Anyone using AGT with Reaper? I think have a piano roll issue...

Official support for: amplesound.net
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
I have AGT and use it in Reaper. I can make strum chord changes with my MIDI keyboard or the AGT main keyboard, but when I try to draw in a chord change at a measure in the Reaper piano roll, every measure in the song moves to the note that I've drawn in... (I will attempt to upload a jpg of whats going on). I think the issue is with Reaper, not AGT. My thinking is that I have must some setting that needs to be changed so I can make individual chord changes with my strum patterns. However... When I use the piano roll with the Reaper Coyote synth, I have no problems with drawing in my chord changes with the Reaper piano roll... Any helpful suggestions out there??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

What are yellow notes?

silverback
I'm not sure why, but Reaper's midi seems to be in a different octave compared to other DAWs.
I had the same issue. Try transposing the entire track down an octave (12 semitones)
Also, it appears that all notes are selected. Click anywhere to de-select.
R-click and drag around the notes you want to select. Drag to move. Control Drag to copy.

Ample Sound
Reaper color codes selected notes by velocity.
The yellow indicates the velocity of the notes, Also the color changes when notes are selected.
ABA, ABP, ABJ, ABU, AG12, AGL, AGM, AGT, AGF, AGG, AGP
MixBus 5 - Studio One Pro 3 - SynFire Pro
Windows 10 Pro - Core i5 - 16GB RAM - Focusrite Saffire Solo - RME Babyface

Thank you for the quick response... When I try to de-select as you suggested, nothing happens... When I right click and drag/circle either one or just a few items, everything comes up selected. It's like I am stuck in an all or nothing world! A friend mentioned that perhaps I'm using a "select all" tool of some kind??? But he had no luck finding a "select individual" tool. He's not a Reaper guy, but does have some knowledge of MIDI and piano roll.

I'll try the octave move you suggested when I get back into Reaper tonight. THANK YOU again...

Ample Sound question: The yellow is the color that everything popped up after I attempted to select one note to make a chord change. Velocity is the default in the piano roll.

The yellow notes are chord changing notes which are you using?

After importing a strum pattern, When I try to select a chord change note... say change to a G at the first beat of bar 6, my one click in that box results in all the first beat boxes being checked throughout the entire song...

I don't think Ample has anything to do with your editing problem.

Try loading a new Empty Reaper project.
Add a track
Insert "new midi item" and double click to open in editor
Pencil in some random notes

R-click and drag a box around some of the notes. The selected notes should change color.
L-click on one of the selected notes (still holding the Left mouse button) and try to move it.
Only it and any other selected notes should move.

If this doesn't work, You have a Reaper problem.
You probably need to remove Reaper completely, Reboot the computer and reinstall Reaper.

To Ample Sound:
I've made a short video in which I attempt demonstrate the problem I am having with writing chord changes in the Reaper Piano Roll.... perhaps this might clarify what I'm seeking to learn. The link is:

www.throwerypsi.com/AGT Piano Roll Chord Change Problem in Reaper.mp4

Thank you!

Boydbob: Thanks for all the tips... All indications one my end are that my Reaper MIDI system is OK... This morning I created, recreated, fixed and edited a bass line using the Reaper Coyote WT Synth MIDI function in Reaper and all worked well.

I was also able to right click and select notes, and groups of notes etc. as you suggested. Makes me think more and more that's it's a Reaper/AGT compatibility glitch or pilot error of some kind on my part...

Thanks for asking, please see below pic, C1 D1 in Cubase just are C2 D2 in Reaper. you just need to write\record chord notes(C1 - B2 in Cubase, C2 - B3 in Reaper) in Reaper, you could change chords.
111.jpg
And we attached the MIDI file, please put it in your Reaper.
Strummer01.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thank you once again for the prompt response. I loaded your Strummer01 file - and it worked perfectly. When I tried to duplicate it in a new Reaper project my same old problem came up. When I tried to move the note at bar 2, beat 1 to a different note for a chord change, ALL the first beats became highlighted... they move in unison with whatever I do with the note I wanted to move. (see fig 1 and fig 2). There is no way I can get the notes to act independently of one another in this Piano Roll. I think Reaper is the problem.

1. All notes became highlighted because you select them all, try to select one separately.

2. Try to write notes instead of moving notes.

I know what your problem is. You are looping one short midi file over several bars.
This is done by grabbing the right end of the file and dragging it to the right.
If you look at the midi file in the TRACK view, NOT the editor view, there will be small notches at the top of the midi file every several bars that indicate this.

If you click on or move any note in Editor view, all the other looped notes will be selected or moved.
You can undo the looping by grabbing the Right end of the file and dragging it back to the 1st notch on the LEFT.

If you want to extend a midi file and still be able to edit it,
In Track view, click on the midi file, then CONTROL + D will duplicate it. Each duplicate can be individually edited.
If you want it to be one long midi file, click on the first one and SHIFT click on the last one to select them all. Then Right click on the file and select "glue items" from the menu.

Thanks Boydbob, I got the exact same answer on the Reaper forum late last night. That did it! I sincerely appreciate your continuing assistance on this matter! It's been a real head-banger since I bought the program!

Hi,

This 2 seconds video will show you the HUGE problem: the strummer doesn’t play anymore the chords edited in the piano roll (hear the 2 last chords) !

https://youtu.be/UBZnNMcnbiM (or attached file if it works)

It’s very strange because I never had this problem before. Opening the reaper file (done under windows) in a Mac doesn’t change anything.

It has probably nothing to do with Ample Sound, because I noticed the problem with version 2.1 and 2.2 of AGP

It seems that the last Reaper update (5.1) is responsible, but it’s difficult to say, because all other plugins seem to work fine.

Do other users (or Ample Sound) have an idea about how to fix this ?

Thanks

Return to “Ample Sound”