Jackd on Linux: USB controllers not working

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's great that Bitwig now supports Jack and we can take advantage of lower latency audio. However, with jack enabled Bitwig refuses to read anything from my Launchkey Mini. I use the Launchkey 49 script, Bitwig sees the controller and I assign it. But it won't read or send anything to it. If I disable Jack (which means dropping back to ALSA) the Launchkey operates as it should.

It kinda makes Jack support pointless, since the one of the great features of Jack is the routing opportunities both internally and externally.

Has anyone else experienced this before a log a bug report?

I haven't checked yet with my LaunchKey Mini on a recent version of Bitwig ( I will do so later , when I upgrade bitwig on my main machine ), but perhaps you might be using the wrong midi driver? afaicr I am using the midi seq driver, .
Maybe post here your jack settings with command:

Code: Select all

cat .jackdrc
and also which modules are present at runtime with command:

Code: Select all

lsmod | grep midi

The only thing i coulnd´nt get working on my Launchkey 49 is the sustain pedal i got.

set midi driver to None in qjackctl settings

No luck after some more fiddling about. I had Midi Driver set to "none" previously. Changed to SEQ and no change. I've also tested with my Stage piano coming in through my FastTrack Pro. Something which also worked previously and it's broken as well.

AFAIK Bitwig doesn't use Jack at all for Midi so the setting won't make any difference. However, it's obvious it's getting in the way of the ALSA driver when it's active. I tested all of this on my laptop and had the same result. With Jack enabled it breaks Midi input and it's only happened since the Jack audio support arrived in 1.3

I had no troubles with jack and midi since first release till current 1.3.4 version.

If midi is working with alsa and is not working with jackd it means jackd is grabbing your midi so it is busy for bitwig.

Sussed it out. It was a2jmidi getting in the way. If I start Bitwig before a2jmidi then all is good. Thanks for the help guys.

Return to “Bitwig”