Looking for a specific time-based audio Noise Gate plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

As I'm searching through the plugin database right now, I thought that I'd ask this here as well:

I'm looking for an audio noise gate plugin (AU Mac only) that would allow me to set the actual gate via the hold time only (not the threshold). I need to be able to set a specific hold time, for example 7 seconds, and have the gate close at 7 seconds irrespective of the threshold level.

.....As I was typing this I tried a quick google search and found this:

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/advance ... wire-grind

This noise gate has what they call 'time-based muting', which looks like what I'm asking about, but unfortunately it's PC only.

If you know of something similar for Mac, I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks,
R.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Im not sure i understand.

If there is no threshold involved, how is the plugin going to know when to start the countdown?

Sorry for not being clear. 'Threshold' would be needed, as you say, it would probably be set to something like a very low value, say -80dB. So the signal is triggered, but then the gate closes according to the 'hold' time value only. So, this hold time value overrides the low threshold value.

Noise Gate plugin manufacturers....what say you? I have cash ready. Can your plugin do it?

What about a MIDI triggered gate? It has to be automatic?

definitely can be done very easy via midi. Something like G8 or Eareckon gater are cheap awesome products that have full midi control.

But of course they do rely on the threshold for how open and closed they are like a normal gate just that you trigger it

that said it obviously would be the same thing cause you could set up the threshold and a/r to suit then control WHEN you want it to gate and for exactly how long via a simple midi note. I am sure this is a way to do this for you in the meantime.

I know of no plugin on mac that does automatic gating based only on the hold time

camsr wrote:What about a MIDI triggered gate? It has to be automatic?
The audio is triggered by Auto Sampler (in Mainstage) so I'm not sure if a MIDI gate would work here?

It sounds like a good idea for artificially muting the envelope of samples.

If its not already possible in the new DMG Expurgate, a future feature request may get it implemented.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

You can specify up to 4 seconds hold in DMG Expurgate so it doesn't quite get you there unfortunately. Why 7 seconds out of interest?

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

djscorb wrote:You can specify up to 4 seconds hold in DMG Expurgate so it doesn't quite get you there unfortunately. Why 7 seconds out of interest?

Cheers

Scorb

all noise gates have hold, this is not what the OP means. He wants to be able to gate at any time for a set period of time regardless of threshold.

@himalaya, no you might be out of luck with a midi gate and mainstage, that said, i could be wrong.

Not all gates have a user adjustable hold time and regardless, a user adjustable and arbitrary hold time is exactly what he is asking for!
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

djscorb wrote:Not all gates have a user adjustable hold time and regardless, a user adjustable and arbitrary hold time is exactly what he is asking for!

i've never used one without a user adjustable hold time, ever. So that's interesting.

But that's not what he is asking for anyway or he would just use the logic gate.

You are both right since you are both talking about the same thing, guys.

Like Leo says, I want "to gate at any time for a set period of time regardless of threshold", which is to be dictated by the hold time, as djscorb highlights. But, I haven't found a Noise Gate that would go up to 7 seconds, or more.
Why 7 seconds out of interest?
This is the length of the audio file (an arbitrary length I decided upon according to teh needs of the sound) that's being captured by the Auto Sampler.

There is a bigger story behind what I'm trying to do, but the issue is basically caused by the Auto Sampler ignoring the sustain time parameter in its sampling properties. I don't know if it's a bug or me misunderstanding what this parameter ought to be doing. Anyway, the issue is bigger and involves multi-velocity samples which a normal gate will not 'gate' in a uniform fashion. The reason for this is that different dynamic ranges are sampled for each key, hence the need for a gate that will function via the 'time' parameter so that each velocity layer is gated equally. Otherwise, a standard noise gate closes at different points for each sample, which has further problems for me down the line...

Ok, maybe making a ghost track perhaps with a sampler playing a tone or noise sample feeding the sidechain of a gate could achieve what you require?

Cheers

Scorb

Himalaya, but that hold time would be dictated by threshold anyway to begin with.As in to get the gating to happen you would need to set the right threshold. Honestly this has come off as really confusing IMO.

If all you wanted was a normal noise gate plugin that offered a hold time of at least 7 seconds, that's all you had to ask lol.

iv'e got quite a few noise gate plugins, i will check them and see if any have 7 seconds hold.

Return to “Effects”