Toughts on Maxxbass

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello guys

i need help, i don't know if i need this plug for beefing up my sub-basses, i know that MaxxBass creating some harmonics and giving impression of fuller low end especially on small speakers, but i figured out that, i can reach similar effect by using controlled distortion/compression ( adding even, and odd harmonics, then filtering out that don't need).

So question is do i need this plug? do it anything else ?

Any advice will be appreciated.

sorry for my poor English.

Best thing you can do is demo it man. Maxbass is very handy, if your monitoring is good.

Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote:http://mhsecure.com/metric_halo/product ... thump.html

Excellent and free
Different functionality than Maxbass though (I think).

No_Use wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:http://mhsecure.com/metric_halo/product ... thump.html

Excellent and free
Different functionality than Maxbass though (I think).
I was responding to the usage described in the op - 'beefing up sub basses'

Thanks for answers guys !

i already have thump, and its really nice plug, but don't work with sub-basses for me.

'beefing up sub basses' i just realize that is little bit miss-leading,i actually meant that i need add upper harmonics to my sub basses to make them more prominent and i am just wondering if maxxbass doing something else, what controlled distortion can not.

i will try a demo and shall see.

You could try a simple saturation plugin restricted to the frequency area where you want to generate harmonics? Run in parallel so you can gently introduce the amount you want.

What about Waves Renaissance Bass? I think its simpler version of Max Bass and some people picks this instead,
On sale for 29 bucks too.

I copied this from Waves below;

"delivers richer, deeper lows that sound great on any system. Using Waves patented MaxxBass® psycho-acoustic technology, Renaissance Bass makes tightening up the low end easier than ever, thanks to its simple, intuitive controls"

It seems that Maxxbass synthetically generates harmonics from the original signal which you then place this new range width somewhere above or below the range of the original signal.
Yes, it is excellent to use so smaller speakers can reproduce the lower bass range information.
I would guess there are 'spectral shaping' plugs that will do similar things with filtering. Compression when used correctly will accomplish similar results as you said. You can also widen the bass range within your bass synth using it`s oscillator section , no?

I think what`s unique about Maxxbass is how it does this...by re-synthesis.
Filters will take a quieter upper bass range and amplify it to match the lower louder fundamental range.When the instrument plays notes approaching the filtered/amplified range, those notes will also be amplified, and unless you have this whole range well compressed you`ll have a level problem to deal with.

Maxxbass is mostly for adjusting problemed or specialty material. I wouldn`t recommend it for everyday recording.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Get Meldas Multiband Saturator. It's even got a preset for this type of thing that I use all the time and it sounds amazing. Should be on sale for $26 right now??

Thanks again guys for replies !

i am already using saturation plugin on parallel track to introduce harmonics for my subs, but i don't like results (maybe its for my bad mixing skills ), and i tried trick with layering another OSC in synth, octave higher but again i don't like results, i am also tried different waveform like saw, but again result was not good. That s why i am wondered about MAxxBass, but i am afraid that plugin does not resolve my problem with subs (its problem of my mixing, i guess :( )......

Thanks ,annode, for letting me little bit insight to that plugin...

That s why i am wondered about MAxxBass, but i am afraid that plugin does not resolve my problem with subs (its problem of my mixing, i guess :( )......
Maybe i`m confused about what you want to do. Subsonics are not the bass fundamental of coarse. You can have low-bass(subsonic[harmonics]), mid-bass(fundamental) and upper-bass(harmonics) You want to bring the fundamental detail to the upper-bass range because it is lacking. This duty will help the fundamental bass detail be heard in speaker sizes not able to reproduce the fundamental detail information.

As for a second oscillator put a full octave above...this is way too high for this practice. So you will not get good results. To do this so it works can be complicated.

EDIT - In addition, it is important to remember that with oscillators you may only get the fundamental note and no harmonics upper or lower. The timber of an instrument varies a great deal. If there are some harmonics along with a fundamental, they can be isolated and then amplified. Maxxbass I believe takes the fundamental and generates harmonics that are lacking in the envelope.

You might isolate the range just above the highest bass note played. Amplify that range to create a louder range of harmonic detail.Be sure that the fundamental notes played are not in the new range since they will also be amplified.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

If it helps:

By subs i mean my root note of synth that producing sine wave, for example like A1 55.00hz, which is nicely feel when mix is loud and when monitoring is good, but when i listening on small speakers or low volumes its feels like its completely fade away. I know stuff about Fletcher–Munson curves , but when listening to good mixed/mastered EDM songs, its feel like they have enought bass, even on low volume or small speaker and i am just wondered if MAxxbass can do the trick.

Its hard for me explain that right, sorry, i hope that make sense little more.

If it's not showing up on small speakers, you need to add upper harmonics for it to cut through.

Return to “Effects”