bit of a PITA.
The TH2 interface was better thought out than every other AMP Sim
Nah, it's painful and RSE inducing after a while. It's not the best out there, far from it.
Which Reaper stock plugin is the best then? :hihi:

All of them - at least the layout of controls is concise and one-page, without unnecessary scrolling all the time.

I loved TH2. I'm not really feeling TH3 so far. I was going to buy it once my financial woes settled down (possibly won't be any time soon) but I don't like the new amp models, and I really hate the new layout. TH2's layout was fine with me, but Overloud really ruined it in TH3.

- The right click -> Add Module from TH2 was a great idea, I thought. But now.............what the heck is this?
- I get a CPU spike when initially loading TH3. I'm on an i7.
- The Fireball (BurnSphere) amp doesn't sound that good.
- Neither does the Mark II model.
- I get a weird noise when really driving some of the amps.
- The GUI window is way too small for the way TH3 functions with adding modules and preset loading.
- There's not really any new features from TH2 to justify the upgrade price.

Overall, the new version seems like a real stop DOWN from it's previous edition. It really does. I am majorly disappointed as I was really anticipating what TH3 would bring since I loved TH2 so much.

I am yet to try the demo, I guess at some point I should for myself.
I liked TH2, except for the GUI..really disliked it.... TH2 was my guitar effects/amps of choice until I said to hell with it and bought hardware again and also bought Scuffhamps S-Gear which for me is the best software guitar processing by far..

None of the audio demos of TH3 I have heard so far, has impressed me, tonewise, thus far.
From the few screen shots I have seen, I think I do prefer the TH3 gui over the TH2, after I try the demo, I may change my mind.
rsp
sound sculptist

I was referring to the interface of TH3 in my earlier post BTW. TH2 had an OK interface, TH3 is worse. The interface of, for instance, Guitar Rig 4 is a lot more efficient.

Stoertebeker wrote:I was referring to the interface of TH3 in my earlier post BTW. TH2 had an OK interface, TH3 is worse. The interface of, for instance, Guitar Rig 4 is a lot more efficient.
Pretty much agree...

incubus wrote:
blueman wrote:I demoed and thought it sounded brilliant, that the new interface was a significant improvement over TH2, but wtf do I know :shrug: :lol:
Well, no offense to anyone else, but out of all the talk on kvr, you are one of the only ones I've ever heard and that was some years ago. THAT sounded great, so I have a tendency to listen.

@Dimi: EVERYTHING he does sounds good.

Many thanks! And... :oops:

Gawd I can't get over the GUI. It's awful. Who in the world ever thought this was a good idea? It's like some weird prank. :dog: :dog: :dog:
TH3.jpg
And that's the rack part of the 'stage', so you're seeing a lot. A lot of presets open with you staring at a cabinet.
TH3b.jpg
Sounds great though, at least the new amps. I can definitely hear some Greg Howe going on with the Maragold. Such a crying shame I can't get over the GUI. I already have RSI from dragging things around just to see what amp is in each patch.

Worst GUI on an amp sim ever. 3GB of raw graphics, I salute you. You done buried this gem good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

They should at least make the panels collapsable and need to address stability issues ASAP.

Have they done away with per block presets?

Stoertebeker wrote:They should at least make the panels collapsable and need to address stability issues ASAP.
They are ! And the window is resizeable.

Just demoed TH3. Never had TH2. Some really good sounds in there. The UI is a non starter. I was sure I was missing something as there could be no way that they would release something like that. I'm referring to the zoom and scroll in order to make adjustments. What an oversight. What would work for me would be, double click on a component and it zooms that component to full plugin screen. Double click again and it zooms back out.

Also, if you want to load another amp (not a preset), there's no way to just clear whats loaded and replace whats there. You have to remove each component and then load a new amp. There should be a way to just clear the floor. There should also be an option to have the matched cab just automatically load without a screen popping up every time asking you This all feels very clunky and time consuming.

I own GuitarRig5 and Amplitube3. Their pretty good. I lean on A3 more these days, but I'm still looking for the ONE. I will spend more time with TH3 to get more familiar with the sounds, but again, that UI is just silly and I don't think I would ever be comfortable using it.

my guess is they wanted to target touch screens as well.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

kj.metissage wrote:
Stoertebeker wrote:They should at least make the panels collapsable and need to address stability issues ASAP.
They are ! And the window is resizeable.
Not sure why, but in my demo version (Win7, 64bit, v. 3.0.0.0) they are not collapsable and the window is fixed in size.

EDIT: Ah, I just figured out that I have to click on the green buttons named "Presets"/"Components" to collapse the panels, because I saw some guy on youtube doing that. A pretty unintuitive and non-conventional design choice. Can't see an option to change the window size, however.

Been laying with this some more… TRYING to like it, haha. There are a few good tones in here, among a bunch of garbage, IMO. But the worst thing is the absolutely atrocious GUI. The tweak zones for the knobs and switches is tiny, if you don't nail that knob exactly where they want you to, you're dragging the amp around instead of turning the knob. The switches are the worst offenders here, and take several clicks sometimes just to turn on a damn bright switch. There are weird inconsistencies, too. Why do some amps have a level control that's separate from the master volume (i.e. added by Overloud, and not part of the modeled amp) and some don't? If you change amps and get one without the level, you have to tweak the Out knob, and then if you switch to another amp that DOES have it, you have to tweak two knobs again. So utterly frustrating, and IMHO, unusable given the mostly so-so tones.
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

Return to “Effects”